ad: 5B4AOF-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Ham.Live-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6JBD

WA6JBD Ham Member QRZ Page

My 7300 has been very reliable but I repaired my 746PRO several times, including replacing SMT components. I'll take on the 7300 if/when the need arises. So, there are some of us, but I certainly don't hold the expectation that it could, or even should, be all of us. One of the most satisfying things about this hobby is the variety of people who get involved. There are some really cool people to talk to who did something other than fix radios their entire life. I already know what those people have to say.

KE0GXN likes this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You do, I don’t. We disagree and that’s ok.

N6YWU and WD4ELG like this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

None, pretty much, but neither did MFJ (that IS the company we are talking about) make 7300s. They ar best known for their tuners and a number of other fairly simple but often handy gadgets.

I will agree that problematic Ameritron amps are a very different story.

4. W1LJ

W1LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Repair it yourself! You are a skilled, technically-knowledgeable radio operator, right? Back in the day we BUILT entire amplifiers from scratch.

WA5VGO, K0UO and W3SLK like this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly and this applies to any product of any level of complexity. Unless sold explicitly as a kit, there is an expectation that the product is complete, properly assembled, and ready to use without the purchaser needing to go through it and ensuring it was assembled properly. That we are hams and often technically capable doesn't excuse poor quality control on the part of the manufacturers.

It really depends on your background. I'm just as likely to tear into my car as I am a radio, probably more so since I find cars pretty straightforward.

You don't need an alignment rack to do a basic alignment. People do it and so have I. I rebuilt the front end of my 4x4 and aligned it well enough to drive to a shop for a more precise alignment, but I've seen others using string, tape measures, and bubble levels align theirs and not need a follow-up at a shop.

Bottom line is when you buy a new product there is a legitimate expectation that it should work. That we can repair it ourselves is beside the point. Manufacturers should be held to a reasonable standard of delivery.

Chris

WD4ELG, WA1LBK, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  6. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

some of us are not electrical engineers and not capable of fixing amps. I see your background is ARRL etc. I learned plenty over 30 years of radio. I can do various things and proud of my station. I educated myself but will not attempt to fix an amp. I am an expert in Finance, I focus on that. The guy asked a legitimate question on who will service the amp.

WD4ELG and K0UO like this.
  7. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my HV 4E antenna today. I just ordered it last week. Very well made easy to tune. Now I can work the upper bands. Sad to loose MFJ.

K0UO likes this.
  8. KB1TAE

KB1TAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got my lastorder from MFJ and i have no idea why they are holding out for big buck as my meter was F'ed up a no go right out of the box, most of his gear can built by anyone with half a brain, but it takes special idiots to sell crap in the conditioned i recieved it in for new. I am sure they will make it right one way or another!!!!

KE0GXN and WD4ELG like this.
  9. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Another satisfied customer!

KE0GXN likes this.
  10. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

"This is like voting. You can't complain if you did not vote."

Well I'll beg to differ. I volunteered to serve my country in combat, am 100% disabled due to my service to my country, I eat a handful of pain pills every day due to my service to my country, live with pain daily from a TBI due to my service to my country, have a bullet lodged in my spine that the surgeons say is best left alone or they might paralyze me trying to remove it, I suffer daily and will for the rest of my life.

So I say I damned sure well have earned the right to complain about my government, whether or not I ever cast another GD vote.

Voting is a right, not an obligation. The first Amendment right is not dependent on one's decision to vote or not.

As I told the judge who threatened to throw me in jail for contempt of court at the last jury selection, "You say jury duty is a debt I owe society. Well I say I've paid any debt I owe to society, and then some." I live with Iraq and the pain of traumatic brain injury and crushed vertebrate daily. I spent 20 hours in brain surgery and had the right portion of my skull sawed open to remove puree'd brain tissue and metal fragments. Then spent 3 months in UCU expected not to live. The shrapnel missed my brain stem by 1/2 inch; the surgeon said I'm not supposed to be alive.

I say I owe nothing more to the United States or it's people.

KB8SKK and KC2PMM like this.
  11. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo, Sir. <Start slow clap here>

12. EI8HL

EI8HL Ham Member QRZ Page

have a couple of mfj tuners here over twenty yrs and still tune anything it will be a big loss tnx fer the yrs of reasonably priced equipment.73s de bob ei8hl

13. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've repaired many second-hand cars that I've bought - many years ago. When I've paid multiple tens of thousands of pounds - or dollars - for a brand-new car straight out of the factory, I don't expect to have to raise the bonnet (or hood)... My new Nissan has a problem with one of the key fobs which does not unlock it reliably - it goes back to the dealer on Wednesday to be fixed on warranty.

Martin (G8FXC)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    MM0IMC likes this.
  14. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Ameritron ARB-704 provides excellent voltage surge protection when keying the L4B from the 7300. The MFJ-212 Matchmaker provides excellent service paired with my Heathkit SA -2060. Finally, the MFJ-939 automatic antenna tuner is a workhorse, and excellent little tuner for barefoot. I also own MFJ's first product, the CWF-2. Happy to own these great products, and I'm sure they'll provide many more years of reliable service.

15. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just think, the Amplifier section of the forum will start to see less and less of the regular Ameritron AL-811 questions come up. I'm sure the same will happen to other MFJ brand questions too.;)