ad: Retevis-1

Info Needed on Ham License Plates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA5RR

WA5RR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just applied for specialized North Carolina Amateur Radio license plates and it will cost me $31.00 annually.

I believe it may be cheaper for someone with a passenger car but I own a pickup truck.

2. WA0HPN

WA0HPN Ham Member QRZ Page

In North Dakota, the State Division of Emergency Mangement was instrumental in getting ham plates available at NO additional charge.

The only thing you are required to produce is a copy of your ham ticket.

The rational of the state DEM was that Ham radio provides needed communications in the event of emergency, and therefor should be easily recognized by the authorities.

(It helped to have a couple of active hams on the DEM staff at the time this came up in the legislature.) [​IMG]

3. W5BXE

W5BXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Arkansas charges an additional $2.00 for ham plates. This is a recurring fee above and beyond the fee charged for vehicle plates.

4. NZ4MB

NZ4MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Georgia there is NO COST for an amateur licensce plate. There is a cost to transfer, but it is the same as vanity, Amateur or regular plates.

Enjoy! [​IMG]

5. NC9L

NC9L Ham Member QRZ Page

In the state of Indiana there is only a $2.00 fee per year to have your callsign on your license plate.

I live in Arizona now and would like to see the laws changed on this issue.

Let me know how I can be of help!

Thanks
    James Jakubin NC9L (Currently waiting for vanity call KE7TI).

6. AH7E

AH7E Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hawaii Revised Statutes provide for distinctive license plates for amateur radio operators. Any licensed amateur (except Novices) may obtain their call letters on special plates. Currently, there is a one time fee of $10.00 for obtaining these plates.

On Oahu, you may obtain these special plates from the Oahu Civil Defense Agency by bringing a copy of your amateur radio license and $10.00 (cash only) to our office, located in the basement, 650 South King Street. The clerk will fill out the application, and you will have to initial the receipt to indicate that the call sign on the order is correct.

State Civil Defense requires that we accumulate a minimum of ten orders before forwarding to them. When they receive our order, they will combine it with orders from other counties and make a blanket order.

After a suitable manufacturing time (generally a minimum of 8 weeks), State Civil Defense will return the order to Oahu Civil Defense, and you will be notified that the plates are in our office and may be picked up.

We will notify you when the plates are here. Return to Oahu Civil Defense, this time bringing the regular plates and registration for the car that you want the amateur plates on. The clerk will fill out a temporary registration for you, and you will have to get a new registration decal and certificate from a full service satellite city hall. Information on satellite city hall hours and locations are on the web or call 527-6695 for more information. We will retain your regular plates in our files to return to you when needed.

You should remember that like any registration, your new plates are for your personal use on that one car, and they should not be transferred to another owner or another vehicle. When you decide to sell or abandon your vehicle, you must go through the same procedure -- bring the plates in, we issue a temporary registration which you then take back to the satellite city hall to get your new decal and registration certificate for the original plates. We will retain the amateur plates for you until you get your new car and the plates can be reissued to you.

If you would like to have your old amateur plates for a souvenir, they must be defaced in a manner to prevent them from being used as a license plate again. We do this by punching two or three 1-1/2 inch holes in the plate.

7. KA4VMP

KA4VMP Ham Member QRZ Page

No charge in Virginia for Ham plates.

snip from Virginia DMV;

"Number of characters available on personalized plate message 6
    Plate Fee (in addition to registration fee) N/A
    Personalized plate message fee (in addition to plate fee) $ .00 Annually
    Disabled symbol available Yes

Requirements: MUST PROVIDE WRITTEN STATEMENT FROM FCC LICENSED AS HAM RADIO OPERATOR. VEHICLE MUST HAVE OPERATIONAL RADIO EQ. PERMNT INSTALLED"

Ed, ka4vmp

Fishersville, Virginia

8. K6ME

K6ME XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kr6er @ Mar. 11 2002,09:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">California, has HAM plates too.  They do not say anything on them and they are considered special interest plates.  I think after September 11th all the HAMS should lobby their local State Rep's and get bills passed that would require the DMV to issue special plates to HAMS that would say Amateur Radio on them and then your callsign, and the fee would be a one time fee only.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sorry to say California does not offer Ham or Amateur plates. Those that you see with Ham Calls are VANITY plates purchased at a onetime cost of $21.00.
    They are yours forever. Yes I believe California should offer Amateur Plates just like the many different types of Vanity plates now offered.
    73s: K6ME

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Oregon charges a flat rate of $13.00 for ham plates. I just ordered plates the other day.
    Pat / KG7HT

10. W0PML

W0PML Ham Member QRZ Page

Missouri treats Amateur Radio plates as any other vainity plate.

The fee is $18 and the quality of the plate is not as good as the normal plates. They are made with either paint or tape.

11. kc2jga

kc2jga Banned

Just an addition to a previous post. The NY vanity plates is $18.50 to get the plates, and $5.00 per year after that. Normal NY re-registration(every 2 years) is actual cost to register your vehicle, and an additional $10.00 on top of that for the vanity plates.

73's.
    KC2JGA
    Mike

12. Guest

Guest Guest

South Carolina gets $3 for a plain white feild with black letters. $30 For a "personailzed" plate with your callsign.

13. G4CEO

G4CEO Ham Member QRZ Page

Vanity Plates - consider yourselves lucky with the prices you pay. Here in the UK, the Government cottoned on the value of such plates to Hams. Such plates were put on the market a couple of years ago, starting about £ 450 I believe. Oh, and every time you put your plate on another car they charged an £80 re-assignment fee. Multiply those figures by 1.4 (approx current exchange rate) and you can see vanity plates are EXPENSIVE here in the UK. No wonder us Brits like to holiday in the U.S.- everything here is expensive. Don't mention the price of gasoline!
    Bob G4CEO.

14. N0MRR

N0MRR Ham Member QRZ Page

$10.00 in Minnesota, Plates say "Amateur Radio" on the bottom. This also goes for FCC CB plates aswell, Go retro!
    B^>

Russ - N0MRR

Minnesota Statute 168.12    

Subd. 2.    Amateur radio licensee; special plates.  (a)
    Any applicant who is an owner or joint owner of a passenger
    automobile, van or pickup truck, or a self-propelled
    recreational vehicle, and a resident of this state, and who
    holds an official amateur radio station license, or a citizens
    radio service class D license, in good standing, issued by the
    Federal Communications Commission shall upon compliance with all
    laws of this state relating to registration and the licensing of
    motor vehicles and drivers, be furnished with license plates for
    the motor vehicle, as prescribed by law, upon which, in lieu of
    the numbers required for identification under subdivision 1,
    shall be inscribed the official amateur call letters of the
    applicant, as assigned by the Federal Communications Commission,
    and the words "AMATEUR RADIO."  The applicant shall pay in
    addition to the registration tax required by law, the sum of $10
    for the special license plates, and at the time of delivery of
    the special license plates the applicant shall surrender to the
    registrar the current license plates issued for the motor
    vehicle.  This provision for the issue of special license plates
    shall apply only if the applicant's vehicle is already
    registered in Minnesota so that the applicant has valid regular
    Minnesota plates issued for that vehicle under which to operate
    it during the time that it will take to have the necessary
    special license plates made.  If owning or jointly owning more
    than one motor vehicle of the type specified in this
    subdivision, the applicant may apply for special plates for each
    of not more than two vehicles, and, if each application complies
    with this subdivision, the registrar shall furnish the applicant
    with the special plates, inscribed with the official amateur
    call letters and other distinguishing information as the
    registrar considers necessary, for each of the two vehicles.  
    And the registrar may make reasonable rules governing the use of
    the special license plates as will assure the full compliance by
    the owner and holder of the special plates, with all existing
    laws governing the registration of motor vehicles, the transfer
    and the use thereof.

15. N0CLX

N0CLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes kansas offers a a.r.o. tag a amateur radio operater tag it costs $1.00 over the price of a car or truck tag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.