ad: CQMM-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

Actually the Ruskys have FAR more oil than Alaska and the Lower-48 combined -- they don't need it. I'll qualify this. I've worked Alaska's oil patch for years, and am presently working as a contractor for APSC and the trans-Alaska pipeline -- where the west coast gets a good portion of its oil. I keep up on worldwide industry happenings...

You have a sad and distorted view of Alaska, Bud. We just don't need Alaska's secrets to get out, so I won't give specifics. But given the fact that I only work have the year, and get paid close to 6 figs, I'm happy. I've the time to enjoy the unparalleled quality of life here, with the wife and kids. Unless you're retired, can you say that?

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

Actually the Ruskys have FAR more oil than Alaska and the Lower-48 combined -- they don't need it. I'll qualify this. I've worked Alaska's oil patch for years, and am presently working as a contractor for APSC and the trans-Alaska pipeline -- where the west coast gets a good portion of its oil. I keep up on worldwide industry happenings...

You have a sad and distorted view of Alaska, Bud. We just don't need Alaska's secrets to get out, so I won't give specifics. But given the fact that I only work half the year, and get paid close to 6 figs, I'm happy. I've the time to enjoy the unparalleled quality of life here, with the wife and kids. Unless you're retired, can you say that?

3. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

nl7w-So, if you feel guilty by association, it's not my fault. I did not initiate the link... look inward, Bill.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------sir what should I feel guilty about ,I have never called you a name of no kind ,I have never tried to make things harder for you and never will ,if any one is guilty of anything it would have to Be you not me , if you know someone you dont like make it Hard for them ,dont make it any harder for me ,its hard enought as is , But it dont matter anyway the fcc makes the Rules we go By and you and I will live with it , where we like it or not , I am just with the fcc all the way on this one---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are you talking about my death? I am a Christian, am young, and have half of my career and life ahead of me, I suppose. I do not fear death-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------well sir all I said was if you wont to keep calling people names like you was calling the nct,s that you would get a gold star when you die , first of all a christian dose not call other people names or make life hard for others christian ,s help others any way they can , and that should Be your gold to do that ,I know I try to do that , look at my first post how you talked about my post the way I wrote it you sounded petter Bad to me and you did not even know me , or what I had gone thru in my life , you know the Bible says do unto others as you would have them do to you , I hope you are a christian , I am trying to walk that life to ,73 Bill

4. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Go to this link for FCC meeting schedule and agenda items

http://www.fcc.gov/fccmeetings.html

I also went to:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/organization/public.html

and sent an question about when we can expect a R&O on 05-235 to the Dividion Chief and I got a next day response.

Mr. von Gortler,
    We received almost 4,000 comments in that proceeding (including yours), so it took longer than usual to review the record.  It's a priority project for the Division, and we're actively working on it, but I can't estimate yet when the item will be released.

Scot Stone
    Deputy Chief
    Public Safety and Critical Infrastructure Division Wireless Telecommunications Bureau

fred.vongortler's question:

The FCC notice of proposed rule making relating to Element 1 testing in the Amateur Radio Service is over a year old.

When may we expect a R&O on the issue?

Frederick C von Gortler IV
    KD5NCO

5. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I predict that the FCC will drop the whole idea.

6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill,

Prove your mettle through the passage of a rudimentary skill, 5 wpm Morse code. I passed it after two days of studying ARRL Morse code cassette tapes at 15 in 1981. It really wasn’t or isn't that difficult.

You've said you missed the last code exam by one question, by misspelling the state I grew up in, Wisconsin. I suggest not giving up and going back ASAP.

You'll feel much better about yourself if you pass it now rather than being handed a license when the requirement is dropped.

Study hard and join us! Anything worth a salt requires some blood, sweat, and tears in life. Just approach the General and Extra licenses as challenges. I did. I passed my Novice at 15 years of age, and then my General, Advanced, and Extra by the time I was 18. It was something I had to prove to myself, as well as to others. As a matter of fact, electronics and telecommunications became my life's work, and ham radio was the impetus.

The NST comment wasn’t directed towards you, Bill. It was meant to infer the current no-code test doesn’t require much, if any, skill to pass. It’s a beginner’s license – a start point where one can begin to follow the many educational and social pathways within ham radio.

7. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a marathon on the "Longest" post!
    [​IMG]

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Using Morse code testing as a means to determine "gumption" is just federally mandated hazing. Morse code testing tells us nothing more than whether or not a person has become proficient with Morse code. Saying anything otherwise is just plain wrong.

If we need federal law to have "tradition" continue then it is not much of a tradition. If it is traditional for Amateurs to learn and use Morse code then we don't need the FCC to tell us that, that is the job of an elmer.

Whether or not Morse code is useful is irrelevant. If people find it useful they will learn and use Morse code regardless of the testing requirement. If they do not find use in Morse code then they have wasted time their time learning something they will never use. Oh, but I forgot that we weren't testing whether or not they could actually operate CW. We were testing for "gumption", weren't we?

9. N2MMM

I wouldn't worry about it, the Code Test will remain for General and Extra. The FCC wouldn't take this long to merely affirm the RM. The ARRL commented over two months ago that the process was taking a long time.

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Passage of the Morse code element is merely the demonstration of a skill -- nothing more, nothing less. I really wouldn't care if it becomes a 30 wpm typing test, as it is a measurable skill which requires gumption to pass. Gumption is an admirable quality. If you'd like to learn more about gumption, read Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig -- an excellent and rather intense read.

The definition of gumption is:

1. Boldness of enterprise; initiative or aggressiveness.
    2. Guts, spunk.

The definition of hazing is:

1. To persecute or harass with meaningless, difficult, or humiliating tasks.

Let's talk about Morse code being labeled as a hazing issue. Yes, Morse may be hard or difficult for some to master; it took me years to become good at it. As well, it takes time to keep my code skills sharp. Morse is a skill acquired and maintained through dedication and/or gumption. But, as far as Morse code being meaningless or humiliating, that is completely subjective and debatable.

Your use of hazing is an opinion. My use of gumption aptly describes the Morse code skill, and is far more applicable than this common excuse for not agreeing with, not passing, and the wanton removal of the licensing requirement.

BTW, traditions are a good thing, and Morse is certainly a tradition within ham radio. Moreover, the no-code tech is a beginner's license.

11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Call: KC0LXK Class: Technician

"Oh please, please, please, let the "hazing" stop so I can get in! Please please please.."

12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Passage of the Morse code element is merely the demonstration of a skill -- nothing more, nothing less. I really wouldn't care if it becomes a 30 wpm typing test, as it is a measurable skill, which requires gumption to pass. Gumption is an admirable quality. If you'd like to learn more about gumption, read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig -- an excellent and rather intense read.

The definition of gumption is:

1. Boldness of enterprise; initiative or aggressiveness.
    2. Guts, spunk.

The definition of hazing is:

1. To persecute or harass with meaningless, difficult, or humiliating tasks.

Let's talk about Morse code being labeled as a hazing issue. Yes, Morse may be hard or difficult for some to master; it took me years to become good at it. Morse is a skill acquired through dedication and/or gumption. But, as far as Morse code being meaningless or humiliating, that is completely subjective and debatable.

Your use of hazing is an opinion in regards to the Morse code element. My use of gumption aptly describes the acquisition of the Morse code skill, and is far more applicable than this common excuse for not agreeing with, not passing, and the wanton removal of the licensing requirement.

BTW, traditions are a good thing, and Morse is certainly a tradition within ham radio. Moreover, the no-code tech is a beginner's license.

13. N2MMM

NL7W, what I meant earlier is that we need to suck the oil we need out of Alaska and sell the land back to the Russians

14. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

kc0lxk-Whether or not Morse code is useful is irrelevant. If people find it useful they will learn and use Morse code regardless of the testing requirement.------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------ (this is true all the way,)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ If they do not find use in Morse code then they have wasted time their time learning something they will never use. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------(I have already wasted a year trying to do the trash and have not got the trash yet, But I am working on the trash, other,s may like it ,and that is fine with me , But to me it,s just trash that I have got to learn that I dont have any care for ,after I pass the test I am still for any one that can get Rid of it as a Requirment , and if the fcc drops it I am with them 100% ) 73 Bill

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill,

The reason you haven't passed the simplistic 5 wpm Morse requirement is directly attributable to your attitude and the way you continue to view the requirement as, in your words, "trash". That's your problem...

Quoting a famous Eagles' song, I'll say, "Get over it". But as you know, you don't have to... it's your choice.

You'll still feel better about yourself if you do pass it, rather than waiting for the NPRM to come to pass.

A small sense of accomplishment is always a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.