HOA antenna Petition to the US Congress

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W7HU, Dec 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You would sure think so, but that wasn't the case. They just gave a timeframe for compliance. Attorneys said it was legal. It actually led me and my dad to run for the HOA Board, and we fixed all of it.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.
    This myth seems pretty common here. I’ve read some anecdotal ‘I knew this guy who….” stories but that doesn’t make them true

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I can't understand what instigated the ADS (Antenna Derangement Syndrome) that currently prevails with HOAs and zoning laws in the first place. People, even those living in subdivision developments used to put up outdoor radio and TV antennas all the time, and no-one thought anything about it because it was perfectly normal. Then, all of a sudden, it becomes the nationwide norm (in the so-called Land of the Free) that it's forbidden to put up any kind of outdoor antenna on one's own property. Yes, I can understand the opposition to some ham who lives on a postage-stamp size city lot and wants to put up a 70 ft tower with tri-band beam, or the guy who strings so many dipoles all around his house that it grabs attention and looks like a spider web, but I can't see why it would be any else's business or concern over a simple piece of wire strung between a couple of trees on someone's property, or an inconspicuous vertical mast in the back yard.

4. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are thinking like a reasonable person. This is no longer allowed. I guess you missed the memo? ;)

The anti-antenna business started when CATV systems became commonplace in most neighborhoods. I remember when cable hit our neighborhood in the late 1970's. It was all the rage. The neighbors started taking down their antennas. We kept ours because my Dad wasn't the type to pay for cable TV.

I've been "pay tv free" since 2007. People look at me like I have a third eye in my forehead when I tell them I don't have satellite and get all of my television reception OTA. I've had several people say to me "I didn't know you could still get TV with an antenna". :rolleyes:

K3UJ likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding grandfathering...in the state of Colorado ...HOAs don't have to grandfather anything in their charter document. That charter document can be modified with a quorum vote of residents. Most HOAs require a 2/3 or 3/4 of resident approval to modify a charter document. I know that from living in an HOA community for 24 years and on the HOA board for 3 years. This was during the time that Colorado was rewriting their State Laws governing HOAs. The state was attempting to make HOAs resident friendly. They did make finances more transparent but in many areas the HOAs are still untamed. They can still place a limit on the number of flower pots on your front porch or ban flagpoles.....flags may be displayed on a short building mounted flag staff but not a free standing pole in most Colorado HOA communities. I've always attributed the flagpole ban to the so called stealth flagpole antenna!

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of the restrictions and regulations are insidious because "they can be" and there's no authority to stop it.

For me, best way is to vote with my wallet and just never buy into one. Plenty of others will.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't it hilarious there are people who refuse to take a free vaccine because "nobody's gonna tell me what to do!" and "my body, my choice..." and then they live in homes where there are dozens of regulations telling them exactly what they can and cannot do with their homes and properties, and most of those regulations have nothing to do with the government or safety. They're just rules for the sake of rules.

But they live under them while declaring "nobody's gonna tell me what to do.":)

KA3CNC, K4KYV, K6CLS and 1 other person like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

We really need to get past the thought that one owns a home. Very few do or are left that did. Once you understand what Allodial title is you can break from the misleading idea of ownership. You really are caught in the feudal system where your ownership is subject to a lord and in this case its local government. Hence eminent domain. Your in fact just a higher class of renter and subject to your lord and his wishes.
    Ownership is a fairy tale to keep the population in check. You don't even own your car. Original titles are the manufacturers certificate of origin. You never even see them anymore they go direct to the state and they give you a usury title.

Not knowing this is thinking like a slave. Amazing how many do though and will fight like hell to disprove a truth.
    Can you imagine peoples attitudes towards their masters if they did?

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

‘truth is stranger than fiction’ exemplified-

Virtually everyone lives by/under rules, most of which are not entered into voluntarily. Yet somehow it’s the voluntarily entered into HOA rules which some respond to with catatonic stupor.

And ironically and almost inevitably, it’s the ones who don’t live in an HOA complaining the most.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Nevertheless, we endure pissweakers who answer our CQ, or break into our QSO, and then explain that they don't have a better signal because the HOA won't let them put up a decent antenna.