ad: QuirkyQRP-1

The Solar Eclipse Is One Month Away!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX2R, Mar 8, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ah...just wondering...are you planning on using a parachute or an umbrella?

AK5B likes this.
  2. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

No such luck in Hawaii this time :(
    KH6/G3SEA

KA1BSZ likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you asked...

No.

I am conveying an 'informed speculation'.

The traffic situation will be unprecedented because the areas affected are encompassing much of the interstate routes east-west, and many north-south.

No one is equipped to handle it.

In the extreme, if a hostile entity wished to attack us with major cyber, this event would be the one to do it. That would truly knock out much of the logistics infrastructure at a time when normal business operations are compromised by lack of personnel and roads are clogged. We would be naive to assume that has not been considered, IMO.

As an astronomer I think only happy thoughts of celestial events. People? Not so much.

;-)

N1VAU, AK5B and KA1BSZ like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, much of the trash will be walking and talking;-)

Heheh!

AK5B likes this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Doc. Yes, people... not so much. Should be an incredible event! Enjoy!!

KA1BSZ and W1YW like this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Who wants to hide this beauty?

Sun_120324.png

AK5B and KA1BSZ like this.
  7. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I drove to a small town in Tennessee to shoot this picture.

[​IMG]

W9JEF, W6MCN, KA1BSZ and 4 others like this.
  8. WG0ATS

WG0ATS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ive seen the eclipse in 2017 but 8 so dont really remember much this year i hope to seeit through my telescope with a solar filter

KA1BSZ likes this.
  9. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, great capture of the diamond ring effect.

DO1FER, KA1BSZ and K2GSP like this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife's little hometown in Utah was middle of the road for the partial (annular) eclipse last year.
    OMG - what a mess. The desert outside of town was flooded with autos. Traffic was a mess the day before and after.

To see this
    upload_2024-3-13_11-19-34.jpeg

the surrounding desert was filled with these
    [​IMG]

Many jurisdictions are activating their EOC and so on.

Rock concert indeed.

W1YW, KA1BSZ and K2GSP like this.
  11. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks.

KA1BSZ likes this.
  12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The last eclipse I recall in this area was late in the afternoon, and I was on the way home from a one-week camping trip.

My recollection is not even close to radio related. As I drove by there was this young gal on a farm in the middle of a pasture who was standing between two horses, holding onto the reins. The horses had their backs to the sun. Can only assume she did not want the horses staring into the sun.

KA1BSZ likes this.
  13. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are some indications of how many people are expected up here in the northeast. St. Johnsbury, VT 30,000; Littleton, NH 50,000; Newport,VT 30,000; Burlington,VT 100,000; Barre,VT 40,000; St. Albany,VT 60,000; Swanton,VT 80,000; Middlebury,VT 70,000; Ruthland,VT 70,000; White river junction,VT 30,000; Fairlee,VT 15,000; Bradford,VT 20,000; Bennington,VT 60,000. These figures are based on traffic on major roadways I-91,89,91 and 7. ROUTES 2,4,5,7,9,103,106,302,14,12,30,100,102 and 25 from the VERMONT STATE POLICE, AGENCY OF TRANSPORTATION, VERMONT EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT, It is predicted that most of the heavy traffic will start to show that weekend starting about Friday afternoon and the heaviest return traffic should begin later after the event and continue late Monday night. Most of the heaviest traffic should be on the interstate highways. Every available state police, county, local, us Marshall, border patrol will be on duty all the day before, during and day after.

14. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I traveled from NYC to Festus, MO in Aug 2017 for the last total solar eclipse. It was so worth it. Scary, though, because there was cloud cover until roughly an hour before totality. Anyway, I'll never forget it. The temperature drop was a surprise.

If you actually live in the path of totality and the sky is clear, consider yourself lucky!

15. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Former Marine?

I was a Zoomie at one time, but still speak fluent Grunt.

"DELTA, Utah, Oct. 12, 2023 (Gephardt Daily) — Spectators throughout Utah will be looking skyward Saturday morning to catch a glimpse of an annular solar eclipse.

The so-called “ring of fire” eclipse is expected to attract an estimated 300,000 visitors to central and southeastern Utah, according to the Utah Department of Transportation."
    This is many multiples of the full-time resident count.
    I suppose being so close to Las Vegas and Calif in general didn't help.

Not everyone thinks load of tourists are a good deal - Solar eclipse threw Utah town, Navajo workforce into crisis - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

KA1BSZ likes this.