ad: HamHats-1

Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a SHAME it does NOT cover 440 MHZ. If they could get it to cover 440, I really could see myself replacing my FT-100D!

W9WHE

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple of things...there is a mic adaptor available from Heil to allow the pro set to be used with the 7000. Also, the 7000 does cover 440

3. N4ZKF

N4ZKF Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't. I have had one a week now. I own a 05 F-150 super crew 4X4 and the radio is a noise nightmare!
    Now it's probably the truck I understand.
    This is my mobile office. I have a Laptop running off an inverter. Both of them eat the radio up. The ignition noise eats the radio up.
    I have the NB at 100% and doesn't take care of it. You can turn the NL on and it changes the tone of the audio so bad you can't understand anyone. Unless I have the truck off. It's a $1500 useless boat anchor.
    Dave/n4zkf

4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just worked a guy on CW who was running a new Icom IC-7000. His CW tone was VERY "hard" sounding. I do not know if this was just his rig or not.

Tom kcØw

5. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought - hopefully the ones that have the 7000 (or in the know) can answer this - given all the adjustments there is, could it be that something isn't set right causing all the problems people are having?

(I.E.) If I remember right the 7000's have DSP on TX as well as RX wouldn't that affect CW as well as audio if the passband was off?

6. EI2GLB

EI2GLB Guest

i see a review of the radio stating it has low output power on vhf/uhf 20/10w the are susposed to have 50w on vhf can anyone confirm this i'm planning to buy one for mainly 6/2m

7. KB7UXE

KB7UXE Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!
    It's started already.. Look at the 706's fer sale.. and the pirce is plumiting!
    And I'm still using my 12ax7 rock transmitter and my whisker reciever on 3.696 mhz.

One day I'll git me one of the 706's, then I'll have 2 frequencies!

8. N4ZKF

N4ZKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but it's not there with my FT-100. Guess I need to go back in time. It will be on Ebay this weekend if AES won't take it back.

9. NP4H

NP4H Guest

Hello Friends...

Have been looking at the IC-7000 myself and I am a bit concerned about the noise on vehicles. I see reference to two Ford vehicles, here David has an Explorer. I used to have one and noise was a problem. I suggest you take it to a Ford dealership and have a filter placed on the gas pump. That is where the noise is generated. It is done for free as a warranty job in order to correct the defect. They consider it to be a defect, that's why it's done for free. You can get more information on the job at the Ford or ARRL website. It help out nicely. Best wishes to all!

Nomar - NP4H
    [​IMG]

10. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>>...The separation cable looks idential to the 706 Mk II G versions...

They are not interchangeable - they each are unique.

>>...doesn't do 440...

Uh, the Icom IC-7000 certainly does operate on 440.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

11. N4ZN

N4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to be a stooge by soliciting more input Fred,..... but.... I take it that this model isn't "castrated" in the mic gain input department, like the 706 series was?

I have a voice tone or pattern that just doesn't excite a microphone very well, and need the extra "oomph" to get a radio to deliver full power. I hate having to run speech processing, especially mobile, to get 100w pep, as it ends up with 50w of solid cabin noise going on the air. Forget a Heil mic.... garbage with my voice.

Only rig I ever ran mobile that was compatable with my voice was a yeasu ft767gx2, and it just won't fit under the dash of todays automobile. Heil hc4 in a pro2 headset... excellent!

Be nice if this new jewel from Icom could compare.

12. W5ETS

W5ETS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like the Icom IC706MKIIG, the IC-7000 and all other radios that only have one antenna connection for 2m and .70cm are worthless. You need to be able to run a separate antenna for each band, therefore there should be a connector for each band. There should also be a separate antenna connection for 6 meters. This is especially true for the IC-7000 and IC-706MKIIG because they are only 20w on .70cm. When you are on the road and in the fringe area of repeaters, you are better off with separate antennas and eliminating loss of the built-in duplexer. I understand most people want a single antenna so their vehicle doesn't look "ugly", but you're wasting time and money.

73's,
    Erik Smith, W5ETS
    w5ets@yahoo.com

Chairman, San Antonio Radio Club Swapfest
    http://www.w5sc.org
    swapfest@w5sc.org

13. W9JI

W9JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred,

I cannot believe the quality of those pictures, what camera did you use for that?

I am considering buying a digital camera and I want that kind of quality!!

14. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not Fred but I'll see if I can help.

I got an HP - E217 at Staples on sale for around $80.
    Put NiMH batteries in it (Lasted about 2 weeks now)
    Takes excellent 4MP pictures.

Check this out & hope It helps.

73 - Tim

15. yc8taf

yc8taf Ham Member QRZ Page

i have been used icom 706 mk ii , sound a like great radio , icom 7000 for mobil rig .:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.