ad: Flexradio-1

New QRZ Home Page

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Little hams smoking wacky backy
    Someone changed their words,
    Now the hams play hacky sacky
    With their little hammie terds.
    Some are crying change it back
    The little boxes of ticky tacky
    While they sip their sudzy pack
    And smoke their hammie wacky backy

(Apologies to Halitosis)

Fred, it looks great. Folks will get used to it eventually.

2. K1SCE

K1SCE Ham Member QRZ Page

wish I did.

3. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You had me at Helvetica ;) For the rest: accessibility nightmare. Does anybody care about people with disabilities?

Just ran the front page through a WCAG checker. Over 1000 issues found.

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    W7UUU, N7ZAL and K6CLS like this.
  4. KJ6WKH

KJ6WKH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please go back to the old layout. Tiles aren't easy to navigate and I can't see as many headlines as before.

NK2U likes this.
  5. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

BINGO!

Time will pass, and and all this complaining and childish temper tantrums --from a bunch of little kids that never grew up-- will eventually be a distant memory. If the main page would have been what it is now, and then changed back to the way it was before, the complaining wouldn't be any different, would it?. The conditions that Fred discussed at http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/disappointed.532408/ have gotten far worse. People need to complain about change, it seems. Maybe sulking and frowning with a few temper tantrums thrown is someone's idea of a good day. ;-)

People forget that this is Fred Lloyd's website and NOT YOURS. Fred can do anything that he darn well pleases, and we ought to be very grateful for what he's done. He changes one page, and people complain loudly en mass. I can't speak for Fred; but if this were my site, I would either:
    • Just pull the plug. "Server Not Found". Time for a lounge chair on a beach, with a glass of ice tea or beer.
    • Or make everyone pay for everything here, including posting privileges.
    For the foreseeable future, I'm logging out of these QRZ forums. I'm fed up with the pi**ing and moaning temper tantrums "Waah! I want it MY WAY!!" .

I used to enjoy these forums. It was relaxing to help answer newbies' technical questions. But I've simply had it way up past my ears lately with the ever-increasing personal attacks, bickering, whining, arguing, complaining, etc. It seems like a lot more fun to spend time on other sites, where the participants are more mature and grown up.

Thank you, Fred. I am grateful for qrz.com and all your hard work and patience. I hope to be back.

Hasta la bye-bye. :)

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Mon back!

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

You might just consider a sedative/tranquilizer since apparently you have not been getting things YOUR WAY. Most of us can go with the flow without becoming candidates for a rubber room by simply choosing our viewing matter more wisely.
    http://www.news-medical.net/health/List-of-Sedatives.aspx

W7UUU likes this.
  8. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreed. After more than a week, I still get a headache looking at the home page. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

de NK2U

9. W8OTR

W8OTR Ham Member QRZ Page

I set my QRZ shortcut to my page problem solved

NK2U likes this.
  10. KL7YK

KL7YK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well since QRZ has not listened to our wishes and we are subscribers after all, its time to move on. When my paid subscription expires I will find another site to do call sign lookups on. The new main page is simply awful. I refuse to continue paying for a design that does not work. If you paid someone to design a web page that you hated would you pay for it? I think not.

NE8S and NK2U like this.
  11. AC2NZ

AC2NZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One would think that the paying subscribers might have some clout with the management, but it's obvious that they don't need your money. I checked in *one day* without my ad blocker and was astounded by the number of ads all over the place! Add my vote for Ad Block Plus...

Apparently they felt the need to "update" the home page to please the advertisers. Even though the actual users hate the change.

NE8S, K1SCE and NK2U like this.
  12. KC3EDP

KC3EDP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Stephen, VA7STV

13. K9ZW

K9ZW QRZ Lifetime Member #262 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Could we please have an option to render the home page in the previous format?

This new tiled style doesn't meet my needs.

Reading disconnected chats of information is hodgepodged tiles is not much fun - actually I'm finding I am not checking what's new at QRZ anywhere near as often.

This response, which if my experience is typical results in some users looking once a day instead of several times, leaves QRZ with less sellable clicks for advertising revenue.

I also would not likely have spent to become a Platinum Member for a website with a hodgepodge approach.

Would very much appreciate the option to revert.

Thank you and 73

Steve
    K9ZW

NK2U likes this.
  14. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. I've always had my QRZ.com bookmark set to the Forums main page. I barely even knew there was a Home page until this fiasco came up, so of course I've gone there to check it out. I'm like one of those people who slow down to gawk at highway accidents. Otherwise a QRZ Home Page has never been of any use to me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is that it's intended to be hodge-podged and difficult to read. It makes some people stay on the page longer. The longer someone stays on a page the more likely they are to click an advertisement!. The people who are peeved and just bypass it anyway, aren't the ad-clicking types anyway. So they don't have to care whether you like it or not.

I assume there must be a marketing study out there somewhere that says something to that effect. There must be some scientific analysis that says that the more people you peeve off with your web page design, the less efficient it is, the worse the ratio of bandwidth to useful information content, the more advertising revenue you make.

NK2U and KM1H like this.