ad: Retevis-1

HR2.0: Episode 97 - How To Teach a 1-Day Technician Class, by KB6NU (Dayton Hamvention)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

If a 9-year old studies for and earns a license, are you saying that there's really no point, because he/she will never have anything to contribute to the advancement of the radio art?

I challenge every person who got their license as a teenager (or later, for that matter) to reflect upon whether they were concerned with the "advancement of the radio art," or the other reasons for ham radio to exist, on the day they made a decision to get licensed.

I wanted to learn about electronics and talk to other people. So do people in my classes.

If you advance the radio art, good for you, and good for all of us. That's one purpose. Not everyone will advance the radio art. Not everyone has to.

It doesn't matter how new hams get here. It matters whether we take the time to engage with them and participate in making a difference as well as continued growth.

Scott N7JI

NT5TM, W6NYA and K7JEM like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

...also people told to get ham licenses so they can get free email service on their sailboat and/or RV instead of paying for it. The ARRL is becoming infested with them.

3. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I took kb6nu's one day class a few years back I am now a general and learning CW. His course is good his books are good unlike the arrl books that go way overboard or teach material thats antiquated to say the least....Dan is at least fostering the enjoyment of the hobby to others and points people in the right direction, even hands out CDs for people on CW.

I just dont understand all the negative attitudes....you dont like new hams thats fine.....help them.

At the end of the day I know more general's and extra's that dont know jack just as much as I know techs that need help. Be part of the help not the problem....where are the elmers?

I am seeing more and more the OM/OT giving crap to people about being a lid or being hard on new hams...to them I have one question....Did you know everything about radio when you started?

I learn everyday and enjoy tips and tricks from other hams but I will note that most either dont know or dont answer questions. A lot of the posters here would more than likely turn people off to the hobby.....thats a shame....

Have fun with it.

N8DAH

P.s. dont like it teach your own class its not as easy as some of you make it sound.

W6NYA, KE4VFL, KD9ARD and 2 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is important for you to articulate exactly who these comments are addressed to.

Please elaborate.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No I don't agree. He teaches the class to get people interested in Ham Radio. He gives the study guides away for free in PDF format. He sells books, the same way every other study guide is sold, from various sources, but his goal is to train people in Amateur Radio. If you watched the video, you'd know this.

How is badgering other people's perspective and insulting their method, as you are doing now, enhancing the Amateur Radio art?

KM6MHZ, W6NYA, K7JEM and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

From the video in the OP...

Q: What do you do when you've created all those Techs?

KB6NU ANSWER : "To be honest this is where I haven't done so well"

This is after years and years of using this approach....

7. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see a lot of generalization here.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't begin to tell you, as my comments have nothing to do with your pejoriative assessment.

9. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Part 97 dictates that the purpose of its rules and regulations are to create a service having the following fundamentals (shortened) from 97.1:

-Recognition of the value of the service as voluntary, non commercial and recognition of its value with respect to providing emergency communication.

-Continuation and advancement of the radio art.

-Encouragement to advance skills.

-Expansion of the existing reservoir of trained operators.

-Enhancement of international goodwill.

Those are the purposes of the service. They are not requirements for individual operators or stations. Those requirements start at 97.7.

KC5HWB likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. But its people that do things, not a 'service'. So let's look at examples of the people.

So, as I asked, let's look at Point 1 (above): take ALL the Techs taught in KB6NU's classes and with his methods. Can you kindly give us examples where said Part 97 licencees have produced a ...

'continuation and advancement of the radio art'.

?

That means using Part 97 to 'make radio better technically'. Note that its says RADIO not AMATEUR RADIO (exclusively).

Can we get tangible examples where KB6NU has espoused 'continuation and advancement of the radio art?' Perhaps this is one of the shortfallings he humbly recognizes in the video?

To be fair, this point is a major problem for a vast majority of US hams and not exclusively KB6NU. But KB6NU is a WRITER, so it would be interesting to quote examples where he has 'called out' such advances (for example), presumably as a positive case for meeting Point 1.

11. K8MHZ

FWIW,
    Chip, there is no requirement that the licensees produce a continuation or advancement of the radio art. You are confusing the reason behind the existence of the service with the requirements of the operators.

Also, why are you stuck on that part of it? Emcomm is in there too. FWIW, I have done EVERY single aspect of the purpose of the service.

Have you? I know you are shining example of advancing radio art, and you deserve kudos for that. But what about emcomm? Have you done any of it, trained for any of it or taught any of it?

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong. It most certainly is the obligation of licensees. Read your own words. Individuals are obligated to make best efforts in this regard.

The points are not joined by 'AND'.

If you aren't doing SOMETHING related to the mission, you have FAILED in your obligation as a holder of a LICENSE whose PRIVILEGES have been granted to execute the MISSION of Part 97.

Why don't you get this?

"Expansion of the existing reservoir of trained operators". Well, that's what this quicky approach is about: EXPANSION. But is the training offered SUFFICENT?

13. K8MHZ

You may feel that way, but the rules don't read it that way. Where does we must do SOMETHING related to the mission. If we must to one, we must do all, as there is no 'or' between the list of purposes.

I chose to do something related to ALL of them. I asked if you did or not, you have not answered me.

The only obligations of operators or stations start at 97.7. Why don't YOU get that?

Edit: Station requirements start at 97.5, operator requirements start at 97.7.

K7JEM likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark,

I have gone through Part 97 at length, with 3 lawyers, over the last few years. Why? Because other 'services' want our frequencies. I am often asked to comment informally,because of my contact with folks who do not understand why the ARS Part 97 exists.

I am sorry you are incorrect on this. The bottom line is if you have a US ham license, you are obligated to execute the mission, in whatever form or forms you as an individual are capable of meeting. It is not a hobby.

Chip W1YW

15. K8MHZ

Chip,

The book says the purpose of the rules and regs are to provide a service with certain characteristics. If the purpose is not meant, that would be a flaw in the rules and regs. Part 97 is not the only rule book with purpose and scope in the beginning before the requirements are laid forth. Take a look at the NEC for instance. It is set up the same way.