ad: portazero-1

Newest CW Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Dec 15, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

$90.00 for a code practice oscillator??
    Don't think so!!
    Ken

AE0Q, W6MQI, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Any chance you can post a video of the rig in 'practice mode' which was the origin of the OP.

KG5AHJ and K9NUD like this.
  3. KL7KN

I used the old 73 magazines code tapes. What ever works to get the basics, then get on the air - there are a ton of Slow Speed nets where bad/errored code is more tolerated.
    Machines work to decode machine generated code over a noise free path and strong signal strength - most of the time.

(shrug) I really think this is one of those "You get it or you don't" activities in life. Like curling, only with radios... :rolleyes:

WN1MB and K9NUD like this.
  4. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Frank, I always pictured you as a welder, not a solderer but good job on getting it working! It always pays to RTFM with these kits. You should try a QRP-Labs QDX or QCX Mini... They are 10lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag and you really need to RTFM...! :)

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

If this featured 20 minutes of silliness isn't enough to satiate your YouTube addiction, here's another video for you:

It's just shy of an hour in length.

Of particular note:

In demonstrating the unit's "dictate" mode, the developer stated "I don't even know what an 'F' is..." (in Morse code).

Developer refers to "long" and "short" instead of the more familiar "dit" and
    "dah" or "dot" and "dash." He also mentioned he leaves his unit set at 5 WPM
    "...because I don't really know Morse code that much."

So what we have here is the developer (Frank's step-father), Frank, and Jason - none of whom can be honestly described as accomplished Morse code operators - hawking a device to "learn" Morse code.

An interesting stew.

Dit-dit, or should I say, "short-short"

Welcome to 2022.

N1RBD, W7USD, W6MQI and 4 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP video is about the BUILD-- and that's what I enjoyed watching.

To wit:

"I build the newest Morse Code practices Kit..."

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The contrast in complexity between this 2022 "BUILD" and novices in the '60s building their kits is striking. How on Earth did we ever manage without YouTube?

W7USD, W6MQI, KL7KN and 3 others like this.
  8. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Have either of you happened to notice this kit is not a radio? It is for learning CW only, and code practice. You can not compare it to th QCX mini, which is a radio. Do you actually respond without even viewing the clip or reading about the kit?

KL7KN likes this.
  9. ON7DQ

ON7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with rule number one : get on the air ! ... it's the best learning tool.
    In my case, joining SKCC also has helped me a lot.

As for this kit, indeed a bit expensive, it may be fun building it, but there are cheaper methods.
    Check out the OST Morse Box (links below), we designed it for our club members that learn CW but have some stage fright to get on HF.
    It's basically a circuit that lets you transmit tone CW on 2m or 70cm, while retaining normal voice operation (automatic switchover). But it contains much more, like a built in touch paddle with iambic A and B modes, random generator, beacon keye, etc ... see the readme file on github.
    Boards can be ordered from China for a low price, a fully populated project PCB will cost less than 25$ (maybe depending on what you have in your junk box :)
    There is a basic version:
    https://github.com/on7dq/OST-Morse-Box
    and an expanded version adding a CW decoder and basic tone generator (pure sine wave)
    https://github.com/on7dq/OST-Morse-Box-DG
    I have also a few videos on my YouTube channel, introduction is here:

Luc oN7DQ/KF0CR

K9NUD likes this.
  10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And you’re surprised?

It’s just another typical and par for the course uninformed ham You Tuber 1 hour shill informercial. SMH..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    N1RBD, W7USD and WN1MB like this.
  11. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Will do. The QCX is a bit unique in that it displays received and sent code, so you get a pretty good indication of your fist and spacing.

KL7KN likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

'Novices' from 60+ years ago were, for the most part, building 'point to point' kits or their own versions, with wires routing from one island-universe of a tube to the next, with capacitors , inductors, and resistors floating in space between pin contacts and strips.

The OP shows a well done, relaxed, PCB build without too much heat and nicely shiny results. You can learn a lot about soldering by watching.

13. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This might answer your Question
    Live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL8NkCBJROk
    Menu Instructions:

14. KL7KN

Did you read my full post?

Why buy a 'cw trainer' for $90, when you can get a full up radio - one with cw practice mode - for ~$56? It makes no sense to me, and perhaps, many others.
    YMMV/

AE0Q, N1RBD, W7USD and 2 others like this.
  15. KL7KN

'
    A vertically integrated, 'all in the family' pimp-o-matic UTOOB machine? I had no idea of the family relationships.

I wish YTOOB would require posters of video content reveal their association with the product/vendor in the video. It is even worse for folks pushing long term storage foods and supplies.

N1RBD, KE0GXN and WN1MB like this.