ad: M2Ant-1

Info Needed on Ham License Plates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Does your state offer distinctive callsign license plates to amateur radio operators?  If so, we need to know how much it costs in your state.

Editor's Note: Thanks for all the messages and responses regarding this topic.  I've already received over 100 emails and am overwhelmed by the response.  Please don't write me about this subject unless you have a specific strategy for helping to change the law in Arizona.  thanks,  -fred

A group of hams in Arizona is currently trying to get amateur radio license plates brought back in our state.  About 5 years ago, the AZ state legislature folded amateur radio plates into the regular Vanity license plate program.  Before the merger, AZ ham plates cost $10 and it was a one-time fee.  Transferring them to another vehicle cost nothing.  The tags were available to all licensed amateurs and served well for years.

In 1996, however, Arizona decided that ham tags were vanity tags and so now it costs $25 PER YEAR to maintain an amateur radio license plate here.  There is no 'Amateur Radio' plate per se, here they're viewed as just another vanity plate.  Needless to say, many Arizona hams dropped their callsign plates (me included) rather than pay the rediculous and arbitrary fee.

Fundamentally, vanity license plate fees are nothing more than a money-hungry state legislature's attempt to setup a carnival booth atmosphere where passers-by can get their fortunes told over-and-over again for a handsome fee.

Let's put it right out on the table:  Once a license plate has been manufactured by cheap prison labor, it costs NOTHING to maintain the number it displays in a state database.  There is no cost justification for a yearly fee whatsoever.  The only excuse that a state government has is that they need the money in the general fund and they see vanity plate holders as easy targets for a shakedown.

Our plans are to review the license plate policies in other states and present a sensible program to the Arizona legislature.  Past efforts have failed when the politicians asked how much money they would lose by reducing the fees.  Their backwards logic sees nothing but the loss of revenue from reducing fees to amateurs.  It's a moot point, however, since few amateurs sign up for it anyway.

We're asking everybody for their suggestions on what the best and proven arguments are for creating a sensible amateur radio license plate program, what the rules (and fees) currently are in your state, and any other advice you may have.  Also, could you please tell us if your state's plates contain the words 'Amateur Radio' or if non-hams are supposed to recognize that the numbers are ham callsigns?

Thanks in advance for your help,

-fred  AA7BQ

2. W8TRW

W8TRW Ham Member QRZ Page

The state of Ohio BMV charges an additional $10.00 for the privilege of having amateur callsign license plates. Unfortunately it is a yearly re-occuring cost to the amateur...

Good luck... de Al/W8AII

3. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

New Mexico.  Apply for standard license plate at standard fees.  Once the plate is issued, apply for amateur radio license plate.  Cost is $3.00.   Thereafter, renew only the amateur license plate, while retaining the other standard plate (at home or in the trunk of your vehicle)  in case you ever want to drop the ham plate  Ham plate renewal is at standard fees, there is no additional $3.00 per year.  If you ever want to drop the ham plate and return to the original, you may do so by renewing the original registration and the hamplate will expire.    

Up until a few years ago it did not say AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR on the plate.  It has now, for probably four years or so, printed beneath the call sign in much smaller print, of course.  

Vanity plates here are, I believe, $35 per year, and there may even be a special one-time "start-up" fee, but I'm not sure.   Of interest, there could be identical vanity plates in New Mexico and in Arizona, but if you get a ham plate, it is unique in the entire world!  

Good luck.  Ed

4. K2RQA

K2RQA Ham Member QRZ Page

New York charges 5$ per year on a 2 year registration
    term. The plate shows a tower, amateur radio and cq in morse.
    73's Don k2rqa

5. KR6ER

KR6ER Ham Member QRZ Page

California, has HAM plates too. They do not say anything on them and they are considered special interest plates. I think after September 11th all the HAMS should lobby their local State Rep's and get bills passed that would require the DMV to issue special plates to HAMS that would say Amateur Radio on them and then your callsign, and the fee would be a one time fee only.

6. W8UFO

W8UFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From the Illinois Secretary of State website:

-----Snip-----
    Ham Radio license plates are available for amateur radio operators. The license plate number assigned is the call number assigned by the Federal Communications Commission. For law enforcement purposes, the number zero (0) is the designate. The plate features the words "Ham Radio" in navy blue on the left side.

To apply for this plate, one must provide a legible photocopy of a current FCC license. The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:

Secretary of State
    501 South 2nd
    541 Howlett Building
    Springfield, Illinois 62756

Initial Cost: $82
    Annual Renewal Fee: $78
    -----End of Snip-----

Given the cost, it's no wonder why we don't see more of them here.

7. W8TVI

W8TVI Ham Member QRZ Page

In michigan the Ham plate is only $2 extra one time fee.

I'm told that there is a new MI Ham plate but I cant tell you anything about it. becouse I have no info on it.

I got the Bridge plate that was an extra $5

Noel W8TVI

8. AB0NF

AB0NF Ham Member QRZ Page

Colorado has ham license plates for $2.00 application, then additional $2.00 each year thereafter.

I think they're green letters on white background with "Amateur Radio" written somewhere on them.

Colorado Amateur License Plate

AB0NF

9. kb0hnr

kb0hnr Ham Member QRZ Page

Missouri - Ham call plates look just like the vanity, but require filling out a different form.

$15 every year, no special designation on the plate. Other special 'interests' have an emblem on the left 1/3 of the plate. The ham and vanity plate look just like the normal issue.

It used to be that the color scheme for vanity plates were gold on black (MU colors), and our ham plates were the 'regular' color scheme, white on maroon. You could as least then tell it was NOT just a vanity plate.

But now, all plates are blue letters with white background which fades to a light green right at the bottom. They all look the same.

Well, except the vanity plates for our senators and representatives...which are now black on gold. (hmmmm)

-Kurt
    KB0HNR

10. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k2rqa @ Mar. 10 2002,09:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">New York charges 5$ per year on a 2 year registration
    term. The plate shows a tower, amateur radio and cq in morse.
    73's Don k2rqa[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    New York also charges $18 for initial issue of the ham radio plates in addition to the $5 renewal fee. The form is available at :http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv411.pdf

We're classified under "emergency services". More information is at:
    http://www.nysdmv.com/emerg.htm

You need to show them a copy of your FCC license in order to get ham plates.

73, Ryan AB2MH
    New York NY

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Pa charges a one time fee of $20, and a wait of about 6 weeks to ge the plate. If transfered to another car, you must pay the transfer fees. Hams can also order a second plate with their callsign with a one behind it, K3RT-1.

12. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I have AZ "Ham plates" on my truck. And I was disappointed when they came and said nothing about Ham Radio on them.
    People look at it as just another vanity plate and scratch their heads trying to figure out what I'm trying to say. Rather disappointing but I shoud have looked into it before I ordered them. I may drop them when it renews next year.

13. fixitman

fixitman QRZ Member

In Oklahoma you must get the form from a VE the tag office does not deal directly with Amateur Radio vanity plates. Here an amateur radio plate is an Alias. If a Cop looks up your callsign plate he will get info on the regular plate. You still have to pay to renew your regular plate as well as $3 to renew the vanity plate. You pay the original $4 to get the plate then just renew your regular plate and not have to pay the $3 renewal fee on the vanity. I learned this from experience. ;)

14. K8TMK

K8TMK Ham Member QRZ Page

Michigan charges only $2.00 over the normal plate fee for amateur plates. One of your other respondees stated its a one-time fee, by I believe it is a yearly fee. After several years of being able to obtain our callsigns on license plates, Michigan has finally added the words "amateur radio" down the left side of the plate. Before that, it just looked like an ordinary plate with a "funny" number. The new plate is available in plain (blue letters on white plate) or the graphic "bridge" plate. I have the bridge plate.

K8TMK

15. NX4O

NX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Afternoon, Fred:

In Florida, one must be a Florida resident and submit an application (form HSMV 83041) directly to DMV in Tallahassee that includes all the standard vehicle information (year, make, model, Title #, Vin #, current tag #, and current decal #), a copy of your current FL insurance card, copy of current registration certificate, a copy of your Ham license, and the total fee of $19.00 ( $5.00 special Amateur Radio license plate fee + $10.00 original license plate fee + $2.50 service charge +$1.50 mail fee ). Of course, the standard registration tax applies determined by the Regular Use, Vehicle type, and License Plate inventory code ( whatever that is).

The Tag that is issued will be " ...inscribed with the official call letters of that amateur radio station and "Amateur Radio" embossed on the bottom of the license plate, ...". Vehicles must be owned or leased by the applicant and those that qualify are:

1. Automobiles
    2. Trucks weighing 5,000 pounds or less
    3. All recreational vehicle-type units which includes travel trailers, camping trailers, motor homes, truck campers, and private motor coaches.

I hope this helps your efforts.

Don, NX4O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.