ad: AbAuRe-1

Maybe there's hope for cycle 25?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WW5F, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SS number today is 305 ... Ham: " Is this Heaven ? " No, its Cycle 25 Ham: " I could have sworn it was Heaven "

2. KB7GL

KB7GL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One can only hope the predictions bear fruit...I entered the hobby during the record-setting Cycle 19...it’s been all downhill ever since.

3. KW1NG

KW1NG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like the big wave in "The Perfect Storm"...

W1YW and W0PV like this.
  4. KC1MIJ

KC1MIJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only started with 24. Please God don't let it be worse or at least have my Ft-891, Signalink and Raspberry Pi 4 get along. Amen

K3RW likes this.
  5. NY6P

NY6P Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Scientists get to observe and track hurricanes and typhoons year round every year with the most high tech data available and have for how many years, yet how good are the predictions with that much data. 2 weeks out they have no clue. They predicted the tropical wave that crossed the gulf of Mexico two weeks ago would never achieve tropical storm status all the way until it turned into a full blown hurricane and hit Texas. How many solar cycles have they observed with satellites and all the other high tech equipment? Its a very small sample size. Yet they want to give a guess for 5 years from now? A high tech guess is still a guess. For all we know the exact same thing that just happened on the sun the last year happened 47 cycles ago right before a massive cycle. Scientists are calling for an average cycle just to hedge their bets after all if its high or low they are still close. kinda like betting for a 1-0 soccer score, 95% of the time you will be close.

2E0RLR likes this.
  7. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham's need a Sunspot dance like the Indian's danced for rain.

SA4BRL and HA3FLT like this.
  8. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Num Lat.,CMD Long. Area Extent class count class
    2767 S22W99 198 50 2 HSX 1 A
    2769 N27E41 58 10 2 AXX 2 A
    2770 N21E72 25 60 1 HSX 1 A

We currently have 3 earth facing sunspot groups and they are all solar cycle 25. This is the most sunspot groups at one time in fledgling solar cycle 25.

NL7W, WD4IGX, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have! The Palos Verde Sundancers to be precise. . . Hugh Cassidy, WA6AUD wrote of them in the West Coast DX Bulletin.

Paul Dunphy, VE1DX wrote the following as part of a tribute page we had on them on the old K2CD website. Below is a quote from it:

"The Palos Verdes Sundancers were the ones who brought on the solar cycles . . . they first appeared near the bottom of Cycle 20 when QST was reporting the possibility of another Maunder Minimum. There was historical evidence that there was a time some hundreds of years ago when there were no sunspots for a period of about seventy years. This fact was discovered by someone named Maunder, hence the name. In order to prevent such a dire reoccurrence, the Palos Verdes Sundancers got out their grass skirts and the big bass bongo, Big DX, and danced up the sunspots every 11 years or so. The problem with the Sundancers was that after they got the flux up, they lost interest and stopped dancing! This plunged us into another cycle minimum and they had to be coaxed into doing it all over again."

You gotta be a believer!

N8ZI likes this.
  10. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

We DID have three Sunspot regions on the Earth facing disk but that was yesterday , 2767 rotated out of view and 2769 joined 2768 in becoming a plage , so we only have one region currently facing us atm with two spots. It also looks like the region in the Southern Hemisphere about to rotate into view Wed/Thur may only be a bright region to if it lasts (?)

11. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

Now if I can get a working HF radio by then...and my General...

12. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well good but... 600 watts on CW?

In good sunspot times (almost) no one bothers running more than 100W on CW (except maybe to bust pile ups) because you can work anywhere in the world on that. I routinely worked into Asia and all over Europe with 2W output from an Argonaut 509, using a 40m folded dipole on 15m, up maybe, maybe, 30, more like 25.

13. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Terrestrial weather does not follow a known long term cycle of approximately 11 years with some variation.

I don't put much stock in sunspot predictions either, but it's not a reasonable nor valid comparison to compare them to terrestrial weather. We only use the term "space weather" as an analogy. It isn't at all "weather" in the same sense.

14. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes! Similar thing from the west coast here. Late 80's - HTX-100, 5 watts, (slightly shortened) K40 mag mount. Working stns in China, AS. RU and AF (Azores to Sao Tome) well past midnite on 10m. 73

15. WA7RJ

WA7RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

London School of Economics and Political Science???? What kind of science is this? I get the other ones.