ad: elecraft

Info Needed on Ham License Plates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N0DOZ

N0DOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Colorado: $4 over the regular cost of plates the first year, $2 per year thereafter.

2. N0DOZ

N0DOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Colorado: forgot to add, they have the "slashed zero" and it's only for ham use. They have "SHC" on the new plates (special ham call, the title of the plate category; trucks have "TRK", government plates have "GVT", etc.) in small letters vertically on the left side of the plate. Looks like an ARRL sticker would cover them up! This is a state with over 100 plate categories... ours is the cheapest by far.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

The State of Alaska offers free Amateur Radio plates to those who hold
    a General Class or higher license and meet the other requirements. The free plates are the standard plates
    but you can pay the $35.00(one time) fee for the specialty plates that have
    pictures on them. Complete information can be found at the following web
    address: http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/plates/amradio.htm.

4. W5USJ

W5USJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Texas Amateur Radio vanity plates cost me $1.00 per year. This is for the yearly registration required. Seems to be the cost of mailing the forms. Otherwise, there is no cost.

Regular vanity plates cost a bunch!

5. W1DFU

W1DFU Ham Member QRZ Page

Vermont has a one time fee of $10.00. Subsequent renewals are at the standard registration fee.I would also add that ham plates are not considered vanity plates and include a distinctive symbol related to amateur radio.

6. KB9TYC

KB9TYC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb9whp @ Mar. 14 2002,02:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wisconsin charges $10 for the initial application . . . . . [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That would be $15.00 now.

7. KC9AYV

KC9AYV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've read input from 4 different members that I feel is incorrect about the additional fee for amateur radio plates in Indiana. I just ordered mine and Its going to cost me $9.00 extra every year. Im not sure if it differs from county to county or vehicle to vehicle in Indiana but for me in Huntington county its $9.00 extra [​IMG]

8. W7TDC

W7TDC Ham Member QRZ Page

In Oregon, we pay a one time fee of $7. The plates are yellow with blue letters.

9. WB5RVV

WB5RVV Ham Member QRZ Page

TEXAS only charges an additional $1.00 per annual renewel of your tags.

10. N9KB

N9KB Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC9AYV @ Mar. 14 2002,16:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've read input from 4 different members that I feel is incorrect about the additional fee for amateur radio plates in Indiana. I just ordered mine and Its going to cost me $9.00 extra every year. Im not sure if it differs from county to county or vehicle to vehicle in Indiana but for me in Huntington county its $9.00 extra [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You are correct in Indiana. I just ordered mine again. $9.00 additional every year. They raised it. The funny thing here is our plates change every four years. In the middle three years regular vehicles just get a sticker to put on your existing plate. If you order a ham plate. They manufacture a new identical plate every year and then put the same sticker on it like everyone else.

11. KG4NOP

KG4NOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Tennessee:

Department of Safety - Amateur Radio License Plate Information

Eligible For: Owners or lessees of passenger motor vehicles who are residents of the state of Tennessee and who hold an unrevoked and unexpired official amateur radio license issues by the FCC.
    Annual Fee:

$46.50 or $21.50 - Auto
    $39.50 or $14.50 - Motorcycle

If the applicant is a member of emergency or rescue squad or ARES, the additional $25.00 is waived.
    Personalized Plate Available: No

12. KG4EFA

KG4EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

It costs a one time fee of 2 bucks here in the wonderful state of Alabama. [​IMG]

13. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w8tvi @ Mar. 11 2002,04:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In michigan the Ham plate is only $2 extra one time fee.

I'm told that there is a new MI Ham plate but I cant tell you anything about it. becouse I have no info on it.

I got the Bridge plate that was an extra $5

Noel W8TVI[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I just got my MI HAM plate a couple of days ago... It has "AMATEUR RADIO" printed down the lefthand side, and your callsign. I got the standard "white and blue" Michigan plate, not opting for the bridge plate. Cost me a grand total of $35, inlcluding registration.

HTH

de AB8LR, Chris

14. W7UY

W7UY Guest

In Wyoming ham plates cost the same as any other vanity plates, $30 plus about $4 postage. However, the plates are good for about 5 years until the basic plate design changes. Additionally, one can have the same plate on a car and a truck.

15. KE4YYD

KE4YYD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Florida call sign plate. It cost the same as a regular plate. The first time they charge for the "metal" but they do that for regular plates also. Good deal. Be sure you apply early as they have to have it special made but they will let you use your expired plate until the new one come in.

David KE4YYD [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.