ad: elecraft

Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KK6FR

KK6FR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

$1500 bucks is cheep. heck my credit card limit is 5 times that. My wife would not complain about that amount. If ya wanna play ball, ya gotta step up to the plate.

2. N5EAT

N5EAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my 7000 a few days now, and frankly - yes - it's worth the money. I can see this rig selling for 999.99 in
    a few years. If they sell well, they will probaby have several improvement incarnations as with the 706. I still have my original 706 - never needed to upgrade.

This radio is full of very usefull features, not useless bells and whistles as someone remarked. Don't knock it until you've tried it. If you added on all the stuff this radio has standard to any other rig, you'd probably spend
    a thousand dollars.

3. WU5E

WU5E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well a good over-view of the radio and I agree about the
    using USB 2.0 it would great to do that.It would make all the companies upgrade there stocks. I don't agree with this [Kenwood is left the farthest back in the dust with no top end radio and
    only a mediocre midrange rig (the TS-2000)] because of no color screen, or what do you base this statment off of?

You have a great website I hope your not bashing kenwood for just hell of it.

and if IC-7000 can do more than my TS-480HX I might switch and put one in my truck.

Jim
    W5SSG
    [​IMG]

4. KB9YGD

KB9YGD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred tnx fer the post and picts on this radio.Well the rf on the seperation cable can be solved easly with 2 clampon ferrites.Wow $80 fer 50 cents of wire!I would buy this radio if it had an internal wide range auto tuner.73 all Norm.My Webpage

5. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a good review of the features on the IC-7000. But, what I need to know is how the thing performs. I haven't seen any real performance reviews or comparisons yet. What did Icom compromise to fit all of that into such a small box?

I'm ready buy a new rig now, and my choice has been between the TS-2000 and IC-746Pro. The IC-7000 is now available, and I can see that its feature set exceeds both of the other two radios for about the same price.

My current interest is casual HF use from my home QTH, mostly on the digital modes. I'm not opposed to having VHF/UHF in the same radio, as my interests change from time to time. And the small form factor of the IC-7000 makes it good for mobile, should I ever want to do that.

Previously, I excluded the IC-706MkIIG from my list because, according to reviews, it has trouble with nearby strong signals when used with a base station antenna. Also, adding the TCXO and filters brings the price up almost to the IC-746Pro/TS-2000 range.

If IC-7000 recieve performance is in line with the TS-2000 or IC-746Pro, it will be added to my "short list". Decisions, decisions....

Just called my local dealer, he has IC-7000s in stock, but none set up to demo. They're selling too fast.

I downloaded the manual from Icom, and if I understand correctly, you can run both the auto and manual notch filters together. Auto notch can take out 3 signals, and the manual can take out 2 more. And both are in the AGC loop. Impressive!

-73, Ron

6. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

I never called them useless. To me however many of them are unnecessary. When it comes to the difference between many rigs, the differences in function and price are bells and whistles. There aren't too many rigs out there that are junk. Yes a few but not most.

My point was that I wouldn't spend that money just for the sake of the bells and whistles. I don't need them. My TS480 is a fine rig and the features the 7000 has don't make it worth that expenditure, not to me anyway.

My HQ120 comment was in reference to a receiver I had and adored nearly 30 years ago. It was vintage 1938 and yes, modern rigs DO run rings around such rigs now. But I operated even then without the bells and whistles and could do so again without spending a grand and a half.

Again, the IC7000 sounds like a very sweet rig.

7. W5AOX

W5AOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, I appreciate the early bird review as well.
    I'm curious about the "Kenwood is behind the times" comment...
    So far as I know, Kenwood is the only mfr currently making rigs (at least 2) that display (AND decode and transmit) packet/APRS data on the front display.  They have been the sole contenders in this category for a few years now.  I blew $400+ at Dayton this year for a TMD700 for that one reason only.
    Don't get me wrong, I currently own Two 706MKIIg's.....
    Like you, I wonder why, on a high-dollar multifunction rig, relatively small things are left out, such as DTMF, APRS, RTTY transmit, PSK and other  digital mode on-screen decoding and transmit, etc, etc.... none of which requires a lot of extra engineering.
    If all the other stuff like filters etc are "included" then why leave out DTMF?  This, of course, is seldom used for autopatches any more (new hams may ask "What's That?") but for remote base controlling, Echolink, IRLP, and other multifunction linking systems requiring DTMF commands, it's a must-have.
    Jim W5AOX

8. Guest

Guest Guest

To echo others' questions: How does the receiver actually perform? Does it have a good front end on it (the MKIIG doesn't). Can it stand up under crowded band conditions, or does the receiver just fall apart with IMD product?

9. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

i think Fred has never owned a TS2000 or he wouldn't make that remark about Kenwood. I have 1 and wouldn't trade it for any new rig that hasn't even got the bugs worked out yet.

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

That's true about the TS-2000, I haven't owned one. That doesn't mean I think they're bad as I'm just pointing out that they're not as popular as Kenwood would like them to be. I'm sure they're fun and have many fine points.

Also, everyone please take note that I've added a couple of paragraphs to the end of the main article. Check it out.

-fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.