ad: ProAudio-1

QSO Today Podcast interview with George Allison, K1IG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Mar 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AH2EJ

AH2EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KH2TJ I am at NCTS Guam (as its called now) and i have to say I have heard from a few poeple that it was pretty "popping in its day" There is so much expantion here on NCTS. I was sad to see the cage was torn down by the time I got here... I think thats going to be the new entrance. MARS is around but scarce here...

73 Shane KN4IAS/KH2

I was sad to see this gone as well. I would of liked to have seen the cage! I got to meet Capt May (prior CO) a few weeks ago. He had a few good stories!

73 Shane KN4IAS/KH2

I have seen pics and not to mention whats still there!

73 Shane KN4IAS/KH2

2. K1IG

K1IG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shane, I was CO from 95-97; at that time there were 1,200 assigned to the NCTAMS -- 800 military (about half NSG) and 400 civilian. We were down-sizing then; three clubs (E1-E6, CPO, and officers) were consolidated into one next to the pool. The building shown as Navy Exchange on Google Maps was the CPO club, and we had a McDonalds next to the main gate. There were so many families living on base and at the housing at Royal Palm Drive that we two child care facilities on the base. Just after I left it was redesignated NCTS and about four years later I heard there were less than 50 military personnel assigned.

73, George K1IG

3. W0AJU

W0AJU Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

4. KB9AZZ

KB9AZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It survived the destruction of the volcano?

5. KB9AZZ

KB9AZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The CDAA at NSGA Winter Harbor ME located near Acadia National Park. I was station there as a CT from 1986-1990. I'm curious was the sailor and ham in question a CT in the navy or a Radioman?

[​IMG]

6. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the honor of working as a CT R-brancher at Skaggs Island, Adak, and Hawaii in these cages. I always felt safe at a Wullenweber site. It was the EC-121s, P3s, and fast attack boats that raised the hair on the back of my neck.

7. W4LZ

W4LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked at the same location from '68 to '70..CTT
    W4LZ Mike

8. W4LZ

W4LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KH2TJ

KH2TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N1NA

N1NA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, but so much better than the prds on the back or a 1/4 ton in "Nam". Went to the PRC 21 in Phubai and Danang and TWA (Teeny Weeny Airlines, with DF antennas). Glad I re-enlisted to the AFSS - greater SIGINT equipment. San Vito and RAF Chicksands. 25yrs old. E-5, Single, 45 minutes from London, saw all the great bands before they went to the US, and the mini-skirt had just been invented, and the ladies loved wearing them for us yanks. I was emaciated after the first 6 months LOL

11. AH2EJ

AH2EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

George, I just talked to Mrs. Norma, She said to say hello. She is still here. She said she has been through 14 CO's. She also remembers that ride you gave the XO and her in that new Lexus. =) Hope all is well and things are building up here in Guam. Lots of construction in preparation for the Marines arrival. You wouldn't recognize the base now.

12. NS4WT

NS4WT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked at Sinop twice (33P, later changed to 33Y); Hippy both times.

13. K1IG

K1IG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Say hi to Norma for me! I had that car for 12 years! I check the aerial views on Google maps from time to time to see what's changing on the base, but it's about a year behind. I can see that the old housing is gone and there are many more antenna domes... looks interesting. I always wanted to operate a ham station at the old HF transmitter site!