QSO Today Podcast interview with George Allison, K1IG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Mar 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OWNED...as in PAST TENSE??

;-)

2. KH2TJ

KH2TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't recall one being out on the Marshalls...I spent a lot of time at the one on Guam. Co C, Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion/NSGD Guam 1986 - 1988 and 1989 - 1993...TAD at IB while stationed at Pendleton 1st MarDiv 2nd SSCT/SSO. USN had the FRD-10's and Army/Air Force had the FLR-9's. Recall a smaller version deployed at a few sights as well - think called the "Pusher" ie Diego Garcia...Was last out on Guam 2010 and the Elephant cage was still standing but looked like it had taken some damage by a Typhoon. Most were shut down due to BRAC and OBE - newer collection methods on line ;-) Great times! 73, Todd KH2TJ (KG4TR @ NSGA Gitmo 85 - 86)

3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, I remember the hours operating KG6AAY next to the theater. I wonder what has replaced the dozens of these sites and thousands of ops and matmen today? Whatever it is will likely work until the first EMP or network failure ;-)

4. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KQ6XA

The Nike Zeus reflector next to the west end of the runway was torn down :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  6. KQ6XA

W7MAG, WZ4K and K8XG like this.
  7. K1IG

K1IG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bonnie,
    Thanks for posting the video... very interesting. The antenna on Guam was an FRD-10, and hardened to withstand typhoons. I left the station in 1997, but went back for a visit in 1998; all the watch standers had been replaced by a single laptop computer that relayed the signals to another facility for analysis. It was shut down shortly after that.

George, K1IG

8. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

All the big receiving and transmitting Farms are almost gone now. Most of the big shortwave stations are also history. There's a few commercial shortwave stations with some large antennas and WBCQ is building a brand-new steerable array. I think most hams love large antennas because we know it helps Communications quality.
    See K0UO on the QRZ call search for some large rhombic and Vee Beam antennas. Old technology still works!!!!

K0PV likes this.
  9. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not elephants.
    [​IMG]

KK5JY likes this.
  10. KB0VXN

KB0VXN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was born at the Misawa Japan site...my dad did Morse code intercept in the Air Force with the AN/FLR-9.

NL7W likes this.