HRD Software, LLC celebrates 1 year anniversary

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WJ6R, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't think calling Simon "senile" is going to get you anywhere.

As I mentioned before, I'm running HRD with Windows 7 64 bit and it runs just fine. I have no problems at all. Now, I have to assume we have the same software. Yet, mine works just fine and yours does not. What are the possible differences??

Your hardware.

If HRD software was fundamentally flawed, it would not work WITH ANY hardware!! That isn't the case.

I have absolutely NO relationship with the HRD folks at all, but you seriously need to investigate your HARDWARE as clearly you have issues with it. Simply put, it ain't HRD, it's your hardware!

............Bob

2. AC2FO

AC2FO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob, I said if he thinks that then he must be senile,I don't see Simon rushing in here to help me, nor does he own the company, so I think I will be ok in that regard anyhow. Tell all those in the forums with problems it isn't the software it is their hardware which used to work before the latest Updates came out. You bring up how your works and mine doesnt, well my HRD worked fine for me with XP, so anyone who had a problem while using XP, well it has to be there hardware since mine worked fine?

Easy way out blame my equipment, but the program opens, I am able to connect to my rig on occasion , it then runs for 30 seconds then reboots my computer so now way it could be software right? not so fast TRX Manager works fine on my computer with my USB/CI-V cable so there goes that theory. Look I want HRD to work im not here to bash them W4PC had offered to help with other problems months ago even gave his phone number out, how can I have a problem with that, but when they were putting out 9 new updates in less than 6 months. Nah Can't be software issue.

W4PG thanks for the advise in fixing my problem., oh that's right you didn't offer a solution you just told me how wrong I am. :(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. KB3NPH

KB3NPH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll tell you what Dennis, this back and forth crap is getting nothing accomplished. I will PERSONALLY try to help you get HRD setup and running for you. I have also talked with Rick, one of the owners and lead programmer for HRD Software LLC and he said if necessary he would step in also and help. Send me a private e-mail. My e-mail address is listed in the call sign look-up here on QRZ. Give me a rundown of your problem step by step of what is happening. Include your operating system, which you have already said is Windows 7,the amount of RAM you have in your computer, your rig, how your CAT control is interfaced, true RS232 from the computer to the rig or through a USB/SERIAL converter, how your AUDIO is interfaced (SignaLink or what ever). I'll also need to know what other software your running along with HRD, such as anti-virus, Microsoft Office or other major programs.

The ball is in your court.

73 Tim (KB3NPH)

4. KB3NPH

KB3NPH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bob,
    I have offered to personally troubleshoot his problem and get him set up and running. I agree with your assessment that the problem lies somewhere in hardware, most likely in the interface. As you know HRD beats the daylights out of the interface. It uses it very heavily and unless there is a good chipset in the converter, it's gonna cause problems. Most people just can't visualize that but in 99% of the cases where people are having problems like he describes, that's the culprit. There is one simple test that I can run on his computer that will prove whether it is a software or interface problem, so the ball is in his court, so to speak.

Thanks for your support Bob

73 and Good DX
    Tim (KB3NPH)

5. AC2FO

Tim, I will email you later this evening, maybe we should skip me sending you all that info since your sure it is my hardware, lets get right to your test, but a word of advise today I am running HRD on a Acer 10" laptop with windows 7 and I am using the same Ci-V - USB cable from radio to computer. It has ran all day with no problem no lock up, and no rebooting of my computer so blaming the chipset sounds like easy way out, but we will give it a go.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

There are other programs that have issues with the prolific chipsets...

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php?topic=52947.0

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-win7pro-x64-575293.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-screen/318686b2-12c7-4291-9620-9b33045f6a42

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/63226-prolific-adapter-bsod.html

http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/faqs/82-windows-bsod

http://coastalexplorer.net/forums/support/topics/37999

An app cannot cause a BSOD, only a driver at Ring 0 of the processor can. Why? Because Apps run at Ring 3 and have no direct access to the hardware. Drives run at Ring 0 and have access to the hardware.

Why does the prolific driver BSOD? It has a buffer overflow when the overlfow bit hits in the flags of the 8250 emulation in the driver. What you get that, it blows the stack and your return address gets lost. So now you have a dangling pointer, pointing to god knows where in memory. Check out the CS:IP on the screen...

Rick - W4PC

7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Dang Rick! Just let my wife read that and she got all excited! Something about the dangling pointer! What's a BSOD anyhow?

:)

..............Bob

8. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL

Blue Screen Of Death.

9. AC2FO

Rick, I am not seeing he BSOD with my situation, although it was rebooting computer on occasion, Why would the prolific chipset work with HRD on my Acer Aspire laptop without a problem? It also works on the same computer with TRX manager? Thats the puzzle to me.

10. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Reboot is the same as BSOD, ring 0 device goes out into space with a NULL or danging pointer.

Acer was windows Xp, different driver for 32 bit XP than Windows 7 64 bit. Can't use a 32 bit driver on a 64 bit machine. The 32 bit driver behaves itsself better.

Ive tried to get prolific to give us the source, so we could have a branded and tester driver, they wont though.

No puzzle, it's a know fact prolific's have issues with the overflow bit, which also goes into hardware handshake. If the overflow bit hits, the driver SHOULD lower the hardware handshake line until the internal FIFO buffer clears. This is also slower due to the fact you're emulation the 8250 in software and not using a hardware latch to do it. (slower of course is relevant when you're bit banging too '))

RT Systems has a very cheap FTDI adapter for the radios. Those have 100% success rate. They also send the source, which is why Rob (RT systems) and Karin can brand their drivers..

Because HRD looks at the status of the radios more than TRX does, there will be times when the driver hits the overflow bit and causes the reboot or BSOD. Again, the list of other products having issues with prolifics (outside of the ham world) is an indication that the driver still need more tweaking.

Rick - W4PC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.