ad: M2Ant-1

Newest CW Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Dec 15, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I build the newest Morse Code practices Kit, Morse Monkey. The Morse Monkey is a kit that you can build, which helps with soldering and kit-building skills. When built, its a a device that helps you practice Morse Code. I found it a fun and Great build.

Frank L.

KC3VDG, TA4ERK, WD4ET and 25 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool!

KG5AHJ likes this.
  3. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you enjoyable it. it was a fun build

KC3VDG likes this.
  4. 2E0ETU

2E0ETU Ham Member QRZ Page

what is the cost please i am in uk

KC3VDG likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

K9EZ, W3SWM, KK5R and 1 other person like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would note that a much cheaper kit ($57.79 vs $90) (the QCX mini), which provides:
    -- CW Decoder A CW decoder operates in the chip. This can be useful on air, particularly for newcomers to CW, though it is never anywhere near as good in QRM or weak signal conditions as a good CW operator using the wet-ware between his ears. The decoder has a “Practice” mode too, for you to practice your CW sending without actually generating RF. The decoder can also be used to conveniently enter text in the message storage, or for configuration of any of the other menu items. The decoder can also be switched off if desired.

Along with a full featured single-band transceiver.

NJ1P, KB7FHK, AE0Q and 6 others like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I have a QCX mini and it's a wonderful "tiny radio" - works amazingly well in fact.

Going to be taking it on a trip next week to use with my MFJ-1979 whip antenna (along with my IC-705)

Dave
    W7UUU

KL7KN likes this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Any chance you will post a video of the rig in action?

I had looked at the QCX mini, very closely and went with the 3 band SW3B instead. Not quite as advanced, but it is 3 band...so.

9. W7UUU

Sure - the QCX (Mini and original "+" version - same radio, different box) is a very solid radio - not a fan of the encoder dial so much but outside of that it works very well. And yes, I will try to do a video of it in operation

Dave
    W7UUU

KB9GHN and KL7KN like this.
  10. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KL7KN likes this.
  11. W0MN

W0MN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

90 bucks seems a lot for that. If the main purpose is to learn CW there are free programs that are a better job. Even better, GOOGLE, CW Academy. If learning kit building, perhaps it is reasonable.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  12. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to practice my sending by using the CW sidetone on my rig without transmitting.

NJ1P, KB7FHK, N6SPP and 2 others like this.
  13. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a POTA activation using a QCX Mini 20M and a QCX Plus 40M. Sorry, the mini's display did not make the camera frame. I'm sure I'll do it again soon, and when I do, I will be sure to get the camera right on the radio itself. What you will see is the fact that I made lots of great contacts with both rigs.

KD4ZFS and KL7KN like this.
  14. K9NUD

Nice build. But (there's always a but on QRZ, hi), I struggle with the endless stream of CW learning gadgets. I know lots of people with the gadgets, and strikingly few of them ever get on the air. But getting on the air with CW is far better practice than anything else, since you are decoding and encoding real-time with a variety of fists and varying band conditions. The off-air practice is nowhere near as good as the real thing, IMHO. Plus, you never get the thrill of completing successful QSOs. I have taught beginner CW Ops classes and the guys with gadgets are still not using CW on the air a year after they passed my class. It's kind of sad, really.

KC7JNJ, KB7FHK, KC8VWM and 5 others like this.
  15. K9NUD

Incidentally, this video is less than two years into my CW journey. I learned it back in the 90's but never got proficient. Fast-forward to December 2020, when I decided to re-learn it. I took a CW Ops class (intermediate) and used Morsecode.ninja quite a bit. Two years in and, as you can see in the video, I handle 16-20 WPM head copy just fine. I did not use gadgets to get proficient, I got there by using Morse code on the air. Thousands of SKCC and POTA contacts, plus plenty of regular QSOs and more than a few rag chews. That's how people learned Morse code in the past, and I think it's still the best way.

NJ1P, AI4TB, KD4ZFS and 4 others like this.