ad: wmr-1

HR2.0: Episode 97 - How To Teach a 1-Day Technician Class, by KB6NU (Dayton Hamvention)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W5NIO

W5NIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my license when I was 12, and bought an FM only 10m Alinco, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't hear anything. I reached out on my local repeater and was really embarrassed when I found out it was SSB on 10M only for techs. Now I am fully aware and am studying for my general.

KF0G likes this.
  2. KI4OYV

KI4OYV Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear, see and read lot of these "comments" also from so-called General and Extra hams. Don;t know where they got their tickets from, but I'm sure it wasn't going to a one day course.

3. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Incorrect. You can download his license manuals in PDF format for free. You might try listening to the presentation before commenting.

4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of negative comments on this post. To each his own, I say. But if you listen to Dan's presentation, then you would hear him say 2 things:
    1. You learn by doing (most people do, including myself) but you can't operate a radio without a license. So get the license, then learn how to use it actually using it.
    2. Dan also says that you should do follow up courses, AFTER getting licensed. How to solder, how to program your HT, etc.

If you have ever attended a RACES event, and you ask someone to go to a frequency on their HT that isn't in their codeplug, and it confused them - but they have been an Extra Class ham for 40+ years - then you will soon realize that radio programming difficulty isn't limited to just those folks who got their first ticket in a 1-day class.

K9MOG, AC7DD, W6NYA and 2 others like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's another reason why it's sad:

If these one day wonders don't know what a dipole antenna is, what does that say about the quality or thoroughness of the one day "course" or (non) use of study materials? We're talking about one of the most basic antenna types here - not a Sterba array or cubical quad.

And if they are clueless about something as basic as a dipole, how well are they prepared in proper operating procedures, band and sub-band limits, or other basic stuff they're supposedly licensed to know about?

W1YW and KY5U like this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Judging by the number of Techs buying Baofengs, the Tech classes are pretty much failing amateur radio. Why help them get a license to be immediately disillusioned?

KF0G likes this.
  7. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Some questions.
    1. Do you know anyone who studied by himself or herself using whatever means required to pass an exam? Certainly. I did that. 1987.
    2. Do you know anyone who studied by studying the questions, and figured out the theory later? Yes. I did that. 1987.
    3. Do you really think that the answer to "how did person XYZ get into ham radio?" is a predictor of what he/she will get out of it?
    I passed the Novice exam while in high school and did nothing for 2+ years.
    The summer between HS and College, with a push from a few local hams I met at the store where I worked, I put together a station.
    Freshman year of college, I passed the Tech, General, Advanced, and Extra exams, one per month, by studying the questions.

Nobody ever "taught me," except for the many Elmers who spent their time in teaching me everything they knew.

Let's go forward 30 years...

I teach weekend-long technician license classes. We use kb6nu's tech manual as an outline. The classes I teach are TWELVE hours of classroom instruction.

It should be noted that the audiobook version KB6NU's technician class study guide is only TWO hours long.

Since it takes TWO hours to listen to the book, and we spend TWELVE hours in class, that means that multiple electrical engineers with Extra class licenses and 30+ years of experience on the air are teaching "off-topic" material for TEN HOURS to ANYONE who's willing to give up a weekend. You can see puffs of smoke coming out of peoples' ears by the end.

Believe it or not, unless you're an engineer or a ham, you probably don't know much about math, mixers, antennas, filters, modulation, operating techniques, or FCC rules.

Now...consider a six-week class, two hours / day, and you also have...TWELVE hours of instruction.

I consider the weekend class format to be vertically-stacked instead of horizontally-stacked - and much easier for many to attend due to scheduling.

Here are some things I have gleaned.
    • Nobody is forced to take a ham radio class.
    • Most people without a technical background have FORGOTTEN the math they learned in high school.
    • Twelve hours of classroom instruction - especially in a topic that's completely new to someone - is REALLY HARD to absorb.
    • Nobody is allowed to screen prospective examinees at a VE session as to how they studied, who they studied with, and their motivations.
    • I know a LOT of people who have gotten into ham radio because they really wanted to, but never really got affiliated with any club, and never did much.
    • Everyone who gets a license will be making their first contact using their own callsign, and will be nervous, and will probably make mistakes.
    • Correct mistakes, but do so respectfully. You were once a beginner. Never forget that.
    Personally, I wish to take what I have learned, find a bunch of people who are interested in learning (for ANY REASON of their own choosing), and teach.

I suspect that my students will retain 20% of what they hear. That's NOT 100% of 20% and 0% of 80% - it's 20% of everything, so seeds have been planted in a multitude of areas.

I try to stay in touch with all of my students. I try to get them involved - E-mails, meetings, weekly gatherings, contest operations at the club station, nets, field day, whatever.

Some people will always stick a radio in the drawer and forget about it. It's up to US to make sure that doesn't happen.

I sincerely hope that those of you who would write off short-form classes would instead direct your energy toward possibly scheduling and teaching one.

You'll find that the people who are there to take your class are very serious about learning what you have to teach, and that it's very rewarding.

Thanks,

Scott N7JI

AC7DD, AG5DB, KM6MHZ and 5 others like this.
  8. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still skeptical Scott, but I did like the way you present your argument. And I respect that you are trying to pay forward what was given to you. I just keep coming back to this. Even though you overload their brain with a lot of information, I think of all the background they still have zero concept of.

There is a Search And Rescue operation I am somewhat familiar with. They encourage ALL members to get licensed. They care NOTHING about ham radio. It is a tool. Period. They are not hams. The only thing they are is legal. Let them use GMRS instead. We don't need everybody to be a ham. We just don't.

N0YPD likes this.
  9. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Glenn, et. al.,

Yes, I know of some groups where they strongly recommend getting licensed.

However, I also know that, for those not truly interested, passing does not come easily.

You say that "we don't need everybody to be a ham." I agree, but I also believe that for the most part, it's not an issue. Hams are about 0.25% of the US population, and I think we all know numerous hams who are completely inactive, with a bunch of uncharged HTs in the drawer.

I emphasize to everyone in my classes that I don't really care why they're there. The key is that they are there to learn and I'm going to get them to a point where they can actually "do a little" and ask a lot of questions so that they can "do more." Without a basic knowledge platform, they won't even know HOW to ask questions, and any answers surely wouldn't make sense anyway.

For example, someone sees my mobile HF antenna..."So, how far can you talk with that thing?"

"I can't answer that question. Sometimes 20,000 miles, but sometimes only 200 miles. It depends."

It would take an hour to answer completely. Make it three people, though, and that's a class.

In both ham radio and engineering, education provides a basic foundation for being able to acquire practical knowledge. Doing allows for acquisition of practical knowledge.

I believe in giving people the tools to understand the world around them so that they can ask good questions. Ham radio is great for that.

The purposes for ham radio, listed in Part 97, are varied. It doesn't matter which ones draw someone into ham radio. If someone gets into ham radio for EM COMM, that's totally valid - see (a) below. If they train with ARES/RACES, that's great, but there's still a lot they could do to expand their horizons. One would hope that the licensee would want to continue to make him/herself more useful by experiencing more.

When I was 15, I didn't care about (a). I was into (d) and (e). Now, aged 48, in Oregon in the shadow of Cascadia and a possible 9.0 earthquake, I focus on (a), too!

I've known hams who became involved because of (a), but over time developed a keen interest in (b), (c), (d), and (e) as well.

I've also known hams who got a license, stuck a radio in the drawer, let the batteries die, and never did anything else. I caution my students against ever letting that happen.

Thanks!

Scott N7JI

From FCC Part 97:

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

AC7DD, KM6MHZ and KF0G like this.
  10. KE8AQW

KE8AQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know Dan and I think his books do a good job. My university club would try and do one of these single day self study/testing events once a semester because it helps to retain student members if they get their license. There are tons of other student orgs that they participate in so it's really hard to get them to commit to a multiweek course. It's much easier for them to commit to a one day session. Then through normal club meetings and events, we teach them how to operate the club equipment and get them on the air such as field day (if they are around), Hellschreiber contests, and other outdoor operating events, etc. I personally passed the tests by studying from the ARRL license manuals for tech and general, and after passing my general in the morning, I crammed for the extra. Granted it did help that I was studying electrical engineering, and had familiarity to many of the technical topics. Just because they don't learn everything when they get a license doesn't mean they won't learn it later.

AC7DD and KC5HWB like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does KB6NU sell a Tech quicky book or not?

Answer ..YES.

Does he pursue a profit from that enterprise?...YES.

So...is that HYPE OR HOPE.... Or profit?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    KY5U likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many other excellent alternatives, that are FREE and one example is on

www.n1ir.com

I have NO affiliation with Chris's site.

KF0G likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The proof in the pudding is not how many Techs are spit out via someone who sells study guides, but how many of those TECHS USE THE PRiVILEGES they are granted.

Does KB6NU --FOLLOW UP-- with the student's he 'teaches'? What percent have been on the air for a total of, say, 5 HOUR or more? Total?

Again, is the incentive here to get hams that IMPLEMENT Part 97, Or is the incentive to SELL STUDY GUIDES? IMO it is NOT the first.

WB6NOA, Gordo, does a terrific job of helping new hams. Can others all say the same? IMO, No.

KY5U likes this.
  14. W4CHE

W4CHE Ham Member QRZ Page

As a relatively new ham, let me apologize for passing the test by studying on my own, I'm sure this did not meet someones standards of excellence. FWIW I did not need to study much as it is really not that complex., but I would never put down what works for someone else, their license is the same as mine. (or was at first)

Then to buy and actually use a Boafeng occasionally......absurd. As far as I am concerned there is a place for my $1000 2m rig and the $35 one.

Reading some of these comments (an observing the general negative tone of QRZ forums of late) brings to light a bigger issue with ham radio. There are too many whom are quick to judge and slow to help. Try being a little more considerate on the air and in your general conduct on the air, online and in your daily life.

KI7MDI, AC7DD, KM6MHZ and 2 others like this.
  15. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only way to find out is to ask. You can be part of the solution, or not. Your choice. You can always come here and bitch about it if you like.

KM6MHZ and KD9ARD like this.