ad: CQMM-1

Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KAL

K4KAL Ham Member QRZ Page

MARS and TV Modification information can be found on the Yahoogroups IC-7000 Discussion Group.
    This is the best review that I have read so far on this Rig, Congratulations to the reviewer for there efforts, and the pictures. I'm still going to wait until Dayton 2006 for the prices to come down, and the excitement purchases level off.:)

2. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Sometimes first impressions are the lasting impressions. When I saw the first print ad for the TS-2000 my first thought was that it looked like a melted boom box. However, I did take a trip to the Ham Station in Evansville IN to take a look at it and put it on the air. While it seemed like a very capable radio I knew that I would never warm up to the cosmetic design and gave it no further thought.

On the other hand while many hams love the design I wonder if it is the reason why it has received a lukewarm reception frm the ham community. I also took a long look at the TS-480 when it came out but knew that the always remote faceplate would be the deal killer.

Sometimes it is the little things you don't like about a product that keeps people away. Over a year ago I wanted to purchase a Ten Tec Jupiter because I was intrigued by the software defined design. I asked Ten Tec if I could download and run software updates via my Macintosh computer. I was told that I would need a PC. End of discussion.

I wonder how many otherwise good radios lost acceptance by those who might have been interested in purchasing but were put off by things that had nothing to do with the performance of the radio.

George
    K3UD

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't used this rig yet, but made my first contact with a new IC-7000 owner on Monday evening 12/05: This was N7WR, who said I was his first or second contact with it.

He spent a lot of time making adjustments (no problem, I was in no hurry and he was experimenting with menu settings and such) but no matter what, the rig didn't sound good to me on SSB. The narrow setting was horrendous; the wide setting was sloppy; the mid setting was so-so, to my ears. I tried listening on all three of my receivers, plugging the 'phones into each one (TR-7, TS-850S, 75A4) and the IC-7000 sounded the same to me in all three: Just kind of a "hollow" sound, like DSP on the verge of positive feedback and about to ring into oscillation.

This sound was made much worse if the speech compressor was engaged, so the rig sounded much better without that. We did "experiment" with several mike gain settings and compression settings, as well as the N-M-W adjustments, over a period of several minutes, but to me the rig never sounded good.

That said, the new owner raved about everything else and seemed very pleased with it. Signals were strong and I could certainly hear the enthusiasm over the air...contageous enough that now I'll be running over to HRO to check one out. I hope they have one set up at their "station," with antennas, so I can sit and use it a little while.

If it can receive broadcast TV signals while in motion (mobile), I might lose the rig to the kids on long trips...probably best not to tell them about this feature.

WB2WIK/6

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Or how about the opposite-how many truely poor performers become good sellers because of neat bells, whistles, and a pretty screen?

And where does this idea that the TS2000 looks "melted" come from? I really liked the looks of mine.

5. K3AAD

K3AAD Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I will add my $.02. Got my 7000 3 days ago. Had it up and running within 20 minutes. Works great. I have a 706 MK II G (for sale). I haven't found a problem yet. Agree with the comments about 2 clocks and the restrainer on the main tuning knob. Menu operation is very similar to the 706 though topics are different and many more of them. Setup is a breeze. I suspect one could use the same type expansion cable for the mic as the 706 but don't know that for sure. You are correct about the separation cable. Come on ICOM, give us a break. By the way, the carrying handle, if you want one, is $20.

Al - WA3YTA

6. KF6IRK

KF6IRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all for sharing your views and experiences with this new radio.

I DO like the features the new IC7000 offers, but based on all that I've read so far, I also see some room for some improvement.

I purchased one of the original IC706 radios when they first hit the market for roughly $1,300.00 and paid the extra $60.00+/- for the RMK706 kit. Then the upgraded MkII came along, and finally the MKIIG was out there for only $725.00 INCLUDING the RMK706 ... almost 50% less than the cost of the original model for a more refined version.

It is apparent that the 706MkIIG was well worth the wait, so I'll wait for the IC7000 MkIIG to come around. By then, they'll have the digital TV receiver circuitry in there too.

As for old / antiquated radios? ... I will continue to run a very nice TS440 out in my garage. I do have an original IC756 PRO-"0" in my office with no plans to upgrade anytime soon. As for the current Kenwood line-up ... a TS480's faceplate blends in with my wife's decor in the living room and should work fine there for many years to come.

KF6IRK

7. W9MT

W9MT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been drooling over the IC-7K ever since the preliminary sales information has been circulating. I'm happy to hear the good initial reports.

In the home qth I run a TenTec Jupiter 538 and an IC-746pro side-by-side. My pro is a low s/n unit that has never seen (thank heaven) the dreaded driver IC problem and I really love its ability to dig out the "weak ones" when used in combination with a ClearSpeech base unit. I have never been a fan of Icom's DSP noise reduction (makes things sound weird), but feel their noise blanker and auto/manual notching are first-class. The pro's adjustable filtering and RTTY decode work like a dream for me too. I find the 746pro to be a much more "professional radio" than the Jupiter, although I prefer the TenTec for casual rag-chewing and for its more intuitive U/I.

I have used a 706mk2g for mobile for 5 years already using ProAm Hamstick clones on HF and a no-name mag mount antenna for 144/440. That rig has never disappointed me, and I find that the narrow SSB filter fixes a lot of problems on 40m receive. Its NB was on all the time while mobile and works great.

I expect the 7K to be a combination of all that's good with my 706mk2g and my 746pro. Good job, Icom.

I have only one question: Why didn't you, Icom, include 220MHz coverage? I know the band's an orphan in most parts of the country, but here in the Chicago area there is reasonable activity and the RF circuitry appears broadband enough to host this. I miss not having this band on the 706mk2g and would miss it on the new 7K. Even Kenwood put 220 (albeit at lower xmit power) on their TH-F6A talkie. I really don't want to have to cart around my IC-3AT and Mirage brick to cover all bands 160 to 440 in my car, without gaps.

If the 7K covered 220 in addition to all of the other things it does, I'd start selling multiple radios right away to get one. Any comments, guys?

73, Tony (W9MT) [​IMG]

8. N7VR

N7VR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fred,

I just have a couple of comments.

First, when you are finished playing, you can send it to me fror a bench test and evaluation. No promises of return though [​IMG]

Second, all kidding aside. I do appreciate your shareing your experiances and findings. What you are sharing is the information most reviews miss and most of us wish to know. Please keep up enjoying the service.

Jim Fuller
    N7VR

9. KA0SAB

KA0SAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok this is my final writing on this radio.
    I have now tried it on all the HF bands and it is great!
    As for all the bells, If you think it's not worth it because you don't need color screen, fine don't buy it, but it helps me being able to see what is going on just by the color, so I don't need to put on my reading glasses!
    The filtering is very good.
    As for the way it sounds, look at the good writings that are here.
    TURN DOWN the Mic. gain , as someone wrote on here, and wow what a improvement it made.
    I have made 20 contacts and they have all said with the mic gain turned down to 40% it sounds great.
    Now for direct sun light I find it is easier to read then my 706MIIG, that being said I can still read it well, try reading your cell phone in the sun. [​IMG] No matter what you do in direct sun light, it will take some of the readabilty away by glare or brightness.
    I would like to thanks Icom for putting the button on the mic that I can push and not have to look at the read out and it will talk to me ans let me know what freq. I am on.
    More bells and whistles, but it can be a safety item for a mobile. I hope this one will last 500,000 mile like the 706.
    Everyone have a good Christmas!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. K9KLC

K9KLC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My TH-F6A does as much on 222 as on the other bands.  Are you sure you didn't mean the Yaesu VX6?  I totally agree though come on you guys include 222 in the radios...I'm sure some will buy it.

11. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Melted was the first word that came to my mind when I saw it for the first time. Just a personal perception on my part. When I saw the other poster commenting about it being melted I realized that I was not the only one who percieved it that way. Perhaps we both should have used terminology like "styling flaw", but strictly as ones opinion.

George
    K3UD

12. AI3W

AI3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how one uses the RTTY function - external keyboard? And why didn't they include PSK in it too! The defacto low power communicator.

73 DE AI3W, Rick

13. N2MH

N2MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

Thanks for the great review. I have several comments and a question...

Re: separation cable needing 10 connections vs. modular connections only capable of 8 connections... If Icom put their mind to it, they could multiplex everything and only need 3 wires (unbalanced) or 4 wires (balanced). The separation cable is aptly named: it separates another $80 from the buyer.

Re: USB connector... I'd be leary of using a usb connector in the mobile - it is not a locking connector and all the vibration would tend to loosen it and make it fall out. (I know, it happened on my laptop and made it freeze up.) Besides, as connectors go, it's a rather large connector compared to others. I do like your idea of Bluetooth or maybe even 802.11b or g.

Re: TV functionality has been disabled.. It was reported that this was done so that an automobile driver would not be able to see the screen while driving. This may be true but I would submit there is another reason. Very shortly, if not already, the FCC is going to require that anything defined as a TV be capable of receiving both NTSC and HDTV. I would suspect that Icom does not want to put the engineering into the product to receive HDTV. So, to avoid having to meet that requirement, they disabled the TV function and magically, they are no longer a TV.

See http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-190A1.pdf

Now, the question... With all the magic that the DSP's can do, is there a mode where they can null out AC line noise when operating mobile? That would be a real advance in technology and perhaps alone worth the kilo buck and a half.

73, Mark, N2MH

14. KB2UBH

KB2UBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent review! I have been waiting to hear about this radio since I first seen the add.

I wonder how it will hold up in the extreme cold in upstate NY used as a mobile?

I have never owned an Icom product, but this radio has caught my attention. Soon as the FCC gets around to dropping the code I may have to get one.

15. ND3R

ND3R Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice rig. I am an Icom man all the way. Still use the 735. When I work enough overtime, I will purchase at least a Pro-III. When I get stupid and work every day of the week like I have been, I want a 7800! Don't run mobile yet but would if I had this rig![​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.