ad: CQMM-1

Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N6BOA

N6BOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Roses are red,
    violets, I guess, are blue...
    girls don't need diamonds,
    they need the IC-7000!

John, here's my Christmas wish list!

2. N6BOA

Ok, anybody, here's my Christmas wish list AND a Yagii!!!

3. KA0SAB

KA0SAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 706 mrk2g with over 500,000 miles in the mobile and it's been great!
    As for the price, people pay more then that for a laptop, I did!
    I ordered a 7000 and I am thrilled with it.
    No I don't need TV in mine ,
    The old saying here is give people a new rope and they would
    still complain.
    Well I am going to say the filter system in this rig is great, and in the moblie it is easy to use , when you get used to it.
    I started out with a 751 as a mobile rig and have run all the brands, and so far icom has been the best.
    The 7000 looks like it's going to be even better. [​IMG]

4. KK6FR

KK6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

To the sensitive guy about the Kenwood 2000, I could not own one just on looks alone. looks like a melted kids toy.

5. N6BOA

Ed, how about you??? I promise to increase my speed, promise!!!

6. KB7RKY

KB7RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice...

Now, be on the lookout for the inevitable flood of 706's that will undoubtely fill eBay and hamfests around the country

Doug, KB7RKY

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Nice comments Paul. I would add that the new power connector is the same one Kenwood used on the TS-480. I hated it at first (because it was different) but I can see that it's a better engineered plug. -fred

8. WN7T

WN7T Guest

Thank you for posting my Icom 7000 comments, Fred.

Also, thanks for sorting out my log in error!

Paul WN7T

9. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

You sure raised the intelligence level with that remark

10. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

GREAT review, Fred. Thanks a lot. 73 Jim

11. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had my IC 7000 for a few days and in my opinion it is an excellent transceiver and well worth the money. Outstandingly quiet receiver. Transmit audio reports with DSP on "mid" setting get excellent reports using Heil HC 4 element mic. Still waiting for separation cable. Screen can be viewed from severe angle and does not wash out in bright light. Ultimately I will have two--one in the shack and one mobile. If it keeps performing as it has this first week I think it will be in my shack for years.

12. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for a great review, Fred.

I do however have some issues with the comments about Kenwood and Yaesu.  Certainly you aren't comparing the 7000 to a Mark-V are you?  The comparison would be between the 756ProIII and the Mark V.

I am not sure how much time you have spent with the Mark-V, but I have had one for a few years, and I have yet to add a filter, as you can really deal with QRM in stock form. The setup isn't straight forward, but after spending some time with the rig, you can really work the QRM.

Before discounting the Mark-V as some kind of old technology that doesn't compete, consider this.

MARK V                            756 ProIII

$2150                               $3000
    Included Power supply         Optional Power Supply
    200 W Output                    100 W Output
    True Dual Receive               Dual Watch (same band)
    Just Displays Freqs.            Cool Display

I prefer the Mark-V, and have owned both.  The filtering on the 756 is superior from a test equipment standpoint, but for my use on the bands, it's a wash.

I find the Mark-V NR and NB to be superior to the 756.

In the end, they both do the job, and there are many that love the 756, and prefer it to a Mark-V.

I replaced my TS-950SDX with the Mark-V, and still prefer the ergonomics of the 950, but the MARK-V has a bit better receiver, and far better DSP.

As a pure CW rig, I think the original FT-1000D or the IC-765 with the right filters are better then any newer rigs.  Wish I had both.

My point, is that giant displays and 32bit DSP are fine, and are useful, but there is more to a rig, then just flash and high tech features.

I think Yaesu competes in the market just fine with their Mark-V and Mark-V Field.  I am sure that after Yaesu runs out of folks willing to pay $11,500(not me) for a rig, they will replace the Mark-V.  They are most likely designing right now.

I have seen a lot of marketing going on, but there are a lot of Kenwood 950's, Icom IC-765's, Yaesu FT-1000's, and other fine rigs out there in use, and they work very well, and in real use, as good as they need to perform.

That said, the 7000 is a cool rig, and a step forward, yet for $1500, my FT-100D and Atas work well enough for me in the Mobile.

Again, great review, but keep in mind, that some of us have older rigs, not because we are cheap, but because we actualy like them.

73 - W6NJ

13. KA0SAB

KA0SAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to ask has anyone checked too see if the 706 cable will work to serarate??

14. KE5BGE

KE5BGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great review. Nice new toy.

15. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

706 cable will not work. The cables for the 7000 are in stock and shipping but the actual remote mount hardware is not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.