ad: UR5CDX-1

Maybe there's hope for cycle 25?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WW5F, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

From the chart, I'm not seeing it.
    From the few sunspots and their latitude, it's a possibility.
    From the hemispheric activity, it's too early to tell if it will be dual-peaked - but from past history, it probably will be.
    Top 5 after a previous bust? When has that ever happened? Not likely.

2. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

We'llsee what it will be, for the rest improve your antenna's if possible and trust more on your operator skill and hope conditions will be good for us.

3. KL7DN

KL7DN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only been a licensed ham since 2014 but I've been in radio since the 80's. I've lived in Alaska and learned all about the HARP project and I understand the science behind good DX and the suns activity. I wonder, if the suns effects on our atmosphere make for good DX, why cant all the hams around the world turn our power output up to the maximum and ionize our atmosphere from within rather than waiting on the sun to do it for us? Just a thought hi, hi...

2E0RLR likes this.
  4. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love that picture from the Monty Python In search of The Holy Grail!
    You get the smile award.

YO3GFH likes this.
  5. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The McIntosh team bases their work on a new variable that drives the sunspots, the Hale Cycle, not “just” the mathematical tool of the Hilbert Transform. Like most mathematics and statistics, it only assists in the understanding of the data. Unlike most all other analyses and predictions of the Sunspot Cycle, this team uses new theory and data to reach their conclusions.

Read the paper...this explanation goes with the graphic posted by the OP:

“The Inferred latitude versus time evolution of the magnetic activity bands and termination events of the 22-year Hale cycle over the past 22 years. Top: Hemispheric and total sunspot number of the recent cycles 23 and 24. Vertical lines show the termination events of cycle 22, 23, and (predicted) 24, which are followed by a rapid rise in solar activity. Bottom: A conceptual drawing of the hypothesized activity bands of M2014 that are the underlying structure of the extended solar cycle. The indicated separation between the cycle 22 and 23 terminators provides a predictor for the cycle 24 amplitude, while likewise the separation between the observed cycle 23 terminator and the predicted cycle 24 terminator provides a method to forecast cycle 25.“

“Their prediction is based on the use of the discrete "Hilbert transform" to explore the relationship between magnetic activity cycle band overlap (via terminator separation) and the amplitude of (resulting) sunspot cycles. (All of which I'm completely unfamiliar with.)“

My interview with Dr. McIntosh appears in an upcoming episode of the ICQ Podcast (ICQPodcast.com).

6. 2E0RLR

2E0RLR QRZ Lifetime Member #563 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would really like to see your podcast please post a link here!
    Rod

K4FMH likes this.
  7. K4FMH

Hi Rod,

it’s an audio podcast...usually making the QRZ.com front page...and is located at ICQPodcast.com. I’m just one of a dozen presenters...

8. K4FMH

My interview with Dr. Scott McIntosh is now scheduled as the feature in the nexpiside of the ICQ Podcast, dropping this Sunday. See ICQPodcast.com...

9. 2E0RLR

Thats great thank you for the information

10. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

1925 is new ?

11. K4FMH

Hi Mark,

If you'll notice, this co-author is in the Time Series Center at the LSE. If you'll think about it, having a scientist who studies and does analytical methods for time series analysis might be a good thing to have on board an analysis of Sunspots, no?

2E0RLR likes this.
  12. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

If applying the theory to data available just prior to cycle 24, how would their predictions fared.

13. K4FMH

Note from the "official" predictions from back in 2009:

"It turns out that none of the models were really correct," says Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. NASA’s lead representative on the panel. "The sun is behaving in an unexpected and very interesting way."
    https://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/solarcycle24.html

Read the paper cited by the OP...and listen to my feature interview with Dr. McIntosh at https://www.icqpodcast.com/download...t-episode-332-exciting-bumper-new-solar-cycle.

Frank
    K4FMH

14. 2E0RLR

Hello Frank Thankyou for the great podcast listened to it all, truly exiting times ahead!
    Rod

K4FMH likes this.
  15. K1LH

K1LH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2E0RLR likes this.