ad: Radclub22-1

Army Cyber Institute - HF radio can take up slack, ARS contributes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Feb 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Most discussions on EMP focus on one high-altitude burst. Most of the nations in the nuclear club have a sufficient arsenal for multiple high-altitude bursts, followed by multiple near-surface bursts.

K0UO likes this.
  2. KD2AVW

MT-63 has tone libraries, I don't know if that is specifically for selective frequency fading, but it should make it a better candidate than FT8.

3. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I found MT-63 is better at VHF FM then on SSB driven HF; MFSK-XX , Domino, Contestia etc much better but slower. I imagine that Dr. Chip would know more than I do on that. Also I have heard Mil encrypted data traffic on HF in Mil segments and also MARS training nets where they then go back to voice and talk in the clear.

4. N2OBM

N2OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO (all below)-
    Humans have the worst memory. Articles like this remind the all of the 'Cyber-Glory-Seeking-Weenies' that radio frequency is the only medium (yes, layer 1 Cyber-crats) that provides true mobility.

But more important > LF, MF and HF is still viable for long haul, redundant or 'special purpose' communications.

As for the value of the Amateur Radio Service-
    In the course of my meager 27 year career in the Corps, the entire scope of Amateur Radio was the linchpin of my growth and continued success. The People - 99% willing to tutor, mentor and selflessly share knowledge. The reference material - Popular Electronics, 73, CQ, QST and countless other periodicals/publications have always burdened my footlockers. The radio time - PRICELESS. And now, the amount of information on websites hosted by Amateur Radio Operators.....damn near indispensable.

My current discipline is directly related to my knowledge of radio wave propagation, wave form attributes (you can't cheat physics) and the history behind certain allocations in most ITU Regions. Most of that knowledge.....gleaned from hanging around 'radio geeks' known as 'amateurs'. Thank you All!

I truly hope that 'refresher' articles like this, deter our Leaders from making decisions that devolve the knowledge base (and HF spectrum) for the sake of disposable, mind numbing dribble.

The ICAO (brilliant Routed and Off-Route HF use plan), the Maritime service (this HF plan needs some help), and the International Broadcast Service all seem to have what 'they need'.

HF-
    Fellow Amateurs....stop bring commercial solutions to non-existent problems: 1-our interoperability and survive-ability would not be at risk, 2-the struggle to support digital wave forms on the HF bands would not be so cut throat, 3-be careful what you wish for....

I have Premonitions (or nightmares)-

.....'the Public Safety Amateur Radio Service was created by executive order of the President of the United States today, re-utilizing over half of the radio frequencies of the former Amateur Radio Service. The Director of FEMA heralded the incorporation of the new service into AUXCOMM plans as an interim step until such time cities and State governments build out the federally adjudicated FirstNet. A passing comment from the Administration that this act also negated 'in fighting' over frequency use of the supposed "self-policing" Amateur Radio Service.'

'In other news - the President directed the Secretary of the Department of Commerce, which has purview of the FCC and NTIA, to auction xxx MHz of radio spectrum to the CTIA and wireless Broadband providers. Although there are no verifiable reports of RF saturation of the TDMA and CDMA delivery to 3 and 4G to customers, all of the major broadband providers contend that "it is not if, it will be when". They are adamant in their need of more RF spectrum. Comments by the administration were made that dispelled misconceptions and questions about the previous failure of selling the infamous 'Block D' spectrum that was made available by the deployment of digital television. Block D frequencies were given to a program known as FirstNet.'

'Mental Fun and and Mind Blitz, two if the largest "electronic art" online game providers, announced the advent of new 7D versions with 5.1 surround sound audio streams of popular games by both companies. Fantastic screen shots and audio clips on their websites are impressive, but a disclaimer states the requirement of your providers "super duper data plan". NOTE: Versions of these games that 'play well' on your mobile device are forthcoming. As noted by foreign news agencies, both companies are in dialogue with the SEC seeking protection from lawsuits totaling over 10 billion dollars in claims. The lawsuits are a result of studies from the Institute to Prevent Mindlessness that prove mind control messages are hidden content. The message content prompted thousands of players to "drink the cool aid".'

Flame away.....

5. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking more the rogue "nation" or "group" that detonates something near the ground in a "near" radius... something in a nearby city.

If nations are throwing multiple air and ground nukes at each other, whether your Kenwood survives is moot. There's probably very few people left to communicate with anyway, and there's a good chance they can't help you.

6. KD2AVW

7. KD2AVW

X-rays will cause pn junctions to conduct from n regions to p regions. If there isn't a path provided for that high current, the device will fail.
    Additionaly x-rays hitting cable shielding, (or boxes,) will produce high voltages on the shield as electrons jump levels and and collapse back (SGEMP).

I don't see, IMO, a rogue group developing that sort of weapon--they'd probably kill themselves handling the conventional high explosives, let alone die from handling nuclear materials. Rogue nations developing nuclear capabilities and delivery systems are also another matter.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What about troposcatter on VHF/UHF for reliable short haul communications? No ionosphere issues unlike NVIS. Sure it’s more directional and range is likely shorter depending on conditions. But during solar cycle lows, NVIS can be hard to do especially during the day.

The military used to do troposcatter, but it seems this article overlooks it. (So does ARES but that’s a different topic).

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thi
    This was the most indecipherable stream-of-unconsciousness prose I've ever read since I became literate.

10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the U.S. Military DOES have a way to judge technical smarts.... If I am not mistaken it's called the ASVAB test. I took it when I was a Novice (way back when) and they said I would be well suited as a Radio Operator, Radio/Electronics Tech, or Nuclear Power Plant Operator (I had/have an interest in all things Nuclear). Imagine THAT....

Nice visual... Unfortunately for you not all of those ol' Hammy Hams wear yellow vests. Some of us wear yellow Tee Shirts.

The ASVAB test is meant to highlight those areas of expertise in which you would be well suited and in which you have interest. The idea is that if you are interested in what you are doing you are more likely to be successful at it. If you have taken the time to memorize something it means you probably have an interest in the subject and that will be reflected in the test scores. It will also be reflected in your abilities once you have been properly trained.

Dan WQ4G

AC0GT likes this.
  11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

One detonation over Kansas, of sufficient yield and altitude, would destroy most of the exposed electronics in the U.S. In the Starfish Prime tests the 1.4 megaton burst occurred at an altitude of 250 miles above Johnston Island, over the Pacific Ocean. The pulse, which was stronger than expected, caused electrical damage in Hawaii, about 900 miles away from the detonation point, knocking out Street Lights, setting off Burglar Alarms, and damaging the telephone link from Kauai to the other islands. It has been estimated that an EMP blast from a SINGLE nuclear device at an altitude 20 miles would cover MOST of the U.S.

Dan WQ4G

12. KL7IS

KL7IS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting no mention of Army MARS/Air Force MARS.

K0UO likes this.
  13. KD2AVW

True though I think you mean 200 miles for high-altitude EMP. It's my opinion that only newcomers to the nuclear club would launch a single nuclear device. China, Russia and Pakistan have MIRV systems.

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was curious about that too.

After MUCH digging I found this presentation doc by Joe W1SPY from a DHS event in 2018. It shows that most Federal agencies including DoD volunteer auxiliaries are part of SHARES; ie, MARS, CAP, USCGAux.

So without mentioning MARS the SIGNAL article still applies to them as well, and the DHS presentation doc goes into a lot of interesting details outside the scope of the OP. A main objective of SHARES is interoperability among fed, state, local PS or NGO agency EMCOMM assets, including HF.

I think this DHS presentation underlines the premises of the OP article in SIGNAL. Although SHARES is a gov't entity operated separately from FCC Part 97 activities, IMO it would be impractical, especially today, to sustain SHARES without the ARS providing a foundation of expertise, an entry point and development path for, and pool of, motivated personnel.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    WQ4G likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the concern on EMP needs to be focused with sub-nuclear(dirty bomb type) EMP devices at low altitudes. That is where multipath becomes an issue.

Why would anyone fire off an EMP weapon that stops their own capabilities?

STARFISH PRIME is not the paradigm here.