ad: Schulman-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

ab8ma-so you are the Bummer ,ok sir good for you keep up the good work , [​IMG]  73 Bill [​IMG]

2. kd4mxe

kd6nig- sir you just may Be Right on that ,hope to Be on it before that time , 73 good luck Bill

3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

The United States of America is NOT Canada.

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure of what you are trying to say. I know this is not Canada. You asked for my plan on Amateur radio licensing and testing. I'm saying we should emulate Canada's Amateur radio licensing and testing structure.

One thing I think I should point out is that I doubt the Morse code tests will be eliminated. It looks like the FCC may still honor the Morse code credit for HF access to Technicians. They will also have to recognize Morse code credit for reciprocal licensing agreements with countries that still require demonstrated Morse code knowledge.

Once this proposal goes through I will be quite satisfied with the FCC license structure. I just think that 1500 watt transmitter privileges is a bit much for an entry level license. It looks like the ARRL is already working on fixing that. One thing I don't like is they are proposing a shorter test for that license.

5. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse code tests can be eliminated while still honoring morse code testing for reciprocal licensing.

The only drawback is that you might have to take a morse test in another country if you haven't taken a test before it was eliminated in case you want to operate on hf in a country that still demands morse code testing for hf access.

Luckely HAREC makes this posible, you can take a test in any country and get the apropraite certivicate.

On our licence we get a note when you have passed the morse test in the past or done it in another country. (morse included) it only effects opperating abroard and has no effect inside the country.

6. kd4mxe

kc0lxk-One thing I think I should point out is that I doubt the Morse code tests will be eliminated. It looks like the FCC may still honor the Morse code credit for HF access to Technicians-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------( this would Be fine and well with me no problem for me , But these hams that think you got to take the code test Because he had to take the code test , well the Hate will go on for the nct,s,, I think they should place the code just like any other mode, when you take a written test and pass you pick the mode you wont to use, But if they keep any part of the code the hate will go on for years, But the nct,s have lived with it in years pasted so I guess they can live with it a few more years,) 73 Bill

7. kd4mxe

pe1rdw-On our licence we get a note when you have passed the morse test in the past or done it in another country. (morse included) it only effects opperating abroard and has no effect inside the country-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --sir how is the Hate problem in your country do the one,s that pasted the code slure the ones that have not , you know like it is here in the good old u s of a some of these hams here if you did not do what they did you are dirt to them do you have this kind of attitude where you live , 73 Bill

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems from the comments on RM 05-235 that 55% of amateurs disagree. This was a comment process that welcomed comments from pets, children, dead uncles, and wives of the NCTs who responded that the test should be abolished. CQ's recent poll showed about 60% of Amateurs favored retention of the test for various reasons. In fact, the biggest opponents to testing on QRZ have been NCTs and a foreigner.

During the course of discussion of this topic, I have illustrated how many of the no-code arguments are outdated, baseless, and illogical. Your "hazing" accusation is the easiest of them all to refute. I think it is clear that the test is meaningless to you and this is relative to your position as a NCT.

I suggest if the code test offends you, you take up knitting, shopping, or tiddly-winks. We won't miss the whiners one bit.

9. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

With an attitude like that, you are one of the haters. Oh, and BTW, the SECOND the FCC allocates all of that spectrum azround 700 Mhz to interoperable emergency communications, Hams, will NOT BE WANTED anywhere near disaster areas.  We will then have to present a UNITED FRONT to keep ANY Amateur spectrum. We are HOBBYISTS, the PROFESSIONALS (Police, Fire, EMS) will have their own radios and spectrum. Yeah, the code test will remain, but you FISTS types will wish you didn't tick off the NCTs when the FCC tells you in a few years "Sorry, no more ham radio, why don't you guys get some wire and some insulators and put up a landline" The NCTs will just buy a GMRS license and use MURS and do pretty much as they do now. without the CWWhining. Oh, and there were many multiple comments on that RM by both sides. Unfortunately, the R&O will call for the retention of the code test and will become, undoubtedly the death certificate of Ham Radio.

10. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill Bill Bill. Sorry I bummer you. I was attempting good natured humor.

11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

It never fails. I comment about a particularly whiney Tech and you guys are standing in line to fall on your swords. Don't take the cyanide pill yet. Maybe you can help me with something.

I just have a hard time understanding how admitting a subset of Technician Licensees to HF who are not motivated enough to pass a 5wpm code test is going to save amateur radio. Explain it to me. If you were going to do great things for Amateur Radio, what SPECIFICALLY about admission to HF will be the magic trigger to turn you into a savior of Hamkind. Couldn't you do great things NOW?

The majority of NCTs will upgrade when they're ready. They'll study and pass the test. There will be no pretense of saving the hobby, or lamenting the death of Amateur Radio because THEY weren't able to shoot skip for a few months/years. They don't deserve to be lumped in with the whiners. They will earn respect.

12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

You've forgotten to mention the new 50 MHz wide, 4.9 GHZ public safety band...

As a consultant to the public safety industry on a part-time basis, our Nation's first responders will eventually have a myriad of options available to them for interoperable communications.  But, this interoperability will take a generation to come about, due to the organizational barriers that exist today.  RF and IT technology is not the issue today, it is people -- especially management and the government's funding of this endeavor (again politics and management).

Ham Radio's disaster response capabilities are not its old and reliable technology; it's the usually older, wiser, and trained operators that make up this disaster responding corp.

Oh, I like ham radio the way it is.  With the exception of the communicators' license, i.e. getting young kids interested in technical endeavors, HF access and testing procedures should remain or get more difficult for the higher class licenses.  Getting rid of the last demonstrated skills requirement for the higher class licenses won't help anything.

14. kd4mxe

ab8ma-Bill Bill Bill. Sorry I bummer you. I was attempting good natured humor-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------ok sir I am sorry you Bummered me to , But that,s ok I have Been Bummered Before , But when I get on hf and point my Beam up your way it,s my time to Bummer you with a s-40 on your s-meter , you take care got to go it,s time to get Back to the code stuff , 73 Bill

15. kd4mxe

nl7w-Oh, I like ham radio the way it is. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -(I dont think there is anybody out there that dont see this,I believe you would make it so hard no one could get in )-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------nl7w-, HF access and testing procedures should remain or get more difficult for the higher class licenses. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (yes I see it,s not hard enought for you)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----nl7w- Getting rid of the last demonstrated skills requirement for the higher class licenses won't help anything.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------stuff knower what is a skill that you dont ever plan on useing , come on and admit it you just wont it to Be hard for others ,73 Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.