ad: M2Ant-1

Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Good review, Fred. Thanks!

2. KZ1X

KZ1X Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review. Very nice pictures!

It helps to remember that Kenwood and Yaesu are tiny divisions of much larger companies. They don't have the flexibility/economics to drive their parent company's development dollars like Icom does.

Icom's amateur division is a much larger component of Icom than the others are of Kenwood/Vertex Standard, and, Icom is not shy about 'leading' with their amateur products group, either. Just look at their US and Japanese websites to see how these company's amateur divisions are positioned relative to their other operations. The other guys relegate their amateur divisions to the back burner.

So, we'll continue to see innovation from Icom, and here in the US, from TenTec and Elecraft. Yaesu will retain some brand loyalty as a contester's 'niche' supplier and they will also have FM rigs based on their Vertex Standard products (including their notoriously bad PL decode and other anomalous behaviors). And as Fred mentions, despite their repeatedly denying it, Kenwood just fades away gracefully from the advanced HF market. Going forward, I think Icom/TenTec/Elecraft will become the "big three" names in ham radio. One Asian wide-product-range supplier, one US domestic low-mid-high end rig supplier, and one kit supplier.

3. K3UD

K3UD Guest

A very good read.

As far as the price is concerned just remember when the first 706 came out. The suggested retail price was about $1,600. The FT-100 was almost in the same ballpark when it came out. Now figure in the inflation over the last 9 years for the 706 and 6 years for the FT-100 and you come out pretty close to that $2,000 real dollar price point.

Also remember that quite recently the 706MKIIG was selling right around $700 for a number of months as was the FT-100D.

It will eventually happen to the IC-7000 also.

Is the 7000 that much more radio than the either a 706 or FT-100D, at twice the price point of what the they were selling for at the lowest published price? Probably not, but I will wait and see what the ARRL lab has to say.

Overall though it looks like it is going to be a major player.

Thanks Fred.

George
    K3UD

4. WD8DPA

WD8DPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred,

Excellent review!  And I must add after four days of playing with my 7K I agree with everything you said.  It's incredible what ICOM has packed in such a small box.

It's sitting on top of my PROIII which hasn't been turned on in four days.  And so far, with the exception of the band scope, it certainly stacks up against it.  The PROIII may not get turned back on until I put the 7K in my vehicle...

I suspect the USB inteface is going to be in ICOM's future.  If you look at their Japanese website, the new PC/R-1500 has a USB port.  So that's probably going to migrate into other radios.

Mark
    WD8DPA

P.S. Where did you find the extension cable?  I can't seem to locate one!
    [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

5. n7vc

n7vc Guest

hi fred, i also tryed out the new ic-7000 for 1-day to compair against my pro-111, there realy isnt much to compair the pro-111 much easer to operate menu freindly, receiveing weak signals the pro is a little better i think, bare in mind no spec anilizer just ears and eys, i use a ft-897 in mobile with sgc tuner easy radio works uper, not buying a 7000 till they improve on what you said on thinks they could have done to finish a complete upgrade, though they put alot in the mike, i think its to high for average ham for useing mobile where the radio takes alot of abuse, you did a wonderful reprt, 73s denny n7vc n7vc@netzero.net

6. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good review Fred. Hate about the TV function though. That was going to be my selling point to the wife so's I could put one in her Mountaineer...

"But Honey, you'll be able to see the finish of the NASCAR races on the way to church..."

Oh well....

7. PF5X

PF5X Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be interested to know how the receiver performs under crowded band conditions (e.g. 40m). The IC-706MKII I currently own, gets overloaded on 40m and I need to switch in the attenuator to at least copy some of the signals. Unlike the PROIII/7800, the IC-7000 does not have the small bandwith roofing filters, but I hope it is still better than the 706. Otherwise you just pay a lot of extra money for bells & whistles which maybe nice, but that do not add any real value (i.e. basic performance improvement).

-- Enno, 9V1CW - PF5X

8. KB7UXE

KB7UXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Fred.
    Here's what you asked for..
    Your right, seems silly that ICOM didn't see tha value in providing this internally.

Dan.

I forgot.
    This will place rig in tune mode, send a cw cxr and lower pwr to 10W.
    resistor may need to be 10 to 20K ohm.
    You could always use a pot.
    Dan.

9. WA2RCB

WA2RCB Ham Member QRZ Page

An excellent review of this new Icom, and I agree that a Bluetooth or similar type wireless adapter to achieve "coily-cordless" type operation would be a nice option for a radio in this family. A cordless microphone and/or control head would be ideal for mobile operation. Let's wait however and see what Kenwood and Yaesu comes out with to compare/compete with this new Icom.

10. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nice looking radio - good review... just don't have the spare pocket change around at this time  [​IMG]

11. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very well stated & thought out review of the radio. Ever thought about reviewing some equipment over on eHam? [​IMG]

Tom kcØw

12. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review Fred - One question, does the 7000 show the CW keyer speed as you set the keyer? Most all radios seem to including the 706 series - EXCEPT for the ICOM 756 Pro series of radios.

Sure is helpful to see what speed the keyer is set at.

73 de Ken H>
    K9FV

13. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

as you use it over the next few months... I want to know how good it operates on air... I am very impessed with my Icom 746Pro and my Icom706MIIG... Just need to know if they kept the proformance and did not sacrafice any...
    I know band conditions dictate... But I want to know how other hearing you think it performs and well as how well and clear you hear others.. My interest is in the HF side..
    Nice review Fred..

73 Jerry n9lya

14. WA5PL

WA5PL Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good right-up Fred. Thanks for taking the time to describe all the main features of the radio. No radio is perfect but it sure looks like ICOM has come a long way and has made some major improvements over the IC-706. This new radio certainly will not take the place of the larger base station radios but it will sure make portable operation a lot of fun. I'm sure ICOM will make improvements to it, just like they did over the orginal IC-706. They seem to listen to the Ham Community much more than some of the other manufacturers. This radio looks like this radio will be a keeper. I hope to get one sometime next year.

Paul
    WA5PL

15. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred you did good..! Will be interesting to see how it holds up and what bugs people find...!

Just goes to show ... even us olde guys have fun..!

I'll wait a couple months and order one ..!

Bill, W0LPQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.