ad: MLSons-1

FCC Invades our Privacy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting question.....

The fact is, if someone wants to know where you live, what difference does it make. The information is readily available about anyones residence. It is only those who do not want to found for some reason, that can conceal their whereabouts.

In reality, it doesn't impact ones personal security to make their address known. The real crucial information are general identifcation numbers attached to who we are. Things like our social security number, phone number, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, are all more of security risk if they are made public. These should never be made public or given out, to anyone for any reason. In fact I beleive (correct me if I'm wrong) there is a law that states you can refuse to give your social security number to anyone, or any entity except Social Security or the IRS.

Of course the individual crazy person might make a visit to your home, and that is the one thing that one should be aware of.

Basically, it comes down to personal conduct. If you have nothing to conceal than you shouldn't be too worried. If you do, than conceal it.

The fact remanes one's annonimity is tough to maintain regardless. If someone wants to find you, they will.

In relation to the FCC ruling, earning a HAM ticket requires taking on public responsibilty. You are obligated, with full understanding before acquiring your license, to fullfill certain public service. This public obligation should include an accurate disclosure of who you are and your identity within your community. Responsibilty has benefits as well as obligation.

Just my personal opinion.

John - W2WDX

The W2WDX Amateur Radio Website

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.