ad: QSLWorks-1

New QRZ Home Page

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Today we're pleased to present our new home page redesign. As many of you may have noticed, the look and feel of our front page was starting to show its age. In fact, it has been virtually unchanged for more than a decade. This new layout provides the same great information as before but in a much more intuitive and easy to navigate layout. We've also made the page much more visual with the use of graphics for headline topics. As everyone knows, a picture is much more effective in getting out the word than a cleverly chosen headline, and with this new layout, we have both!

Our engineering manager, Stephen, VA7STV, has been hard at work for months to bring us this new layout. His efforts and technical skills are clearly on display with the new page as there were a great number of engineering details that had to come together to make it work. The end result is a page that looks much more like 2016 and less like the 1990's. That's the art of software engineering and what our team does every day, quietly and behind the scenes, day in and day out to make the magic of QRZ appear on your screens.

Please know that while these changes to the QRZ home page are significant, the rest of the website remains unchanged with all the same data and features as before. It's the same QRZ that you've come to know and love, but with a fresh new suit. And just like a new suit, the person inside is really the same, just sharper looking!

Authors and news correspondents should look for a posting at the top of the News Forum for new publishing guidelines regarding the QRZ home page.

We hope you enjoy our new look and we look forward to bringing you even more new and useful features in the coming months.

-fred

Know and Fixed Issues
    • [Resolved] Some users reported that the 4th column did not fit on smaller displays
      • We now support a 3 column layout
    • [Resolved] Tablet users unable to view full right column
    • [Resolved] Some users are reporting that the layout looks scrambled, with gaps in the grid
      • We have deployed changes that should resolve this issue

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2016
    N4GST, PU5AEC, TA2B and 4 others like this.
  2. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for this Fred and Stephen. When does this redesigned look take place?

3. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

So when does this go live. It still looks the same to me.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope it is when politics go away. That would be a great improvement. Make QRZ a Amateur Radio site again.

Thank You Fred and Stephen.

Keep up the great work.

N0CAB likes this.
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ is What you the Subscriber, and Poster make it.

NK2U and KU4X like this.
  6. IZ8XOV

IZ8XOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Each new feature is always interesting, thanks!

Mike

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I really hate web sites that require me to set my browser to full screen mode to be able to see everything.

VE3JEC, N7IQV and AF6LJ like this.
  8. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, now it's working. I like the pictures and ability to click the comments, but I absolutely do not like the tile thing. I wish it was more of a list layout with pics. Maybe you all can add that as a site option in the future? Also it takes much longer to load the page than it did before.

W2JF, AG5IX, N0EE and 2 others like this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda busy but I am a luddite

NK2U, N7IQV and K6JO like this.
  10. N8KDX

N8KDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I must admit, the old design was much easier to glean info from quickly. With one glance I could check Solar data, latest articles, & anything new for sale. The old design seemed much more user friendly to me. New design will grow on me, I hope.

KM1H, ER1LG, PP8DA and 33 others like this.
  11. K1SCN

K1SCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with PE1GRV & AE7FC.
    Also, Solar data is missing MUF info.

NK2U, WJ1MK and WA8MEA like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Classy!

AF6LJ likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This type of presentation display is fairly typical for tech nowadays. See, for example, WIRED or ARSTECHNICA.... or FUTURISM, and so on.

You can always find the solar data on my bio page;-)

14. K1SCN

K1SCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry .. just realized that the MUF page is there.

15. W0EA

W0EA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is bad for anyone who hasn't got glaucoma yet.

KR4EE, WY4J, NK2U and 1 other person like this.