ad: elecraft

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0CBE

KC0CBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great information and thanks for taking the time to post this valuable information.

2. KN4NIB

KN4NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, there are bad people out there, but there are good people as well.

K9ASE likes this.
  3. N8VWY

N8VWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

just to point out, gmail (if not others) requires the email address be more than i think 6 characters, so can't just use one's call sign.

also, 'free' email accounts are easy to get a hold of so that one can spoof whomever, as opposed to ISP-provided ones.

-mike

4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

My gmail email is just wb0mpb@gmail.com. I am just pointing out it can be just 6 characters.

John, WB0MPB

N8VWY likes this.
  5. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine is also my call sign.

N8VWY and WB0MPB like this.
  6. KB0LOL

KB0LOL Ham Member QRZ Page

that story was beautiful well played I hope that scammer was taught a lesson good job

7. N1NA

N1NA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job in finding this scam! Weird thing for me, is there is a nice Kenwood speaker for sale on QRZ I would like to buy, but the seller states "NO PayPAL"
    Does not mean he is a scammer, but I won't buy from him

8. KC1LEP

KC1LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL...my sister-in-law is a fraud investigator for Rockland Trust...I'll have to run this by her...

9. AC6VV

AC6VV Ham Member QRZ Page

About playing the scammers... If it's one of those phone calls we get all the time, like from the FBI, don't be tempted to play along. One of the things that will get you on the list of "live ones" is simply that you answered the call and the call duration was longer than the time it takes to hang up again. It's automated information generation for lists of likely prospects' phone numbers. I just let them talk to voicemail. The robocalls never leave a message anyway.

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  10. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me know where he is and I can arrange him needing corrective leg surgery, Mr. Lu-thor!

Fred, you have time to talk on the radio AND do great detective work?

11. N9LXI

N9LXI Ham Member QRZ Page

Paypal is so-easy to set up and use, I don't know why everyone who buys things online doesn't use it. You not only get Paypal's layer of buyer protection, but also your credit card's layer (if you set it up to pay through that way.) This is not the 1850s in the Great Plains. Anyone and EVERYONE who is looking to get paid via Western Union is either a scammer or a drug dealer. Period.

When you read "Western Union" think "Nope" and keep on scrolling. You will thank yourself later.

KA8DKT likes this.
  12. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

I buy quite a few things on QRZ, not a seller. Against my better judgment I bought a radio from a person that did not accept PP, never again, now there is an issue, they sent me the wrong mic with the radio. They want the mic back BEFORE they send me the correct one. I sent a money order to a PO Box, did a lot of research on the seller first but they seemed legit so I took a chance. Now there is an issue, I have absolutely no recourse, I have a radio with no mic, might as well have sent me a brick. I will let you know how this turns out, I expect the mic to be shipped expedited and include the packing with return postage to return the mic sent in error. Am I asking too much? I did not make this error and do not feel I am responsible for any fees, packing or postage. I will give them a chance to make good on this before I make this a public bad transaction. I'm already very disappointed but I can tell you right now, never again.

13. KI5LOV

KI5LOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for posting about this. Great information.

14. NW1L

NW1L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wow really sick people

15. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad part is years later folks are still falling for it. :(