ad: CQMM-1

Icom IC-705 Update, antennas & portable power

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 10, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the concept.

OH8STN likes this.
  3. KE6MAK

KE6MAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Many things have been delayed due to COVID-19 so I don't think any of us should be surprised by this.

Were I doing QRP more than once or twice a year now I would probably buy one. After all, my home rig was a Yaesu FT-897D and my QRP rig an FT-817nd. This IC-705 would be a natural as I also have the IC-7300. Parent and child radios (mostly) in both cases. Though the FT-817 did not have DSP.

I think Yaesu should have gone "Awe darn - we missed the boat" after releasing the FT-818 and then this coming on the horizon shortly afterward . Wondering if they will try to play catch up. I don't see Kenwood as providing anything for QRP, and they have also lessened their overall product line.

WL7PM likes this.
  4. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I really like it. Eventually I’ll have one.

K4AGO, KG4CWC, KA4RUR and 1 other person like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not surprised at all. Very convenient for ICOM, though, as this isn't the first delay for this particular product. Never let a crisis go to waste, eh?

G1UFM, K4AGO, K8AI and 2 others like this.
  6. K4HPD

K4HPD Ham Member QRZ Page

My .02 cents...
    I'm not a General, but, a lowly tech.

But I'm also an avid SWL listener, and this rig, hits two very important marks for me.

First and foremost, it has a waterfall / spectrum display, I don't have to spin a knob as much while searching for something to listen to.

Secondly, besides HF, it also does VHF / UHF + D-STAR, not too crazy about D-STAR, since most of my buddies are on Fusion, but, I can work around that with the reflectors available which seem to get more use than Yaesu's original C4FM flavor. Even then, my QTH has plenty good availability of either flavor so, a win-win for me.

Considered the Yaesu's FT-991A rig before, but, that hideous waterfall display...couldn't get past it

I can always get my general later and take full advantage of this rig.

Up until this time, I was wondering why Icom, with such great rigs, wouldn't come out with a VHF / UHF solution, it suddenly dawned on me, this could be it.

K7TWP, N7BWB and NB7A like this.
  7. KD7WPJ

KD7WPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

D-Star is a mistake. Administrator disconnected D-Star server at Livermore, CA about 5 years ago, because nobody uses D-Star.

VE7DXW likes this.
  8. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I like Dstar. I prefer it over fusion.

KG4CWC, NX2O, K8WAR and 3 others like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember when the IC-7300 came out, I knew it was going to be a game changer. The IC-705 is no different, it brings a host of features to the portable/QRP operator that no other radio has. I expect it will be a great success as the 7300 has been. There will always be the fan boys who will hate on anything not made by their favorite company, but they only seem to dislike anything that truly threatens their brand. This radio is the one that is making all of the QRP/portable radio manufacturers sit up and take notice. One again, it looks like Icom has hit a home run with the IC-705.

NL7W, N7BWB and N0KEW like this.
  10. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I feel that Fusion has the best audio quality between DMR, D-Star and Fusion, those three markets have been driven by radio price. I suspect there are more DMR radios in the hands of amateurs because they are nearly giving them away. When Yaesu released the FT-70 that was a game changer for getting more Fusion users. I know so many people that ran out and bought an FT-70 just to get a Fusion radio because it was at the right price point.

Icom missed the mark when it comes to getting more D-Star users by not having a budget priced radio. Until that happens the D-Star fan base will stay where it is. I listen to all three technologies and they all have a reasonable number of users with D-Star probably having the least as far as from what hear.

I anxiously await my notification that my preorder for the 705 has arrived.

K8XG, NL7W and OH8STN like this.
  11. G4PWO

G4PWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Debunking your debunking of the "hate" comments ;-)

Firstly, there's absolutely no need to buy an audio interface that is "half the size of the radio", tiny soundcards are available e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ - so that is a non-argument.

Secondly - automatic ATU lovers haven't necessarily "forgotten" resonant antennas (I often use them) but even when using something like a Super Antenna MP1, an internal ATU takes all the pain out of resonating the antenna and getting on the air quickly.

If I'm setting up for all-day portable operation, I usually go for a resonant antenna for reasons of efficiency.

HOWEVER: When I'm going for a walk and want to travel light, I usually take my KX2 with a MFJ-1899T telescopic whip and (for when there's a tree available) a 4-meter length of wire to throw over a branch. This set-up (combined with some radial wires) is incredibly small and light and using the internal ATU I can reliably be on the air on all bands from 40m-10m in about 2 minutes.

You won't beat that hassle-free speed of deployment if you have to spend time tuning a resonant antenna manually. I can set up, have a few QSOs, pack up and be on my way before you're even on the air ready to go with your IC-705 and MP1. Surely ease and speed of deployment is something that's important in an emergency responder scenario? You may also be hard-pressed to beat the size and weight of the equipment I'm using (I'm pretty sure that a MP1 antenna weighs more than the KX2 internal ATU PCB). Size and weight is something that is extremely important if you are planning on taking the equipment for a long hike.

The huge success of the FT817 before radios like the KX2 came along is not an argument for an ATU free radio, any more than the success of the horse-drawn chariot before the car came along is an argument for a horse-drawn chariot as a reasonable form of transport in the modern era.

Obviously the IC-705 will have certain advantages in some situations but at the ultra-portable lightweight end of the market, comparing it to my KX2, it feels to me like it is trading attributes that I feel provide primary value (internal ATU, ultra-low receiver current drain) for non-essentials (nice big color display).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    F4HPX, KB2SMS, N2CST and 5 others like this.
  12. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your best video IMO thank you, however, when comparing with the elekraft’s I think you say the IC705 has an ITU built in.

OH8STN likes this.
  13. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really see the IC-705 and the Elecraft radios as competing. They both fill different niches. My particular wants/desires leave me with keeping my KX2 (or my MTR-3B!), but I can see the attraction of this radio.

KB2SMS, K7GYB, OH8STN and 1 other person like this.
  14. G4ICD

G4ICD Ham Member QRZ Page

Still awaiting my pre-orders but have made several "commercial tactical antenna kits for Codan/Barrett ALE radios" which are resonant end fed single and multi band plus a 50MHz resonant end fed, ideal for the IC-705 de G4ICD/GJ4ICD............www.rfcomms.co.uk

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  15. N2CST

N2CST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

but wait....no antenna tuner built in? Don't sell your KX-3 before the dust settles!

VK2GD and US7IGN like this.