ad: UR5CDX-1

Info Needed on Ham License Plates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked with PA. last night (800) 932-4600 and they do hold and have amateur radio plates. You can only get one with proof of your ham call, and they cost $20 (one time fee), then the regular renewal fee yearly after that. Your call sign is protected from someone else grabbing it. Just fill out form MV-904 and it is downloadable from the PA site ... www.dmv.state.pa.us

73 - Sam
    K3SAM

2. K3HVG

K3HVG Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB3GUT @ Mar. 12 2002,06:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maryland: Amateur plates are $5 per year. You must also have a regular plate, for which the fee is $35 per year. (Amateur plates are not vanity plates, which are $25 per year plus regular plates.) Your "old" plate remains in force and you can switch back to the regular plates whenever you want--no need to notify the state. You can also transfer your amateur plates to a different car--but you do have to notify the state for this. The plates have the legend "Amateur Radio Operator" along the bottom. Use a special form (the same form for vanity, but has a special block for amateurs). Looks like a vanity plate except for the "Amateur Radio Operator" legend. You can also have a dash number suffix if you want to have mamateur plates on more than one car. You do have to present a copy of your ham license. Available as a handicapped plate, too!

Since I intend to retire to Arizona next year, I hope you have success! As you build your case, tell the legislators that I am willing to pay a nominal extra annual fee (say, $10) for amateur plates but I will not pay that exorbitant vanity fee.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hmmmm...I don't think that's quite correct. Years ago, one had a dual set of plates but now you get only a regular, vanity, or special plate (ham). I just paid my current renewal fee, $70, for 2 years... no option for one year. Renewal is just the same as for a regular tag, no special paperwork. Again, unlike vanity tags, there is no extra charge for ham tags, per se.

3. N0YKX

N0YKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Iowa charges an extra $5 per year for Ham Plates on top of whatever it costs for regular plates.  It's treated like a Special Interest plate and not a Vanity, which costs more.  

There is not indication of Amateur Radio on the plate, Just your call with a slashed zero if appropriate.

4. WD4KDT

WD4KDT QRZ Member

I am in Georgia, and the fee for the Amateur Tag is $0.00.  In fact, there is no charge to have the tag manufactured nor is there a annual tag fee.  The only thing we pay is the ad valorum tax on the vehicle. [​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Illinois

Ham plates are $82 for the first year, $78 to renew. Regular plates are $78 so the only charge is the initial $4 fee to get your plate.

It is a little inconvenient, you have to write a special office in Springfield, and I hear there is quite a wait to get them but you can't beat the price! [​IMG]

6. K8PNW

K8PNW Ham Member QRZ Page

An additional note for Michigan: an attempt to add Amateur radio to the Vanity plate system at a cost of $25.00 passed the Senate 33-0. Mail from a well organizged plan by amateurs exceeded the number of letters each represenative recieved on an abortion bill. The preposal was soundly defeated in the house roads and bridges committee and many senators were back pedaling their descision.

7. W5ETM

W5ETM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, folks from Texas let's get it straight (the first couple from Texas I read had wrong info in them),

Texas charges $2.00 for the initial plates, you can get the same set for 1 or 2 cars (2 cars would be 2 x $2 or $4).  The plates belong to the operator, if you change vehicles all you have to do is send in a form (it's the same form as the inital application form, there is a space for vehicle change) and tell TxDOT what the vin, make,and model of the vehicle the plates are currently on.

Replacement plates are $1.00 if lost or stolen or unreadable.

The plate renewal is $2.  TxDOT will send a letter 3-4 months ahead of renewal, send them a check and they send back a letter that you take with you to the county tax collecor when you reregister the vehicle.

The plates are white with Radio Operator in blue across the top of the plate and call sign in blue.

According to the rules, you are suppposed to maintain a radio in the vehicle, either mobile or portable, while displaying the plates.  I don't know anyone who has ever been asked to show the radio, but I guess it could happen.

Ed, W5ETM
    Fort Worth, TX

8. K1XV

K1XV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In New Jersey, there is a one time fee per set of plates of $15.00.  (It used to be $10.00) and the plate will now say "Amateur Radio".  Before, it said nothing that identified it as an amateur radio plate, other than the call sign.

If you have a call less than 5 characters, you can get multiple sets of plates.  For example, I have two cars, and my plates are "K1XV" and "K1XV-2".

Once you have the plates, the annual registration fees are no different than for any other kind of license plate.

Ray  K1XV

9. NA7CJ

NA7CJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In PA, the fee is an additional $20 for Amateur Radio specific plates.
    de N3IEC
    Craig

10. N7QH

N7QH Guest

I moved to AZ from WI.,and I was surprised to find that the policy was the way it is.  Wisconsin allows free amateur plates, aside from the regular price.  I agree about the State govt. just fleesing us.  I feel with all of the civic and volunteer work hams do, we should get a break on the price for amateur plates.  Imagine what the state would have to pay for state employees to do what we happily do for free.  Another point is that in the state of AZ, we only recieve one (1) licence plate, cutting the cost for manufacturing in half!
    N7QH

11. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nevada - Charges $25 initial fee and waives $10 of that if you sign an affidavit stating you are available to assist yoru community during emergencies. Interestingly, we have about four times as many people with plates that say "radio amateur" with their call signs than we have signed on for ARES and RACES put together....  Hmmm....

It is my opinion that ALL the states should make amateur call sign plates the same as a regular license except for a one-time set up charge.  There should be no renewal fees added each year. This would at least compensate those of us who are active in emergency communications to some degree.  I think I like Georgia's better... [​IMG]

73, Paul - NN7B
    Nevada Section EC

12. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nevada - Charges $25 initial fee and waives $10 of that if you sign an affidavit stating you are available to assist your community during emergencies. Interestingly, we have about four times as many people with plates that say "radio amateur" with their call signs than we have signed on for ARES and RACES put together....  Hmmm....  Also, there is an annual fee of $10 but, that is waived with the affidavit presented with your renewal registration every year.

It is my opinion that ALL the states should make amateur call sign plates the same as a regular license except for a reasonable one-time set-up charge of say, $10.00.  Renewal of the same plates should be free and there should be no re-issue charge if transferred to another vehicle.

I would like to see this become an initiative throughout the whole contry for states that do not do this already or, their fees are outrageously high such as Illinois has.  Maybe we could start the ball rolling on this item just as we have the PRB-1 adoptions....

73, Paul Cavnar - NN7B
    Nevada Section EC

13. KC9AZH

KC9AZH Ham Member QRZ Page

In Indiana there is a five dollar fee for a call plate every time you renew your licence plate. I have not yet gotten a call plate but plan on it. They are really cool.

KC9AZH, Andrew
    73's

14. W1OA

W1OA Ham Member QRZ Page

New Hampshire does not have Ham Radio Plates. Hams do have their calls on their plates, if desired, but they are treated as Vanity Plates for an annual fee of $25 above the costs for a regular registration. There have been several attempts to get "Ham Plates" but in all instances they have been shot down by an influential state official. Last year was the latest attempt. The state does have distinctive plates for others such as Veterans, Purple Heart, National Guard etc. These officials don't seem to realize that hams can help out in times of natural disasters. What better way for a public safety official to spot a ham than to see the distinctive plate.

Allan, W1OA

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Fred,

I just checked for the latest fee for a ham plate here in the state of WA. It is $9 and no renewal fee. Here is the link to the site that explains qualifications etc.
    http://www.wa.gov/dol/vehicles/tr-spp.htm#Amateur
    You can check out the other personalized plate options here also. From the replies I have read here, sounds like we have it good. Don't know how long it will last as the state is hurting for funds.
    Hope the info helps.

Don
    KC7OO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.