ad: elecraft

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

nl7w-Oh, what a hobby... You've gotta love it--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- sir you will love it more ,if you will not worry about what someone else dose and enjoy what you have done,73 Bill [​IMG]

2. kd4mxe

nl7w -Let's just give EVERYONE a chance to access the lovely and desirable HF bands. Let's substitute the 5-wpm Morse code test with a 30-wpm typing, American language, and spelling test--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------ This would satisfy my gumption requirement-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----( I am not sure about that , people like you will find something to whine about )no matter what,73 Bill [​IMG]

3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of "dumbing down" the skills and memorization requirements, I say we give away a fair number of licenses in boxes of cereal. Here's the idea:

As an Amateur Radio promotion, I say we convince the U.S. Government to randomly give away ham licenses in boxes of Cracker Jacks and Lucky Charms. You know, with a disproportional high percentage being Technician, then say 5 percent being General, and 1 percent being Extra Class. This would give everyone the same blind shot -- as long as you can afford to buy boxes of cereal or caramel coated popcorn candy. But then, someone would say the poor among us couldn’t afford to buy the numbers needed to win the General or golden "Extra Class" ticket. Can someone say ACLU?

Anyway, wouldn't it be a surprise to win an "Extra" license from box? Geesh, as long as one could fill out the license app, that person could bypass taking any code "skills" test or written exams. Just send in the form in triplicate, collect your "Extra", buy a modern "throw-away" radio, prefabricated coax assemblies and antennas, and get-on- the-air! Now we're talking!

Oh, you can't forget your favorite "set and forget" auto-tune HF amplifier, as well as its “prefabed” interface cable, for the power you'll need to complete with the big boys throughout skip-land. Can you hear me now?

It'll come down to this before the end... just watch.

What a hobby! You've gotta love it!

4. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Its alright, Bill. He's another person who equates intelligence with education or communications skill. By that measure I ought to be a genius in his book and we all know that I am dumber than a wet rock.

5. kd4mxe

nl7w-It'll come down to this before the end... just watch.

What a hobby! You've gotta love it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------well sir you could Be Right, cant say one way or the other , the fcc makes the Rules so if we live long enought we will see , and I am sure that there is something in this hobby that everyone likes if its (code -ssB- packet or other things thats ever one to his on, I cant worry about what every one else dose ,I am just trying to do the Best I can ,to do what I want , I may not Be as smart as you, But I do know my way around commucation ElEctronic,s a little Bit , 73 Bill

6. kd4mxe

ag4yo-  By that measure I ought to be a genius in his book and we all know that I am dumber than a wet rock.----------------------------------------------------------------------Hey mr.  charlie have not seen your post in a while now , (and the dumb part well )I dont think that is Right , we dont see eye to eye on some things But I know I could learn a lot from you guys , I could  have already pasted the code test if  I lived next door to a Ham as smart as you are ,But I got to do it the Hard way ,But I will get it , how much Power you get out of that swan  amp you got , I have two of them ,73  and Be good Bill

7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie,

You and I both know moderate and high-power radio communications capabilities in our world require regulation through administration, licensure, and technical controls.

With over three thousand posts on QRZ, what do you suggest we do? Should the FCC give away licenses thal allow 1500-watt transmissions to inept and less-than-qualified "everyday" folks? Or, should actually keep some semblance of standards, be it with a Morse code test and/or a very difficult testing process with huge pools of questions --or not?

Here's my beef regarding the reduction of licensing requirements. I'm tired of listening to a recent licensed Alaskan General tell other Alaskan hams that he can't wait for the code requirement to disappear so he can bring up more of his CB buddies stuck on 27 MHz with no propagation. His CB mentality has not, and will not, be washed anytime soon. His rhetoric spews from a distorted, 10 KHz wide, 75-meter station he refuses to address -- even after approximately ten respected Alaskan stations have politely informed him that his station is wide and distorted. Alaskan peer pressure has not fazed him. What is going to faze the next round of folks -- his buddies? You know, those who won't have to work very hard to get their licenses?

Granted, their will be great exceptions and good hams who will join the us, but what of the far larger percentage of riff-raff that will swell the ranks (as compared to today), once this testing standards reduction is in-place? I see enforcement being a real issue in the future.

Please give us your ideas.

73 de NL7W

8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie,

You and I both know moderate to high-power RF communications capabilities require regulation through administration, licensure, and technical controls.

With over three thousand posts on QRZ, what do you suggest we do? Should the FCC give away licenses to transmit 1500 watts to inept and less-than-qualified "everyday" folks? Or, should actually keep some semblance of standards, be it with a Morse code test and/or a very difficult testing process with huge question pools, or not?

Here's my beef regarding the reduction of licensing requirements. I'm tired of listening to a recent licensed Alaskan General Class tell other Alaskan hams that he can't wait for the code requirement to disappear so he can bring up more of his CB buddies stuck on 27 MHz with no propagation. His CB mentality has not, and will not, be washed anytime soon. His rhetoric spews from a distorted, 10 KHz wide, 75-meter station he refuses to address -- even after approximately ten respected Alaskan stations have politely informed him that his station is wide and distorted. Alaskan peer pressure has not fazed him. Will peer pressure phase the next round of folks -- his buddies? You know, those who won't have to work very hard to get their licenses?

Granted, there will be great exceptions and good hams that will join us, but what of the far larger percentage of riff-raff that will swell the ranks (as compared to today), once this standards reduction is in-place? I see enforcement being a real issue in the future.

BTW Charlie, I don't have a 4-year degree. But, I've worked within the commercial and government electronics and telecom industries for 21 years as a technician, supervisor, engineer, and technical project manager. Have I worked hard to prove myself over the years? Yes. Have I lost opportunities because I do not have a 4-year degree? Yes. Do I keep pressing on? Yes, I do.

Do I now value education? Yes, because I have seen, first-hand, just how many doors are closed despite long years of experience doing the same or similar work. Do I value experience? I value this even more so -- but it really doesn't matter as much as the piece-of-paper today. I am finally going back to school after 21 years - just so I can clear this hurdle. If I learn something of career value in the next 15 months, it would be good. But, I am not holding my breath. In the end, I'll still have my 21 or 22 years of experience, but the piece-of-paper filter won't apply.

Besides the education and experience aspects of "technical" endeavors, I find testing, evaluation, standards, and their controls to be a measuring stick that ALL must be compared. I always believed this... for they are what really matter. Otherwise, technical endeavors are just too subjective and chaotic. This is why I said what I've said as it concerns Amateur Radio testing. HR still is technical. It's still dangerous for those who don't quite know what they're doing, as well as to the communications of other spectrum users. Ok?

The moral here is: don't believe for a minute you know me or others by what we say here.

9. kd4mxe

ag4yo-Its alright, Bill. He's another person who equates intelligence with education or communications skill. By that measure I ought to be a genius in his book and we all know that,-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------- ( charlie I understand But this Ham should understand that everone may not have the same gift of life that he dose even today there are some that can not do what he can do ,and there are some that can do things he cant do , thats life, there is one thing he dont mind putting others down, he dose not know my past he dose not know how hard it was Back in those days for me , he should show a little Respect for things he dont know about,) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------I am dumber than a wet rock. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------(no I dont think so , you know what you are doing , you need to pass on some of that stuff you know so I could know more ,with all I know it,s just the tip of the iceBurg to guy,s like you ,) 73Bill

10. kd4mxe

nl7w-Regarding NCT's testing process, these licensees have not demonstrated (to me) they possess an amateur radio related skill. Therefore, I would like to refer to them as NSTs - No Skill Technicians-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------(sir do you know if I have any skill or not,or just Because I am a no-code tec you class me with your C B Buddies well you may know them But you dont know me ,so you go ahead and put other people down even if you dont know them , you will get a gold star when you die and leave this world ,) 73 Bill

11. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, maybe we should just suck the oil out of Alaska and sell it back to the Russians. The 11 month winters are getting to the residents up there.

12. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not. Everybody else does.

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Bill,

Just how did you link the ex-CB'er here in Alaska to yourself? Did I make that connection? No.

I used the ex-CB'er as a perfect example of the lowering of standards. Moreover, I said the ex-CB'er was a General Class -- one who (at the least) had enough gumption to pass his 5 wpm and Tech and General written tests. He did this because of the lowering of standards, i.e. the lowered Morse requirement and public and published test question pools, which made for an easier testing process. Now, this same person can't wait for the standards to be lowered even further, so his lazy buddies with less gumption can join him on ham radio.

So, if you feel guilty by association, it's not my fault. I did not initiate the link... look inward, Bill.

Why are you talking about my death? I am a Christian, am young, and have half of my career and life ahead of me, I suppose. I do not fear death.

Back to standards... The slippery slope regarding the lowering of U.S. education, knowledge, and skills standards surrounding technical vocations and avocations is DANGEROUS. Across the Nation, our kids are not doing well in math and science, as compared to other leading industrialized nations. Foreigners are invading our engineering schools, and are taking high-tech jobs away from Americans -- look at the H1B visa program. If we do not reverse our national education woes and begin to expect more from our kids, our country's technological (world) dominance is doomed.

We should continue to keep standards for technical vocations and avocations at a high level -- despite societal screaming to the contrary. This applies directly to ham radio, too.

Ok, I've said my peace.

Have a great day. I've got to go back to work checking on some Galaxy 10R DAMA Satcom Gateways and fiber optic mux gear.

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

We agree here.

There are a few NCTs on QRZ who are poster children for the code test being a great filter. My concern is that we're not doing enough to identify the real positive NCTs out there who we need to HELP get over the code barrier, and we're not providing enough structured activity to make having a license worthwhile for those who don't make it past element 1.

CB Radio was pretty nice up until the early 70s. Families, nice people using call signs, following the rules. Then the CB movie craze and here comes the lowlifes and funkballs. I just don't want Amateur Radio to go the same route. It has nothing to do with spelling or schooling.

15. kd4mxe

ag4yo- It has nothing to do with spelling or schooling.------------------------------------------------------------------------well charlie I dont know how you can say this , I failed the code test Because I could not spell (wisconsin ) if I had a good Education I would have the code test now Behind me ,73 Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.