ad: Sussex-1

New QRZ Home Page

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice touch !! ...List (Beta)

Steve / W5BIB

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot better option and it would even be better to eliminate the pictures to the left of the titles. :)

But...a lot, lot, better...thanks!!

4. K4ECD

K4ECD Ham Member QRZ Page

LIST FORMAT is a brilliant recovery from the GRID VIEW from hell.....

Thank you!

Seriously better and STRAIGHT FORWARD.

pssst: change your SQL query from LIMIT 40 to LIMIT 20
    SO many boxes is overkill visually. (in Grid View)

Why 40+ Grid boxes???

Anyhow, moaning aside, the list view is 100% better than the Grid Mess

5. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our lack of written responses over the past few weeks were due to our efforts to find a solution that would incorporate the comments that we heard, and still give the page the refreshed look that we were hoping for. Stephen, VA7STV has implemented an option to view the homepage in a List View or a Grid View. The list view is in beta at the moment, but is available for use. We hope that this will enhance the user experience and reassure you that we do value your patronage and your viewpoints. I want to thank each and every one of you for your use and support of QRZ.com and wish you a very happy holiday season.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    W0PV, KD5BVX and WJ4U like this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Though it's purty, it's still very wasteful of space. It's not as bad as it was but, not as good as the original. I'll continue to not use that page, and hope that consideration is given to the comments in this thread (link).
    You're welcome, and I wish you a very happy Christmas season.

Thanks for your comments...
    ...and have a nice day. :)

7. K4ECD

K4ECD Ham Member QRZ Page

My post on page 43 has essentially become the new "beta"... see Items 2 (text in photos) and 3 (uniform structure)... then look at "List beta"

My last recommendation:

Dear FRED and CEO and QRZ Wizards, select a (larger?) pool of volunteer hams to be BETA reviewers of new projects WELL before they go to your hundreds of 1000s of viewers.

I have no doubt that you do this to a small pool currently (you guys been in the game long), but clearly the "yes men" out weigh the unbiased - unfiltered honesty you need for a community based online entity such as yours.

By virtue of a second layout within a couple weeks (public beta) is in fact a public acknowledgement that a. you DO listen, but b. you got it wrong. 63 pages of #!@%@ can't be ignored (my crap included!!!).

What a stressful period it must have been for VA7STV... wish I could send him a cold one.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I concur, the beta is so much better. A big thank you!

de NK2U

WB9VPG likes this.
  9. VE3BXP

VE3BXP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thumbs up for providing the option. I do like the List layout much better. Bill - VE3BXP

NK2U likes this.
  10. K4RTS

K4RTS Ham Member QRZ Page

The list view is a definite improvement ...though still wasteful of space.
    I have no idea how long the new option has been available.
    I had quit visiting QRZ as the look was beyond my tolerance level.
    Could you also make the swapmeet the same way.
    Also, it does not resize very well with my browser and display settings.
    I still use a monitor and computer.
    Will there be a url that goes to the list view or will it need to be selected
    each time ?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  11. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, one step forward and two steps back. On this DSL connection my computer CPU is maxing out trying to load the new video junk and has slowed down opening up threads to a snails pace. Oh well, now I just close out the QRZ page and when I have some extra time I check back.

12. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO, list view is an improvement over the recent changes to the home page. Thanks, too, for the free QRZ sticker!

John K7FD

NK2U likes this.
  13. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting tidbit. As a ham member the home page looks better.
    When I was a subscriber it was pretty bad. Odd how that works.

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The List View option is a HUGE improvement. Thanks.

Fred mentioned in an early post on this thread that a "more curated editorial format" of the front page content will also occur. When will this begin?

It seems to me that "Amateur Radio News" content has become overwhelmed by waaaay too many video podcasts and VLOGS. Perhaps consideration could be given to assigning those a different forum in the QRZ Newsroom.

No matter what Ghostbuster Egon Spengler (RIP) said, "Print is (NOT) dead!

73 de John - WØPV

NK2U likes this.
  15. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

One more vote for the list view. It is so much easier on the eyes.

But I do have a question on the swapmeet on the front page. Why is it that items that appeared several days ago re-appear after they have gone off the front page? I don't think they are a re-list either.

NK2U likes this.