ad: CQMM-1

Icom IC-705 Update, antennas & portable power

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 10, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4ICD

G4ICD Ham Member QRZ Page

No! the X5105 and the G90 QRP transceivers are DESIGNED and BUILT in China, check them out.

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Primitive outdated technology devices of the middle level?
    A great example of what they are really capable of...

Wait! What I see? ST32F4xx inside? A little color display with panorama and waterfall? Yes, this is the design of the talented Chris M0NKA in far 2014!
    What did the Chinese do if they did not steal it from him?

WN1MB likes this.
  3. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

D Star forever! Have been a part of DStar since the beginning and like many have looked back! GO ICOM AND DStar ! This IC-705 is very interesting and I believe will be another great radio like the IC-706.

N8FNR likes this.
  4. F4FSG

F4FSG Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_20200212_201736.jpg

5. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not having an ATU is a deal breaker?

Not trying to come off as an "elitist" or anything but you guys these days can't build an antenna that doesn't need a tuner? With all these cheap "analyzers" and VNAs available, you still need training wheels?

KD6RMS, K8WAR, K8HIT and 1 other person like this.
  6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t “need” a built-in ATU. I don’t “need” air conditioning in my car, either...but I’d never buy a car without it.

N8FNR likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming soon to a forum near you: "My rig won't build and install the antenna for me."

US7IGN, K8AI, K8WAR and 2 others like this.
  8. N8FNR

N8FNR Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered a battery from Batteries America for my Icom ID-51A+2 on 4/23 and the USPS picked it up on 4/24 but as of today (4/30) the USPS tracking says that it is in transit so it is stuck somewhere. I live in Royal Oak, a suburb north of Detroit and asked our mailman if there are any issues processing mail. He said that a lot people who work in the USPS processing facility in Oakland County had gotten Covid-19 so I understand why I have not gotten my battery.

Zack N8FNR

K8XG likes this.
  9. N8FNR

And pasta and paper too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  10. N8FNR

If the IC-705 did full duplex on 2M/70cm for SSB & CW they would sell like crazy to satellite ops.

Zack N8FNR

KQ4MM likes this.
  11. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Triple P

"Just because you just turned 80, you can't be turned down for any reason!"

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

12. KK6ZHJ

KK6ZHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this radio will be good for new HFers (new Hams/Generals) who aren't already invested in an HF setup. One radio to rule them all -- should work well with an amp in a shack, and in the outback with resonant antennae or an external tuner.

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets wait to see what the current meter says hooked up to an actual real radio in the field instead of unverified "specs."

14. G4ICD

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  15. G4ICD

Icom UK have just issued a statement 29th May 2020
    Icom UK Press release May 29th 2020 – Factory deletes 4m Option on IC-705. Source courtesy MLS website