ad: elecraft

FCC Invades our Privacy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nothing new with this observation... Many people are simply, "afraid to be alive"... I am grateful to be in a country and a society that allows us not to be afraid of being alive!

I am new to Amateur Radio... But, not new to knowing what it's all about...

2. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

I like paranoia, too. I also personally think it can be quite fun. It's also fun to stir things up a little. I just thought I would share my experience and see how everyone else feels about it (plus stir it up).

3. WP3BM

WP3BM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just go to PBS.ORG and check the article "Hackers". It is interesting what somebody can do with just a little information.

Merry Christmas!

4. N8ARY

How will Santa find us????

5. N8ARY

Yes, "THEY." That's always been a term I have answered with WHO are THEY?" and "What could 'THEY' possibly want with or have to gain by harming me?"

6. N8ARY

I was referring to those "THEY" who might decide to stalk HAMS. Lets say maybe you cut someone off in traffic and they happen to know about QRZ and you have your callsign on your license plate. OK, I may be reaching a little, but there are some freaks out there.

I buy and sell on E-bay, too, so theres another place I might run into someone who can get my home address and visit me unexpectedly because I outbid them on an old unbuilt Heathkit.

I use the term "stalker" in somewhat of a sarcastic way, as if anyone would want to stalk a geek like me who likes to talk to strangers on the radio and send them postcards. SHEESH!! Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Please, no offense, all you stalkers out there.

I guess it's a good thing I own so many guns to protect myself, because a person could get my info from those records, too.

7. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

This is NOT the FCCs fault, but rather your Congres Critters.

They passed the Dead Beat Dad Law (sexist, but anyhow) that requires all Federal agencies to collect the SSN or TIN of any one doing business
    with them. The number is sent to HHS for comparison to their master list of Dead Beat Dads.

If you're not one of those, there is no reason to work about givin' the government a number the already have. At any rate, they cross check the SSN or TIN and if it doesn't agree they contact you for an explanation. I know that,because the
    TIN of our club was the TIN of the parent corporation. We had to change the club name to
    match the name the TIN was issued in.

HAPPY HOLIDAZE!

73 de Ronnie

8. AA4IH

AA4IH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have an internet connection, you have access to anyones personal info, not just hams.

KG4MRV

9. KB2VUQ

KB2VUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see it differently.
    The posting of our names and addresses,
    serve to help the amateur community "police"
    itself. Imagine if we had to rely totally
    on the FCC to monitor and police the amateur
    frequencies? It would become chaotic
    (much like the way cb radio became).

Of course, the ability to send qsl cards
    to another ham within minutes goes without
    saying, as do so many other reasons.

Who amongst us would even consider talking to
    somebody with an "unlisted" callsign?

Best 73,
    Dennis

10. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The FCC is required by law to do it that's why. Simply. Congress did it not the FCC. Thou dost protest too much.

Now you have your explanation. Case closed.

11. N8HCS

N8HCS Ham Member QRZ Page

In regards to kc8pmm comment from his friend about invasion of privacy...
    I never thought of giving my address to a stranger as puting anyone in danger.. It is a system that has worked for years, I think we need this invasion of privacy so we can collect all those cards for worked all states and the like. Usually the people that worry about having their privacy invaded are the same people you wouldnt want to invade in the first place or they tell you more than you need to know in the first place..thanks for the use of the Hall Don N8HCS

12. N8ARY

Exactly, Don! Did I stir up the community with this one? Quite a number of comments in under 24 hrs.

13. W4CNG

W4CNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not listed in the Phone book in my life. Growing up in Broadcast Television and Radio, after the first 3-5 midnight phone calls to my parents house, I went dark, unlisted everywhere, except for all my friends in the last 35 years. Addresses are required for most items, but not phone numbers and SSN, I changed that on my DL 8 years ago.
    So you only have the necessary info to do business, but not my life history.

14. WA1NTI

WA1NTI Ham Member QRZ Page

As Lynnard Synnard would say, "I aint't hiding from nobody, nobody is hiding from me."

15. K7FU

K7FU Guest

I would be willing to bet that your friend throws more information out in her garbage than ever gets swapped in QSLing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.