ad: Alphaant-1

Newest CW Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Dec 15, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple, really - Heathkit and the step-by-step, well-illustrated manuals. That and doing some study on radio-electronics.

KE0GXN likes this.
  2. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting video, but watching him hit that dit paddle multiple times to get multiple dits just didn't compute :)

N1RBD likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP has quite a few decades of soldering ahead of him before he'll be teaching me anything new.

N8TGQ, AE0Q, K9TDW and 3 others like this.
  4. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy - the QCX is CW only. The market for the training tools is chock full of people who want to be CW Ops but are unwilling to get on the air. They still cling to that mic and are loathe to purchase a rig that lacks a mic jack.

It's actually very sad. I know someone who has been learning CW for years but has yet to secure his first QSO. I taught two CW Ops beginner classes and none of my students are using their skills on the air. I am not pursuing CW Ops at this time, as it seems to be a breeding ground for 25+ WPM keyboard ops that focus almost entirely on contesting. I'll take a ten-minute QSO with a 15 WPM straight-key guy with a shaky fist any day of the week.

Tank, if you're reading this: Ping me. I will privately tutor you at no cost. Join the "haves" and experience the heart of Ham Radio.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't feed the ego. His name is Frank.

AE0Q and N1RBD like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Learn to take things at face value and enjoy the positive efforts of others.

Sometimes you can WATCH and don't always have to DO.

KC8VWM and K7TXR like this.
  7. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but that would actually require reading books and studying stuff….

That would be asking for too much these days.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    W7USD likes this.
  8. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here! W2NSD/1 Cassette tape, pencil and paper. Wayne Green's first nine characters: EISH TMO AN..... "Doesn't the "L" have a nice ring to it?" Good stuff. 73,Eric

KL7KN likes this.
  9. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work Frank.. You might get some use out of this handy, inexpensive gadget- an adjustable circuit board holder>> ScreenHunter 62.jpg

10. AB0TX

AB0TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you going to build an HF antenna now and forget you didn't have an HF radio? What a joke. We all wanted to see the thing work. We know what it looks like to build.

11. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here are the thoughts of Hans Summers of QRP Labs:

One thing I do believe though is that as soon as you can send and receive all the characters, however slowly.... then it is worth getting on air and making some real QSOs. Have confidence... everyone was a beginner once! The best way, in my opinion, to build up speed and confidence is to actually USE it. Try NOT to rely on a CW decoder such as the built-in CW decoder on the QCX kit. They are never as good as the human ear. They don't succeed so well when there is interference, fading, or variations in timing that you hear so often on air.

CW is supposed to be a gentlemanly activity. If you send a call (CQ), at a certain speed, people should answer you at the same speed. Or, if you answer someone else's CQ, they should answer you at the same speed you use. This is gentlemanly behaviour. People should be patient and gentle with newcomers. I have met many real gentlemen on air and they have graciously slowed down to match my speed (which is still below average!).

On the other hand - there are many, MANY non-gentlemen; those who won't slow down; who have forgotten the days when they were beginners; who are always in a hurry, or just collecting points; even if they are not rare DX, not a special event station, and not in a contest. Well, just don't worry about this. You can't change them, don't try. Just don't get upset or deterred, just continue regardless. Ignore morons.

GM4JPZ, KC7JNJ, KD4ZFS and 2 others like this.
  12. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Morserino is a much more capable learning tool, and can be used for Internet QSOs as well as a keyer for older radios without one built in. $9 more than this one.

K5BDH likes this.
  13. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Video!

14. YB2BAM

YB2BAM Ham Member QRZ Page

wat is the vost broo to Indonesia

15. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly appreciate those who have CW skills and admire them for it, however i just don’t care for it, W6FRD