ad: CQMM-1

Product Review - The ICOM IC-7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WL7JJ

WL7JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice review!

If anyone wants to buy me a Christmas Present this will surely due.

2. W7FDF

W7FDF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was told by Ken AH6LE after he took delivery of his IC-7000 that two interesting problems exist in this new radio. There is no DTMF function in the microphone and secondly, while transmitting if you accidentally depress one of the band change buttons. It will actually change while you are transmitting. Not good!!

So I would be very concerned about the latter problem. I plan to purchase this new rig but like many, I will watch and read the feedback to see if there are any other "quirks" desgned into this radio.

Doug W7FDF
    Vail, Arizona

3. KB7DA

KB7DA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I am turned off from buying this rig at this current time. I will wait till next year (november or december) before purchacing mine. I was hoping that the spectrum scope would be live like the 756 pro series. I may just save up and buy a 756 pro III instead since there is NO UHF in this area, and i have a 746 Pro that can handle 2m. Sure I wont have mobile capability but at least I will have a radio with a live spectrum scope that will allow me to see activity while being able to hear what is going on. If and when I do buy this rig, it will be put in the mobile. Thanks Fred for the early review.

AD7BK

4. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Yes, it sure seems like a sweet rig, but one must wait out the bugs and defects that seem common to new rigs these days just like to new automobiles.

And truthfully, as sweet as it is, it's mostly bells and whistles. It's not enough - for me anyway - to consider replacing my very dearly beloved TS480. I already sprang for the 500Hz filter, so it is just fine as it is.

My HQ120 didn't have a "bandscope" either and I did just fine with it too.

5. KC0NJA

KC0NJA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'LL stick with the 857-D set the memories and down the road you go. Great mobile radio, no need to be a cell phone expert doing 6 things at once while driving. Watching fancy screen displays will only get you a fender bender.....

6. K8ZY

K8ZY Guest

Oh no, not another "swiss army" radio! everything built in but toenail clippers. And the microphone looks like a computer keyboard to add insult to injury. I left two meters for that reason, I have several I gave up on because I got lost in the fifteenth sub-menu. And when I eventually did make one channel work I hit the wrong button in the dark and it all dissappeared. I still have my Icom 706 and it works fine, but it will be a cold day before I get one of these hal-2000 ("I can't let you do that, Dave") controlled monsters.

7. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

W0LPQ's comment about bugs is a good one, how easy will it be to patch and or upgrade this radio's firmware? I would suspect that there are software solutions to the mentioned problems like accidental band switching etc. Great review, kinda was in the market for something a little more compact than the ole TS 830, Santa might have to lug this little brick down my chimminey in a few weeks.

73's
    m.

8. KK6FR

KK6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all, a very well done post fred. ( the pics are a nice touch.) after some things I have heard about Yaesu recently (not good) I'm going ICOM all the way. The IC-7000 is on my christmas list. I think ICOM is light-years ahead of the rest.

73 Frank.

9. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

ahoy maties

tiny rigs with tiny knobs es little button switches
    that cost over 1,000 dollars

bells es whistles menu driven radio
    full of smoke and mirrors

just do not seem like real radios

I do not want or need the bells and whistles

still rather run hb mopa job es old tube receiver

yes
    am still living in the past, enjoy it fb om

Mac dit dit

10. KB7UXE

KB7UXE Ham Member QRZ Page

But does it make coffee?

For $1500 bucks, I hope it at least makes coffee!!....

11. KK6FR

KK6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

$1500 bucks is cheep. heck my credit card limit is 5 times that. My wife would not complain about that amount. If ya wanna play ball, ya gotta step up to the plate.

12. N5EAT

N5EAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my 7000 a few days now, and frankly - yes - it's worth the money. I can see this rig selling for 999.99 in
    a few years. If they sell well, they will probaby have several improvement incarnations as with the 706. I still have my original 706 - never needed to upgrade.

This radio is full of very usefull features, not useless bells and whistles as someone remarked. Don't knock it until you've tried it. If you added on all the stuff this radio has standard to any other rig, you'd probably spend
    a thousand dollars.

13. WU5E

WU5E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well a good over-view of the radio and I agree about the
    using USB 2.0 it would great to do that.It would make all the companies upgrade there stocks. I don't agree with this [Kenwood is left the farthest back in the dust with no top end radio and
    only a mediocre midrange rig (the TS-2000)] because of no color screen, or what do you base this statment off of?

You have a great website I hope your not bashing kenwood for just hell of it.

and if IC-7000 can do more than my TS-480HX I might switch and put one in my truck.

Jim
    W5SSG
    [​IMG]

14. KB9YGD

KB9YGD QRZ Lifetime Member #114 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred tnx fer the post and picts on this radio.Well the rf on the seperation cable can be solved easly with 2 clampon ferrites.Wow $80 fer 50 cents of wire!I would buy this radio if it had an internal wide range auto tuner.73 all Norm.My Webpage

15. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a good review of the features on the IC-7000. But, what I need to know is how the thing performs. I haven't seen any real performance reviews or comparisons yet. What did Icom compromise to fit all of that into such a small box?

I'm ready buy a new rig now, and my choice has been between the TS-2000 and IC-746Pro. The IC-7000 is now available, and I can see that its feature set exceeds both of the other two radios for about the same price.

My current interest is casual HF use from my home QTH, mostly on the digital modes. I'm not opposed to having VHF/UHF in the same radio, as my interests change from time to time. And the small form factor of the IC-7000 makes it good for mobile, should I ever want to do that.

Previously, I excluded the IC-706MkIIG from my list because, according to reviews, it has trouble with nearby strong signals when used with a base station antenna. Also, adding the TCXO and filters brings the price up almost to the IC-746Pro/TS-2000 range.

If IC-7000 recieve performance is in line with the TS-2000 or IC-746Pro, it will be added to my "short list". Decisions, decisions....

Just called my local dealer, he has IC-7000s in stock, but none set up to demo. They're selling too fast.

I downloaded the manual from Icom, and if I understand correctly, you can run both the auto and manual notch filters together. Auto notch can take out 3 signals, and the manual can take out 2 more. And both are in the AGC loop. Impressive!

-73, Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.