ad: Radclub22-1

FCC Invades our Privacy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I am not sure what any terrorist or stalker is thinking about but I was in the Army for 8 years. I would say that as a regualr Joe that you are not really the concern or in the sight of the typical stalker unless you have something they want. Just as anyone could Hack you why would they want your sons homework. If it were me I would want like the new codes to XP or something like that. As Far as your QSL info well I can go to the town hall and get info on your name from your street number. like tazx info and all. Then I can also get off the internet a DMV check for some alooted money. I can find out where you went to school and all. But do I have time for all that NO!. Well, everyone should relax. I have no money, I am broke and my prize possesion is my ham radio.

73's

2. AD6WL

AD6WL Ham Member QRZ Page

>Then again, if Pamela Anderson got her ticket I >might want to be stalked just a little bit.
    Ok, now i get it. Pamela Anderson stalking a Ham operator. Now i've heard everything. hi hi.
    73, Jim

3. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd rather hams have my address than those pesky credit card companies. Darn whippersnappers use personal information like my address to lay waste to innocent trees. Sheesh.

Anyway on a more serious note, directories like 411.com can do the same thing that the FCC database can do and even worse. You can get anyone's listed address and phone number. Heck, even before 411.com there was and still is the white pages in your local phone book. So I have come to one conclusion and solution. If you don't wanna be listed pay the phone company the unlisted fee. If you don't want your home address in the FCC database, get a P.O. box. In this world there is no such thing as privacy. Deal with it.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok whats with this squable about privacy.

I figure:

#1 I went to public school and received a Diploma (couldnt tell sometimes by my grammatical errors)that information is available.

#2 I was a Poster Child for the Muscular Dystrophy Association for several years (1980's) so I and my family were the subject of various interviews and the like the fact that my mom and older sister have MD also made Front page often.

#3 I have been in the hospital more than once in my life time and in the ER privacy is not headed (atleast in my town).

#4 I publish from time to time comments in my local paper and they require my addy and name.

#5 I have attended many town meetings and have had to give my name, address, and phone # many times.

I am not affraid of some turkey doing harm to me or knowing about me my life has been an open book since 7/12/71 and I could care less...

BTW dont get a ticket driving down the road as when the cop uses his 800mhz radio or MDT (mobile data terminal) he / she has already violated your privacy. I listen quite often to my scanner and hear our law enforcement officers when asking for a criminal histories/wants/warrents check give SSN, DOB, height, weight, eye color, and hair colour...

My father taught me and my siblings one thing while he was alive, "dont let fear run your life or you will for ever be running." (he also taught us to use a gun and defend ourselves (after all he was a cop for 10yrs).

I live in a town that over the 20+ yrs i have lived here has grown exponentially 30k to 112k, I am more concerned with being run over or deafened due to the "sound of freedom" from the F/A 18-D's that fly over my house daily from the Marine Corps AirStation. Privacy Is not on my list of worries (my main worry is what I am gonna have for breakfast hihihi). On a side note, some schools publish your childs SSN in either barcode or magnetic stip which they have to wear visible to all via their school identification cards (the barcode is the easiest to decipher you can buy a reader very cheap) (and magnetic stripe readers are readily available anywhere for a few hundred bucks) I pray the children dont loose their card.. 73 all de kd4ygc Todd

5. W8UR

W8UR Ham Member QRZ Page

‘‘(c)(1) The head of each Federal agency shall require each person doing business with that agency to furnish to that agency such person’s taxpayer identifying number.

‘‘(2) For purposes of this subsection, a person shall be considered
    to be doing business with a Federal agency if the person is—

‘‘(B) an applicant for, or recipient of, a Federal license,[...] administered by the agency;
    <DIV>
    The full text can be found here: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=104_cong_public_laws&docid=f:pub l134.104.pdf
    </DIV>

6. N8EMR

N8EMR Ham Member QRZ Page

You might want to mention the phone company does the same thing. Its called the phone book!!!

7. W7MAG

W7MAG Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe that it's even an issue.
    Most if not all hams and potential hams know that there is a call directory published with address information. So it's a given that info is available.
    It's not like the FCC uses your SSAN as an identifier. THAT would be a problem.
    Besides, if one wanted to, one could use a PO Box for the public's eye (as I've done, though I've nothing to hide, I just prefer to get my mail at a location where cars can't mow it over as our mailbox appears to draw cars like magnets).

Tell your friend to relax and Happy Holidays to all!!

From the Sprawling metropolis of Pahrump Nevada,
    de - N7QQF

8. WA1IWH

WA1IWH Guest

Your non ham lady friend may not know it, but if she gives out her phone number to anyone, or puts return address on mail, or has an e-mail id, owns property, has ever been arrested for anything, has registered a vehicle, was in the military, far more information about her can be obtained. And, with knowing nothing more about her, than her name. And, all obtained legally either from the internet, or public records.

Unless your friend has had bad experiences with stalkers, ex husbands/boy friends, etc. she needs to get a grip. She needs to go through life looking forward and watch what's coming, not over her shoulder.

That's my opinion.

I agree with the the writer, I like the ability to get QSL address information easily.

"We can't control the winds, but we can trim our sails"

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night . . . . . ;-)

9. N3WJL

N3WJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if you can't find out where I live you're not trying very hard. Look at all the other ways you can be found. I am a pilot as well as a ham so go to the FAA web site and you can find my address as well.
    Got a GMRS ticket? that's another way. What about simply looking up a name on people find on yahoo or any other search engine.

Here in PA if you are a MD, DVM, VMD,DDS,DMD, PE, barber, real estate agent, insurance agent, car saleman or any other person who requires a state license your info is on-line.

The state of California even goes so far as to sell your driver license info.

in allegeny county PA you can even go on-line and find out tax and sales info for all the property in the county.

It used to bug me but I hate to say it now I am use to it. Short of giving up my licenses, moving and getting an international drivers permit after changing my name there is not much we can do to get our privacy back.

73's
    De N3WJL

10. K6VB

K6VB Ham Member QRZ Page

Please add me to Santa's list. I need a bigger tower with stacked monobander yagis. =)

Jim K6VB

11. Guest

Guest Guest

In 8 years as a ham I have never had a problem with anyone tracking me down.

Just junk mail from ham radio/QSL card dealers.

Dave Smith
    KE6BGH

12. W1HY

W1HY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I think this all comes under the heading of "locks were made to keep honest people out....." Unfortunately this is part of the price we pay. If someone wants to invade our privacy or do whatever, there is little we can do to stop them. All we can do is state is that if they come, come heavy.

13. KC5SDY

KC5SDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I use a PO box just for convenience. For as often that I move at times, it makes it a lot easier for me to use the PO box that a regular address. When I got the box, I was using it for security reasons but, now it is more out of convenience than anything else. Otherwise, I would not mind at all about my address being published through the FCC. You would have to know how to look it up in the first place...

14. K1MKF

K1MKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone who is licensed for something in the USA, Dentist, hairdresser, driver, etc. has his personal info stored in a public database. Some are probably easier than others to search but all are available to the public. The only way I believe there is a lessening of security is for those who put their callsign on their vehicles or on the license plate. (I did it, too.) Then if you cut-off or flip the bird to someone on the highway he can easily look up your address.

15. K3RRR

K3RRR Guest

If you have a concern about sending out your address the PO Box idea would answer that. The reason that people want your address other than sending the QSL card is seeing where they able to reach, but you already know that. The problem with sites like this one(QRZ.COM) are that they give a map to your house -- something not needed to send a QSL card or to understand propagation. A QSL card with your city and a PO Box on it would be enough, I think. Look into eQSL.com also. That might help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.