ad: ProAudio-1

Army Cyber Institute - HF radio can take up slack, ARS contributes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Feb 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep......there goes another non -believer.... Now they believe....
    Rev. Percy Maxim

WD4ELG and VE3GZB like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in the Land of Oz, Or what you guys call, Kansas?

I can guarantee you there will be a bunch of us (in QZ), still on the air, if the Big one hits over head.

There's a lot of people out here, Very prepared.
    Army Cyber Institute - HF radio can take up slack, ARS contributes | QRZ Forums
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...dio-can-take-up-slack-ars-contributes.690950/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that low altitude dirty-bombs are of concern. See non-nuclear detonations below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_nuclear_accidents

I believe that a dirty-bomb would require the expertise and facilities of the existing nuclear-club. Handling nuclear materials is just too hazardous. So is handling conventional explosives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Village_townhouse_explosion

There are non-nuclear EMP events sources.

https://fas.org/irp/agency/army/mipb/1997-1/merkle.htm

There are other sources of E3 EMP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm
    http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

W1YW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Russia now using a hunter/killer satellite package according to news/public disclosures :-(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/poli...ng-american-satellites-space-force/index.html

The problem with satellites is that it's like trying to destroy a speeding bullet with a knife. Direct hits are very difficult --from-- space. That means the 'killer' package has to be something like an EMP device, that can get within a few Km's without a direct physical hit. Russia has been publicly exposed as working on small EMP devices. It's not because they have nothing better to do with their time....

That means you have to have an ability to deflect EMP RF and other radiation regimes as a countermeasure for our satellites. And guess who has the patents on that--- not Nikola Tesla.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    KY5U likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting these. The non-nuc stuff is what got me inventing deflection shields. Fractal: yes.

K8XG likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A follow on topically related to this thread posted in ARRL News today; ARS called upon to help train DoD :)

US Marines Sponsor Ham Radio Licensing Course

02/11/2020

US Marines with Information Group II Marine Expeditionary Force (II MIG) participated in an amateur radio general licensing course January 27 – 31 on base as part of the group’s High Frequency Auxiliary Initiative. Members of the Brightleaf Amateur Radio Club of Greenville, North Carolina, helped the Marines in the class learn the principles of HF radio operations as a contingency against a peer-to-peer adversary in real-world operations.

During the course, Marines learned ham radio theory, band allocations, conventional and field-expedient antenna theory, and general ham radio operation and control. II MIG Commanding Officer Colonel Jordan Walzer created the High Frequency Auxiliary Initiative after recognizing the need for additional options in combat environments.

“Right now, our adversaries are aggressively pursuing counter-space weapons (EMP) to target our satellites and ground stations,” Walzer is quoted in the article. “If our satellites get knocked out, what do we do then? [High Frequency] radio has been around for well over a century and is still used today. Why? Because it’s a reliable, low-cost alternative to satellite communications. With the right training and education, a Marine with a radio and some slash wire can communicate over-the-horizon for long distances, even between continents.”

“The volunteers who make up our High Frequency Auxiliary are absolutely vital to us building a world-class capability,” Walzer said. “We’re drastically improving our skill by pairing experts with Marines who have a passion for HAM radio. They may not wear the uniform, but they’re American patriots serving our country in a different way.”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah yeah yeah....but I have my official AWRL "Go Kit" and that will protect me from the nuke EMP.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio is a nation IMPERATIVE.

Stop feeling so ....unnecessary. Is it gonna take WWIII to get most of you to understand our value?

Think about it....

K8XG, W0PV and W1TRY like this.
  10. YD1LKB

YD1LKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Artikel yang sangat bermanfaat untuk saya dan semua orang thanks

11. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't get any better than this: active duty marines training on HF and hams helping out. Someone broke the code. Amen. Put a smile on my face. Kudos to the commander and to the radio club.

Al

VE3GZB likes this.
  12. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's like anything in ham radio... those that understand the need, purpose, and value of what we do, move forward. Those that don't post derogatory comments on social media platforms telling anyone that will listen that it won't work, is outdated, and stereotyping all hams into smelly old fat men with ketchup stains on their shirts and a safety vest. Ignore and move forward.

VE3GZB likes this.
  13. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Louisiana to the Mojave Desert ~I operated vhf/hf on a few sides of the Tiefort Mtns at the NTC for the entire month of Feb.1983. 3/77th AR BN-S3, 4th Inf. Mech.Div. Ft.Polk,LA. We flew Delta airlines to Edwards AFB, and our vehicles (M60 tanks, 577 apc's, 2.5's, 1/4 tons) were sent by rail to Ft.Irwin. I kept a journal of our movements, and a BCB dx log. hi

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  14. KJ5HY

KJ5HY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey I agree with Mattis--but you can't convince the Army of this one. If I can send a grid coordinate over something like JS8, you can plot that on your map and power point isn't needed--this is part of the senior leader training I'm trying to push!

K8XG and W0PV like this.
  15. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, we already lost over 40-45 satellites during the last one of two solar outbursts, so proving that SATCOM is not resilient even with CubeSats to pick up the slack will not win the day.
    These institutes like being in an advanced degree program are considered dead-time, hence not for promotion (exc. the DAF, that is).
    The Navy already tried the FT series of communication m0des for our boats with great results (subs for you Sandcrabs).

Unless someone in the operational wings and commands puts out requirements for USN MARS with funding, there will be no reincarnation of MARS in the foreseeable future.

A side show for a thesis at best.

The change must come from the operational commands to the acquisition services and then a sponsor in an existing program office (the US Army did this perfectly!!!)