ad: elecraft

FCC Invades our Privacy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

kc8pmm writes:
    I was explaining QSL cards with one of my non-amateur radio friends and she asked me, "How can you give your address to a stranger, aren't you worried about that?" I continued to explain that the FCC publishes everyone's information, which can be viewed by anyone with an internet connection. She was appalled and suggested I was endangering my family by being subject to such an "invasion of privacy".

I was wondering how everyone else felt about this subject. I think she may not be completely wrong; however, I myself like the fact I can get QTH information easily so I can see to whom and where I am talking. Should we use PO boxes, or are we all safe from Ham Radio stalkers?

2. KM4PW

KM4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

i have wondered about this myself. the way i figure it, if someone wants to find you they will. there are many other ways for people to get your information. i dont worry about it anymore. most hams are some of the nicest folks i have ever met. also, hams are prob the only ones who no about these databases anyway. i have a good friend who refuses to put a pic of himself and his shack on qrz for concern of someone wanting to break in and steal his stuff. isnt that what insurance is for? i say dont worry about it. there are plenty of other things in this world we need to be more concerned with. 73

3. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC has been making my address public since 1968. I guess I'm used to it by now. hi

Besides, these days the FCC asks for your mailing address, not the physical location of your station (this is a change from when I was a Novice). My mailing address is different from my station location, although it's close enough that if you aim your beam at one, you'll hit both.

73, Creede

4. K5CWO

K5CWO Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC's practice to publish licenesee information such as addresses is consistant with making public info public. If an individual is concerned with their home address being on the internet, then simply open a P.O. Box and submit a change to the FCC. There are those that want a sense of pivacy...which can lead to a false sense of security.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

What is all this talk about "paranoia"? I take exception to this. I LIKE paranoia! I enjoy it! It is fun! And if you don't agree with me, then, well, you know, I will have to "think of something". So THERE! How about you? Do YOU ever get paranoid? Do YOU like it? Do YOU enjoy it? Do YOU ever think it is fun?

6. W7LOY

W7LOY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had not thought about whether our infomation could be used by persons other than hams and personnally do not intend to worry about it, If someone wanted to harm myself or others they will find a way if they want to bad enough. A lot of our information is public knowledge anyway through DMV,the courthouse where you have property on record etc: So having our info published with the FCC will not make us any more exposed then with anything/or anyone else.

7. KK7UO

KK7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

QSL Cards have been around for a long time; long before the internet. Hams would give their address out over the air in those days. When operating amateur radio there is no expectation of privacy with regard to anything that is transmitted.

Hugh Hetrick, KK7UO

8. G0APV

G0APV Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings Flloyed
    If we are decent good living folk we have nothing to fear but fear its self, stand up stick your chest out tell it the way it is and let the devil take the rest....merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and your family from me and mine......73 and God bless.. victor G0APV

9. AA7JC

AA7JC Ham Member QRZ Page

This whole thing about our callbook entries being an invasion of privacy makes me twinge.
    I agree that maybe there should be some basic options regarding what is published (for those that insist on it) but my personal *feelings* are..

The domino affect of justified paranoia is charting a predictable path.
    We strive to accomplish and be recognized only to find out that it is better to be anonymous.
    Let's not forget that identity is a *fundamental* part of amateur radio.

Ken Lotts
    aa7jc

10. N4KJF

N4KJF Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago I recieved two calls from lawyers(for the plaintiff and defendant) regarding a lawsuit from some lady to a department store I worked at about five or six years back. Now , I had moved 3 times since then, and changed my phone number about five times. They got my phone number, which is unlisted. And they spelled my name correctly also.
    There is a lot more information available out there, about all of us, which is not that difficult to obtain, than what is available on the FCC database.
    I feel there are other things to worry about.
    No problem, such is life.

Me, I'm going to find a stocking big enough so santa can leave me the tower I'd like to have. If not, he will just have to hold on to it t'ill next year.:)

Merry Christmas and happy new year!! 73,Al

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Considering the pervasiveness of private information already abundant, I don't know it the FCC database would be any different than drivers licese databases around the country. The Government has a right specially in these trying times to have the location of all transmitters in country. As to whether or not the general public needs the same information is to me still questionable, but not concerning. We are federally licensed and therefore I would think the public has a right to know who is the holder of that license. I don't see it as an infringement of my rights, because I am using a public (our) resource. I would like to think some what naive, that at least the Government is accountable, others like corporations are not. I think at the end of the day I am more worried about corporations having my information than government.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I also had to state thank God we live in a country where we can own a transmitter, talk about what I want to talk about whenever I want to talk about it. Without having to worry about someone knocking down my door. That is the true invasion of privacy.
    Let's all take a step back and say God Bless America, and the freedoms which so few others have.

13. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been a amateur for about 20 yrs and I have never had any promblem with it
    just like having your name in hte phone book
    Dave/KA7RRA

14. KI5TD

KI5TD Ham Member QRZ Page

(1) You should tell your neighbor to "get a life!" She obviously hasn't noticed that hundreds of people (assuming she does business with the gas company, the phone company, her insurance company, etc. or is a member of a church that publishes a directory) already have access to her address. And they are not people who assert that they have something in common with her as you do with the hams with whom you communicate. Identity theft is a problem but QSL cards don't pose any real threat.
    (2) I am rather more disconcerted by the fact that the FCC data base provides every ham's federal registration number to the public at large. I wonder what, if any, uses could be made of that? Is the FRN used by any other agency in the government? Does it cross to any other data bases? I have no problem with the publication of my address. The American people have a right to know to whom their government gives exclusive licenses to use a national resource. Democracy cannot exist without transparency and accountability in government.

15. K3RRR

K3RRR Guest

I do agree that there are good reasons for having this information available to other hams. I do not agree with the thinking, "If you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about." People who want to use your information for their own gain are looking for people that do nothing wrong! Stealing peoples identities is so common today that every little bit of information that is not necessary is just giving away your security. Using a PO Box is an answer that looks like it works. Use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.