ad: MLSons-1

Ham Radio - The ABBREE VHF UHF "tactical" antenna.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 26, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

it does!
    i never had a big one as a kid, just the little ones. we'd take them to the beach. maybe things were more...primitive then, no super-sizing of anything. the kennedy years.

UT7UX and W1YW like this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That doesn’t even bother me. Everybody has to eat. It is the disingenuous shilling they engage in……

As in, I do YT because I want to help people and grow the hobby, but please let me tell you how great this piece of equipment I got for free is and by the way please give me a like, sub, super chat and join my patreon….:rolleyes:

KL7KN, KQ1V, W4FJT and 1 other person like this.
  3. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

I never thought much of this antenna... looking at various reviews... but your use of the Nano VNA makes me think this is a piece of JUNK of 2 meters! - The proof is in the puuding, they say, but this pudding stinks pretty bad! :)

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see that at all. The antenna appears to be an end fed dipole that works at 2m and 70 cm. The SWR is under 2:1. The antenna likely starts to break into lobes at 145+ MHz so any advantage is likely best acheived at an angular tilt. I suspect it has a bit of gain at 70cm as well.

The problem here is not the 'data taking' but understanding what the data means. For example, the antenna is resonant at 120+ Megs, not at 2M. But so what? Less than 1/2 dB mismatch loss? Why is that posed as a deficiency? Next, we definitely see a good SINR when tilted. And advantage ignored.

Hams should exwrcise great care in understanding the terrific new advantages afforded by pocket VNA's and the like. IMO we need to understand not only how to use them, but what the data means before we jump to conclusions.

The antenna is $13. There lies the deciding point whether this antenna is worth it for your use.

KA0USE likes this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Meh, to me, it looks like it is an 18" 2m quarter wave... made to look like the 'folder over' antenna from a AN/PRC-25 / -77. Also, it looks to me it is marketed for the prepper/whacker lot. I've never had any problems with a stock-standard Motorola antennae. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. caveat emptor. Just my two cents.

KE0GXN likes this.
  6. KQ1V

Isn't technology a wonderful thing?

7. KF0FBK

KF0FBK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Umm... SNR works just fine. SINAD for the discriminating radio aficionado.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up SINR.

No one uses SNR anymore. Nearly all terrestrial environments now have noise floors from interference. Hence SINR. Its use is standard of practice.

Learn to love: 'SINR'

9. KQ1V

Well, don't you know who you are challenging?! A master inventor, how does one know... he will tell you!

KF0FBK likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No,

it's Master Inventor.

Get the title correct. If you don't LIKE it...tough.

11. KQ1V

You are a very droll, little man. As we say in Yiddish, a putz.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am what I am . Facts are facts.

If you don't like the fact that I attained the title of Master Inventor, it is irrelevant to me.

Personally, the recognition was sixty years in the making. I am proud of that and don't care what your opinion is on it. In fact, perhaps I should sign off in the future with said moniker as a great example for other radio amateurs. They should know, for example, that at least one of of their members encourages others to invent and seek knowledge--accurately. Here's a good example:

Why Mobile Phones Can Do So Many Things: The Invention of The Fractal Antenna - IEEE-USA InSight (ieeeusa.org)

I like this line, BTW: "As one measure of fractal antennas’ importance, IEEE has published more than 2,100 papers on them."

Your "little man" has BIG impact!

Fact. Not brag.

In the next two weeks there will be an announcemnet about a major new invention, and issued patent.

Fact. Not brag.

Your distaste for people who are learned and have a lifelong work ethic is obvious, IMO. Many others do not share your opinion and are grateful that individuals such as myself are accessible in a public forum. With comments like yours, it is obvious why many avoid hams like the plague.

Cordially,

W1YW
    Master Inventor

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  13. KQ1V

Congratulations on your accolades, and I mean that sincerely as you have earned them. I just think you’re a bit condescending and arrogant when you post in a hobby forum. This isn’t a lecture hall, and you are not the professor here. Others see it as well.

Hobby, something that is supposed to bring enjoyment to a person.

Fact.

WN1MB and KF0FBK like this.
  14. K7BEN

K7BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to buy one of those scary assault radios.

WS9K and KV6O like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This antenna system is not an electrical quarter wave at 145 MHZ.

There is no basis to make that statement.

Chip W1YW
    Master Inventor

KC7JNJ and UT7UX like this.