ad: CQMM-1

Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0IRL

K0IRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious about your comment about Kenwood and how they are "behind the curve" with respect to technology. I own a TS440SAT and have loved it. Even as a used rig, it has been a great radio. I'm considering the TS480HX (love the autotuner - that's what I love about the current KW rig). Is there any reason I shouldn't buy that radio?

Chris,
    k0irl

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, other than the fact that the HX version doesn't have the tuner in it (the SAT version does), no. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. WB4DX

WB4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned all three versions of 706, and all had terrible vhf / uhf receivers, full of intermod and front end overload, it was like running an ht on a mobile antenna.
    I think 3 strikes and Icom is out for me with this style of rig, they are too pricey (even more so now with the 7000) to gamble with. I do own an IC 208H which has an excellent receiver so what went wrong with the 706's?
    Who knows, but without some sort of trial period, I don't think I want to go through those headaches again.

[​IMG]

4. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Without being mean, nasty or offensive I'd say Fred’s observation is dead on center. Look at what Kenwood offers the amateur community and then look to Icom and Yaesu, it's that simple. Fred didn't mean your 440, and by the way I owned myself for 7 straight years and loved it, he didn't mean your radio is junk. Kenwood chooses not use today’s technology in its amateur radio products for reasons they obviously believe is good business sense. The amateur community is small compared to Kenwood’s true market reach and they probably feel it's not worth the cost of keeping up with the other manufactures given the returns they receive for the investment, and they don’t HAVE TO. It’s business, just business. An old Kenwood HF rig still receives as good as the rest of the heap and no one can discount that fact, which Fred wasn't doing.

5. KC5UN

KC5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I wish they'd included an autotuner in the '7000, even if it made the box a little bigger. I plan to mount the face remotely, so a few extra centimeters is of no consequence in the trunk or under the seat.

I'd swapped my ol' '706 for a '703 in the car just to try it out right after I bought it. Thought I'd keep it there for a few days; however, I liked the tuner (and the receiver) in the '703 so much I left it in the car rather than putting the '706 back. That was two years ago. Having 100w available is attractive with propagation being what it is, so I'll probably end up giving the '7000 a try (with an outboard LDG tuner).

Tom, KC5UN

6. W2IO

W2IO Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one of these for Christmas. Much better than I thought it would be.

My wish list:

* A way to move memories between banks, without transferring to VFO and losing the name.
    * A faster method to change the power out than the QuickSet menu.
    * Software to allow remote loading of memories
    * The ability to have 50 MHz be on the VHF/UHF antenna port.
    * The DTMF thing.
    * A little more audio shaping in transmit (too much bass).

Nothing too serious, really.

Rob
    W2IO

7. W0GE

W0GE Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Well I got one and I love it . Great on all bands. Iam a radio nut. I like VHF/UHF scanning,Shortwave DXING,UTES and AM/FM DX. This radio does it all.The notch filters are much better,the DSP noise reduction is better than the 746 PRO, and the 706MK2G which I also have. Noise reduction level set at about 30% does not distort the audio like the other rigs do. Its a neat radio,heck it even works great on on 20M! The only thing I didnt like is Icom changed the power cable. Its the same power cable that kenwood uses on the 480. I am going to have lots of fun with this one. "73" de W0GE/Paul

8. KA0SAB

KA0SAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok I just completed my 3,500 mile trip for the Holidays. And my 7000 performed great.
    I did not have any problem reading the read out.
    The filter system is great, I used it on 17.20.40,75 meters and it is alot better rig then my 706 mkIIG.
    I talked to a couple of hams on 40 meters that seem kinda crude in there use of the ham bands out of CA. NV. anyway I was on my way back to CA. and one of them said he had bought a 7000 and when he used the filter system to narrow things down it made his voice seem too high. Well that might be so but I didn't find this yet. He also said he called I com about this.
    In this group they all seemed to have high tones and no lows too there voices, except for one who sounded good and he was on a Icom 706 MKIIG . So I don't know for sure what it was about his 7000 . The man did say that he has a high voice already and that was his main problem.
    I have been told by just about all my contacts that if I had not told them that I was a mobile they were sure I was on a base unit.

I run the 7000 with a GS-3 screw driver ANt. mounted in the bed of my pickup truck, with 100 watts.
    My truck is a 2005 Dodge 3500 with a Diesel, I have had no problem with the noise blanker handeling the Ecm or injector noise.
    I did have in my Ford and my GMC, I have run Cat, Cummins and Det. engines and the most I have had trouble with is Cat. Ford, GM, injector and Ecm noise.
    On the cummins I only get injector timing noise if I am pushing it hard, and that is tuned out with the noise blanker.
    You can wrap your injector wires around magnets too stop this also.
    As for 2m & 440 or 6m, I run a seperate rig for 2m and 440 just because I use it at the same time on aprs, as my HF and really don't care if I use 6m .
    So my view so far is I am very happy with this rig.
    Yes I would like a usb port, or a adapter would be great. [​IMG] [​IMG] NO Guys I am not going too get into Ford Or Gm and Dodge and which is better, Just get more torque and better mileage out of my inline 6 Cummins. Same with all my big rigs inline 6 is better for Torque.

9. VE6DDE

VE6DDE Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a IC 7000 and I found it some what noisy on recieve but all the rest of the features are great. The radio has a transmit band width that adjustes the tini quality. I made the same mistake and had it set to narrow the first time. ve6dde

10. WV4I

WV4I Ham Member QRZ Page

$1500? Wow, I have 2 FT-857D's that cost $689 each that work great on mobile or base, HF/V/U. Even the 706MkIIG gets a little tough at $900. Perhaps the IC-7000 would be an upscale, yet compact, portable rig? Just my HO.....

11. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Great review. Well laid out and very informative.
     My question is, " Is the RF processor as good as the one in the TS480?" If I make the change, it's got to have a true RF Processor.
    Barry, KU3X

12. KB7IOG

KB7IOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom IC-7000 Review A+

Revised 10/17/2008

Great Review Fred.

I've had my Icom 7000 since Jan 2006. I run it mobile, it's a keeper. I have my Mic settings where I get very good replies from others. No mic changes or mods needed. I'm still having a blast and can't wait untill the next solar cycle.....well one with sun sport :)

To answer a previous SWR question, I spoke to a tech at Icom, "No SWR metering on 2m/440."

When I first transmitted on 2m or 440 I got "1 bar". It appeared to be a great match. I had to test mine with a bird meter to believe it. My match was way off. I looked into my dual band antenna and its coil was bad. I replaced the antenna with a new Larsen dual band and its SWR is great now. So, for those wondering, SWR metering is HF-6m only! I just received the Service Manual from Icom and have been thumbing through its circuit diagrams. It mentions SWR for the [ANT1] connector.

Revised 10/17/2008
    As for now I’m really happy with it the rig. It’s a great radio. I've had it on HF mobile since Jan 2006. I'm having too much fun! Really pleases with the Sidekick Antenna too.

http://home.comcast.net/~kb7iog/Mobile/Mobile.html

[​IMG]
    KB7IOG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  13. W8FR

W8FR Guest

[​IMG] [​IMG] Gosh! Fred, have you ever really used a TS-2000? I'm surprised at your disdain... It may look like a Studebaker (or a FT-847 w/o good lines), but it plays like a Rolls... 5 years in use at this QTH... Yes, they are missing the current "boat" on merchandise, but the products are reliable and folks always tell me, "You really sound good! Is that a Kenwood?" I like that..

73 Fred

14. BG6IGG

BG6IGG Ham Member QRZ Page

Where have China version ?How money?

15. AB1Q

AB1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.