It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KM4KGN

KM4KGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said...the facts remain the same. Which is why I encourage you to look them up for yourself rather than to take my, or anyone else's word for it.

Unfortunate;y, you millennial mindset of " I'd rather just believe the ARRL because it is easier than fact-checking for myself"...is exactly why the ARRL has gotten away with so under-the-table dealing for the last several years.

Now you have a nice day...and God bless.

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

You have presented no facts. You have presented your interpretation of something, but refuse to provide any links.

Why?

I did "look them up for myself". Right here:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About ARRL/Annual Reports/ARRL 2017 Annual Report.pdf

and I don't see anything to back up what you've claimed. Instead, I see total expenditures of slightly less than $7 million for the entire staff's pay and benefits.

"Millenial mindset"? Not me.

Here's the reality: I have encountered some folks who are used to having their say and not being questioned. They want - no, demand - that people either accept what they say "on faith", or, prove that the claims are not valid. They refuse to back up what they say, and insult those who request evidence.

This behavior takes many forms, and is often subtly encoded ("Bless her heart"). But the meaning is clear: the person making the claim can't back it up, and so relies on various techniques to avoid admitting it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    W0AEW likes this.
  3. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

what I am trying to figure out who are the 11 "top officers"? the 5 corporate officers don't get paid at all. the only 2 corporate officers on the payroll are the CEO and the CFO. That total is 7. Who are the "secret 4" ? And if you look on the published, audited balance sheet, total salaries for 2016 were $7,257,268 and for 2017 $6,985,910 which is a decrease of $271,358.

N2EY likes this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Doing WHAT? A couple of hamfests a year...they use private jets?

Oh, I did and hoped to get others to comment, thank you! There is much more to criticize in that IRS document.
    Look closely.

Carl

5. KB1PA

well there are 71 Sections, 15 Divisions that hold annual conventions that can request a visit from a Staff member from HQ. plus there are 2 board meetings, and at least 2 executive committee meetings a year. Add to that any of the numerous ARRL sanctioned hamfests (like state conventions) that can request a visit from a Staff member. That adds up to a LOT of travel (economy only). Plus the mileage driven to hamfest is reimbursable. Travel is not cheap (until someone invents a way to be transported by beaming somewhere).

The cost of Snail Mail is not going down any time soon. A lot of what's mailed cannot be sent electronically. Its not just paper, pens and pencils. I bet the costs are in line with other non profit organizations.

N2EY and KJ4VTH like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Only at the Division level I believe and many are within driving distance of a Director/Vice director. Division conventions are every 4 years and rotated so only a quarter, minus one, are held a year.
    Section "conventions" are put on by local clubs and may/may not have a Section person drive to it.

BIG ones such as Dayton are not ARRL controlled but they do come en masse.

Ive never received any convention related USPS snail mail and brochures, etc are sent in advance by truck to the directors.

If the ARRL has a Travel Dept they plan in advance and get decent discounts.

Carl
    Ham and ARRL member since 1955

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol

8. KB1PA

The expenses are all legit. Could they be optimized, probably. I don't think ARRL has a travel dept.

Division conventions and section conventions are held every year. They are all organized and run by local clubs. Convention "packages" are mailed by USPS to each ARRL authorized convention organizer.

N2EY likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

IOW neither one of us knows if they have a travel department.....or if they use a local agent

10. KB1PA

correct. There is no phone number for a travel dept. and afaik no one is assigned that job. My guess it they use a local travel agent.

FYI, you might have known my "Elmers" Bob Fox, Louis Sirkin, Harry Solov, Dave Mania, et al. you might have also known my Dad, Bernie Porter.

Barry