ad: Flexradio-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can count on Charlie to come back with ad hominem. Perhaps you should discuss the issue rather than attack the person if you want to be taken seriously.

Morse code testing is hazing, in my opinion, because it is a meaningless task. I has nothing to do with fulfilling the basis and purpose of Amateur radio as defined by the FCC. It is a skill useful only to those that feel the need or desire to use CW by hand.

Whether or not one calls the Morse code testing difficult or humiliating depends on the person. It would seem much less subjective about the need to test on Morse code if one focuses on how meaningful the testing is today. The FCC is testing for radio operators, experimenters, and communicators. The FCC is not testing for telegraphers. Morse code is just one option among many to communicate. Note that word, "option". An Amateur is not required to make use of the skill they have learned, therefore the testing should be either optional or non-existent.

Using Morse code testing to determine "gumption" is making the testing difficult for the sake of making the testing difficult. In my mind that is the definition of hazing.

I agree that gumption is an admirable quality. There are many ways to test for gumption that would be more applicable to the privileges granted by an Amateur radio license.

I also agree that Morse code is a tradition among Amateurs. I just think that a tradition that needs the support of law to continue is not much of a tradition. I also think that the argument of tradition is insufficient to make or keep a law. There are many laws that were "traditional" that I am glad were abolished despite the tradition behind them.

Explain to me how Morse code testing is not hazing.

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said earlier, present a measurable testing alternative that demonstrates a skill related to radio communications. It could be a digital radio related communications skill, like a measurable 30 wpm typing test. Maybe then the "old farts" will begin to take this whole issue more seriously.

Personally, I refuse to give into the notion that amateur radio licenses should be granted to those who have the possibility to memorize minimal tests without understanding or comprehension. Remember, our written tests are public knowledge and printed.

Just how easy to you want it to be? Our technical U.S. vocations and avocations should still require skills gained through measurable and demonstrated achievement - skills and comprehension exams that aren't public knowlege.

While our Nation's kids (and adults) fall behind the much of world in math and science scores, we still continue to expect less and less of them. Over the last decade or so, the reduction of ham radio licensure requirements is just another example of our Nation's liberal atitude towards education and all things technical.

This idea of me, me, me - I deserve it - without being measured against a standard, without having to work for it, is going to kill this country. It's already happening. I see it everyday within the telecommunications industry I work. The H1B visa program is supposedly filling the technical expertise void that American workers cannot fill. Case in point, over three quarters of the engineers at the last cellular company I worked for were from Asia or Eastern Europe.

If we give away our higher class licenses, without requiring kids and adults to actually demonstrate skills and comprehension, what are the licenses really worth? Will those who memorize major portions of exam pools, while studying little for comprehension, actually value their licenses the same as those work really worked or studied hard for licenses?

I've laid out my standards criterion. What is your plan for our license structure, besides the elimination of ham radio's last demonstrated skills exam? Do you have one? Come on, what is it? I dare you to lay out your responsible plan.

3. W5CMP

W5CMP Guest

WHATS THE BIG DEAL YOUR NOT LOSING YOUR TICKET,WHEN WE DIE ITS STILL GOING TO BE HERE, THE HOLE POINT IS TO KEEP IT GOING.I DONT CARE ONE WAY OR A NOTHER IF IT CHANGES CODE OR NO CODE,WHAT DOES IT MATTER ITS JUST SOMETHING TO BITCH ABOUT JUST INJOY IT,NO SINCE GIVING YOUR SELF A HARTATACK OVER IT THINGS CHANGE THE EARTH MOVES FORWARD NOT BACKWARDS...ITS APPLIANCE  OPERATERS NOW ALL THE GOOD STUFF IS IN THE PASS,THE KITS ARE GONE, DO IT YOUR SELF IS GONE,BUY IT PLUG IT IN AND TALK,I DONT THINK CW IS SO MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT,NOW THE TECHNOLOGY IS MESSING IT UP.BIG RADIOS BIG AMPS AND A CHEAP ANTENNA.............

4. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

nl7w-Bill,

The reason you haven't passed the simplistic 5 wpm Morse requirement is directly attributable to your attitude and the way you continue to view the requirement as, in your words, "trash". That's your problem...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------well sir you could Be Right it could Be , Because I could not care less about the code ,But I am trying to get the krap anyway or enought to get to hf, then it is out of here I dont wont to see anything around here with code on it ,after I pass the test ,But if you like it that,s good I am ok with that, just enjoy it and let me enjoy the things I like and we will Be fine ,73 Bill

5. kd4mxe

nl7w-Like I said earlier, present a measurable testing alternative that demonstrates a skill related to radio communications. It could be a digital radio related communications skill, like a measurable 30 wpm typing test. Maybe then the "old farts" will begin to take this whole issue more seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------so I guess electronic,s is not a skill I have Been in communications electronic,s since 1965 and I have Built ever antenna from 440mhz to 160 mt tunner,s for these Band s plus the marine Band to , But I dont know the worthless code so I cant get on hf , with the communication we have to day to have to take a code test is a bunch of krap , But I am going to get the code But I will still Be to get Rid of it as a Requierment , that,s all ,73 Bill

6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Bill. Present a equally measurable skills alternative.

7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe getting a "General" license just isn't meant to be, Bill.

Despite your claimed long history and experience, just how do we equally and fairly compare your skills and comprehension to others, Bill? What is your suggested "equal and fair for everyone" skills test replacement for the Morse code element?

What are your thoughts for a measurable and fair skills replacement? The Internet and computers have added a whole new dimension to radio-electronics and the telecommunications world, so why not a basic typing test? What are your replacement thoughts, Bill?

Otherwise, stop it with the "I deserve it because..." routine - I've heard it from so many people and it's really old.

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe your premise to be false. There does not need to be a test for any skill that cannot be tested by a written test. The ability to speak should be a sufficient skill to communicate by a radio. Those that lack that skill can make up for it in whatever means they feel best suits their needs. There is no need to test for those skills.

I do realize that the question pools are public knowledge. Closing the question pool is not the solution. Making the question pool a comprehensive as needed is the solution. If you need to know it then it should be tested. Trying to close the question pools will be a Sisyphean task. People will simply take the tests and memorize the questions and answers, like they did before the question pools were opened. All federal testing has open question pools because of the fact that securing the questions is impossible and pointless.

I don't want the test to be "easy". I want it to be "relevant". If "relevant" equates to "easy" in your mind then so be it. RF concepts, electronic theory, and FCC regulations are not difficult subjects for many high school educated people. I'm not going to buy into the idea that the tests need to be difficult for the sake of difficulty.

How does Morse code testing fit into this? Learning Morse code will not help with mathematical comprehension. Morse code testing does not prove scientific aptitude.

We are not giving away licenses. One must still pass a written test to get a license. If the written tests do not cover enough material then the tests need to be improved.

I like the Canadian testing and license structure. I think we will get something similar soon enough. In the end I think the FCC is doing well enough for now.

9. kd4mxe

10. kd4mxe

nl7w-Like I said earlier, present a measurable testing alternative that demonstrates a skill related to radio communications. It could be a digital radio related communications skill, like a measurable 30 wpm typing test. Maybe then the "old farts" will begin to take this whole issue more seriously. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------o yea I know if you cant Burn them one way you would do it anouther way , it,s not hard to see your point ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------
    What are your thoughts for a measurable and fair skills replacement? The Internet and computers have added a whole new dimension to radio-electronics and the telecommunications world, so why not a basic typing test? What are your replacement thoughts, Bill?------------------------------------------------------------------------------well sir as long as the test gives you the Rules and you have knowage of how a Radio works and how to set up your station , you old timers should Be willing to help them a little Bit once they are on the air, very few of the old timers today will help you , it,s not like it use to Be , that has changed now, the fcc has changed a few things and the old timers just complain now about the test Being to easy ,they should Be helping the one,s comeing in ,and I will not say what it should Be Because I do not make the Rules,it,s not for me to say ,it would not do me any good to say thats the fcc,s job ,I know when I get in I will not complain I will help others if I can ,73 Bill

11. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

mxe- If you spent half the energy practicing the code as you spent in this one single thread, you would have been done long ago.

12. kd4mxe

nl7w-Maybe getting a "General" license just isn't meant to be, Bill.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------

( well you may Be Right I am still trying But have not got the code yet, and I am to deep to stop now so I will keep trying to get it and as long as I live I will try to get Rid of it as a Requirement to hf ,with all the time I have wasted trying to learn the code I could have learned more about electronic,s something that would have done me some good ,But I know you hardliners dont see it that way,you had to do it everyone else has got to do it we will see what the fcc dose , we will live with it eather way I know the fcc has said the way I hope it will go----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------nl7w-Otherwise, stop it with the "I deserve it because..." routine - I'v Heard it from so many people and it's really old.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------( where did you see that I said I deserve it because ,have not said that ,) 73 Bill

13. kd4mxe

ab8ma-mxe- If you spent half the energy practicing the code as you spent in this one single thread, you would have been done long ago.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------(o yes I am sure you are another one that thinks you know everything to ,)73Bill [​IMG]

14. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do try to hide it, but my perfection keeps shining through my magic cloak. Bummer. [​IMG]

15. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it appears that the FCC wants to look in to the phone companies that supposedly gave data to the NSA.

I revise my prediction of this not being decided from 5 years to 5 years one month as they will take at least a month bothering the telcos before going back to business as usual.

I'm figuring on having at least a year to find another job, or for this job to get better hours, then I'll have 4 years to learn code and test before it goes away.

Thats my prediction for this whole episode. By the time they actually get around to it in 5 years, we'll have likely had another 100 topics on this issue hit 100+ pages of debate [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.