New Yaesu FTdx101D HF Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB8DT

AB8DT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KG5THG likes this.
  2. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The actual reason manufacturers use DVI connectors is two fold- they are more robust- I repaired an HDMI port after and intermittent issue, and believe me it is tough, consumer grade junk.
    DVI not only is more robust and lockable-- the wires are heavier and better shielded. Broadcast test equipment like rasterizers and quality control monitors use DVI ports. HDMI connectors on your radio will fail eventually.

Peace

Earl
    AB9TX

. EarlMeter.gif

PJ2SM, UT7UX, AG7LR and 5 others like this.
  3. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No C4FM?

4. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AB9TX is correct, HDMI ports fail with even moderate use. DVI can be locked in place. I prefer DVI

PJ2SM and K8XG like this.
  5. VK4VAB

VK4VAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe royalties would be the problem, if you can get HDMI Ports on a $6 Raspberry Pi then they can cost that much, specially when compared to the overall cost of what this unit will is.

I would have though it was more a lack of foresight.

AG7JQ likes this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

The HDMI port on my high end Gaming Lap Top [not used for games fyi] is already intermittent and I bought it back in OCT. I guess plugging it in once a day to the 65" Monitor on the Wall for high end work just doesn't hold up on them. I remember my older Thinkpad's HDMI port going totally bad as that was the only streaming device I had for my HD TV back in those days. DVI is more robust, use and adapter that can be replaced for $10 when its port goes bad.

7. WD9IDV

WD9IDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow!!! In this day and age I'm surprised that the Yaesu does not have the Ethernet port for remote set up.
    It's also a shame that Yaesu put on the older display port (DVI-D Dual-Link or DVI-D Single-Link) . No HDMI output......unthinkable! Yaesu put the USB type B connector on, really???

The Kenwood display output (DVI-I Dual-Link orDVI-I Single-Link) is better but no HDMI? To bad!
    At least Kenwood put USB Type A and B on their radio. But how come no USB 3.0?
    Thankfully, Kenwood had the sense to put a LAN jack (Ethernet) on their radio. Lets hope its implemented well.

Other than that, I want them both!

8. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad a guy l;ike me cant afford this new stuff. I had to beg borrow and steal to make my shack thanks to selling my motorcycle and pay pal credit pay it off in time no interest, Slowly it came together. All this new stuff they make its for them for the deep pocket hams, guys like me don't stand a chance. ridiculous prices but a gorgeous radio. 6 grand start for the new kpa 1500 way blown out prices , gorgeous equipment no doubt but not for me or guys like me

KD6SBR likes this.
  9. KD4VJP

KD4VJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Targeting Baby Boomers, with way too much money in the bank? Shame on you Japanese capitalists! :) Who won anyway?

#stickingwithmy7300fornow

10. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it powers up and transmits your golden. Who needs gorgeous?? :)