ad: QSLWorks-1

FCC Invades our Privacy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3RRR

K3RRR Guest

With the phone company you have an option to not list your address. Ham radio has to be one of the cleanest hobbies out there, but today some people have to be concerned who has access to information that is not meant for them. I do not see it as a problem for me, but I would rather only other hams have access to it (not for mailing lists, etc)

2. K3RRR

K3RRR Guest

In some ways it is stupid, however, in some ways life dictates that you at the very list insist that the people seeking your information provide who they are and why they need it(FOIA and DMV's require this to some degree) I don't think the people are saying that this information being public is the problem, it is the ease of obtaining it without any ability to track any access to it. My concern is more for the commercial uses of this information. We will not ever protect ourselves but we can at least expect those who want to "bug" us to pay the price of going to the post office and filling out the forms or paying the State their little fees....

3. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think any one who thinks that there's any privicy anymore is new in town!

4. KA9EES

KA9EES XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tell your friend to look in the phonebook.
    Ed KA9EES
    22 Oregon St.
    Danville IL

5. KG7A/SK2022

KG7A/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess in today's world there's always a fear that lingers towards our privicy. Well, there's always a loophole in giving our info out and if you use your imagination instead of being paronoid of living in today's world, then you've got it licked. Some people fear the public because of some past bad experience and that is to be corrected and not lingered on. I've gave my address of a fellow ham with permission and always give my return address on the QSL cards I send because it's custom. I've learned ham radio operating from the old timers because how else are you going to learn. They have a heart of gold and worked on there licenses the hard way. I respect that and they're like family in communications. So regardless of what people might ask about ham radio in the world of private cell phone communications, (and maybe better for them), it's time we use common sense and give them a bit of education and moral code of ethics in the ham radio dept.

6. K7PIG

K7PIG Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't have to comply with what the FCC wants.

Don't furnish the info. = No License Issued.

Now isn't that simple?

7. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all. Happy holidays. Well in reguards to this story. Why does everybody think so negative?? You're friend a lady makes mention on something she has no idea about. Typical of a woman allways thinking negative. I herd of women running from unmarked police I.E. for speeding with there lights on because there scared and got away with it. Any body who runs ham radio knows that in our world we all respect eachother. I have gotten addresses and phone numbers on the air and numerious invites to stop in and say hi or stay at a hams house or location. I have never herd anybody getting burgerlzed from qrz.com or buck master. How else are we going to do qsl's and get information from our fellow hams if we know nothing. I do believe that there is more interesting things that dishonest people can look up on the internet to steal then going to a ham site and look up a ham call sign and some need a password with you're call sign to log in. I have no problem showing my address and do believe it is great to know that the world of ham knows my location. Well thats just me. I am sure there will be alot of replys to this matter. Happy holidays to all. Eddie

8. W6RP

W6RP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm all for privacy and certain things in our

personal lives not being tracked such as web

sites that we go to or the types of products

we buy at the local department/grocery store

but people, realize that your address is public

domain. Anyone can just walk around and write

down your address. How do you think you get

mail from the USPS??? Now, when people use

my address to profit and I don't get a

percentage of that profit, I'm a little peeved!

These comments have been brought to you by the

letter g, thank-you.

PS Talking of privacy have you noticed that you

can't even post anonymously on qrz.com?

9. W6RP

W6RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, Missouri still uses your SS number as the default driver's license number unless

you ask them not too and then they will assign you a random number instead which is still

linked to your SS number in their database. What is really bad is that when I write a check in

the local Super Wal-mart they still ask for my SS
    number even though all they require is the

driver's license number but they weren't trained
    to recognize that the driver's license number

is the same for check cashing purposes. I cannot list how many times I've had to talk to the

manager there because the checker would not check me out without my SS number!!

Oh, and watch out Michigan, they are planning legislation there to require the SS be used as

your driver's license number too.

This post has been brought to you by the letter p, thank-you.

10. WO7T

WO7T Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides giving out our name and address for Federal licensing purposes, it goes out to banks for accounts, and credit cards, state agencies for driver's license and such, mortgage companies to finance your house loan, credit unions for car loans, etc. etc. Unfortunately it is all the latter that appear to sell off that info to anyone for asking price. At least my FCC record is somewhat more contained to a group of people in-the-know.

I don't think there is anything private about names and addresses anymore. If there is you must be dealing with financial matters out of a Swiss "numbered" account.

11. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That reminds me of this guy and his clash with PennDOT. Then again, I myself wonder why everyone wants my SSN. I was even denied testing at a VE session because SSA had not yet mailed my SS card. (Even though I kept showing them in the ARRL/VEC manual that you don't need a SS number to take a VE exam, you just write "FOREIGN" in the TIN field.)

12. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Even though we're "non profit" (though from ARRL's attitude these days one has to wonder), the vast majority of FCC licensees and spectrum users are commercial, therefore they need to have a "Tax ID" number for tax purposes.

Then there is of course the "deadbeat dads" law. Even though IMHO there are just as many "deadbeat moms" who want the money for themselves. (This world is run by women, in case you didn't know.)

But I have to wonder to myself, why the heck does everyone want your SSN? I think pretty soon they'll put a chip in your right hand or your forehead with your SSN implanted in it, without which you can't do any sort of business. The credit buros, banks, credit card companies etc want it, your employers madly distribute it to all your benefit providers. I absolutely hate it, for no other reason than the fact that I feel like a number, sort of like cattle or sheep or a prison inmate.

On a side note, as for profiling, the only profiling that bothers me these days is the one that's sending the USA straight back in time. That's scary. But that's for another forum.

Happy Holidays.
    Ryan AB2MH

13. KT6KT

KT6KT Ham Member QRZ Page

This person must have something to hide. She has not been told about DFing. Glad this waco is not my neighbor.

Serge
    kt6kt@juno.com

14. K7PIG

K7PIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good question AB2MH, why does it seem every person wants to know or physically see our SSAN Card.

My SSAN Card states clearly at the bottom: "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY PURPOSES * NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION"

Give'em what they want or we suffer.
    There ARE people in our Government at all levels that have JOB SECURITY thinking of something spectacular just like this: We need your SSAN or what flavor of Ice Cream you eat daily, your Dog's name and why did you name the dog that.

Here's a good one: Who by Law gave the DMV permission to sell our identity to big business, I never have seen that on any ballot, neither has anyone else.

73, W7SNS.

15. N4SI

N4SI Guest

Every FCC licence holder, many state driver's license holders, most telephone subscribers with a listing, and your elected officials all have publically available listings of their address. Why Worry? Any club you belong to, any school you (or your kids) go to, have your address. The information is available to many. If you have gas, electric or cable service, or a public water or sewer connection - they've got your address. Why Worry? Do you own property & pay taxes - they've got your address. Do you have a library card? Are you registered to vote? You know the answer.
    But if you're in a military service .... you're known by your SSN almost as much as by your name. It's on just about every official form you fill out. Its on every order (except verbal) you receive. AND it's part of your address. No more serial numbers - it's been SSN's since the mid 60's.
    Don't Worry !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.