ad: chuckmartin

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N7MFB

N7MFB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a little off topic - but scams are also prevalent on Craig's List. Some hams might try to sell their gear there and might run in to similar problems.
    We tried to sell our car on Craig's List and the only replies we got were text messages to my cell phone offering to buy the car sight unseen. All of the replies said they were purchasing the car for a relative and that we could not talk to the purchaser "in person" because they were "currently at sea".

All of these offers were scams.

73 - Bill, N7MFB

2. WJ5G

WJ5G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I owned a kennel for 20 years and during that time had every scam you could imagine tried on us. There was a period of time when we were receiving fake Postal money orders for more than the amount of the puppies with the request to send the overage with the puppy. I had been taking the fake money orders to the postal inspector and one time had the scammer actually ask that I allow someone to pick up the puppy and paid for the puppy with a fake Postal money order. The lady that showed up at the prearranged date and time to pick up the puppy was probably a bit surprised. I am not sure if she was or not because I was replaced that day by an agent of the Postal inspector. So if anyone happens to be paid with a Postal money order in a transaction that sounds too good or too shifty to be real, the Postal Inspector will gladly check the money order for authenticity and help you if there is any way he is legally able.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure about that. No Red Flag to me.

They may not deliver to your door, because most packages are delivered by USPS. Many carriers do that.

I recently ordered and DHL delivered, So did USPS.

4. W6CCC

W6CCC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a scammer who got me for a KWM-2a on an old bulletin board. I paid top dollar for it then. He claimed that a top well known very honest radio tecnician had put in all of the Collins mods etc. i knew the tech, called him and he verified he had done the various updates, repairs or whatever and that indeed Mr. X's claims erer xorrect that it truly was an excellent rig. He wanted payment only in U.S. Postal money orders. I had his name, address and telephone numer and call. After not hearing from him for about a week and trying to find out why the radio was not sent--not a word back from him The postal money order was cashed. Then I saw the same radio being offered for sale after he cashed my money orders. I immediately went to the post office and they seriously said that they will definitely check it out. I then called the Hollywood, Florida police department, they said to call back at midnight and give the desk seargent the information and that the would do something about it. I did and they went to his apartment they said they left a card to call them. Two days later they said a money order check for the full amount would be comming back to me. It diid!!!

the post office came back to me and asked if I had received the radio or the money as they were going to go after him for mail fraud... I said forget it and thanks, I had receved my money back.

what to learn here? 1) local police departments don't like scammers, they will act, but make it easy for them. A good name, address and a phone number and the case details. Always call the cops. 2) by making me pay him in Postal Money orders, probabably because being a crook, he didn't trust me--but this now put the dispute into the A federal crime issue, defrauding through mails (the PO money orders. 3) for a reference about the radio, like a technician or a 3rd party if possible to find out if that exact radio is even owned by him or a serial number to check with manufacturer.
    I hope this info helps a bit. But remember this will help you if nothing or the totally wrong thing is sent. Not for discrepancies about condition, working etc. Credit card companies might help you on this p you on these issues.

jerry

W6ccc

5. DV7NIB

DV7NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up Fred,
    I am Bob DW7NIB a retired US Marine living in the Philippines and I have trouble with people on Ebay not wanting to sell to me here in the Philippines using PayPal and a High score on Ebay,I have offered to send a copy of my Drivers Licence,DD214 and my passport but I think everyone is scared of losing their gear,but with that much proof I would accept someone's Paypal,but I do sympathise.73 Bob DW7NIB I am good on QRZ.

6. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

PayPal can help, BUT despite my constant use of the internet from the early days, I cannot bring myself to buy apiece of used gear, unseen, from someone I do not know. Just me. I guess.

7. N7KBZ

N7KBZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very informative post. Thanks for posting this.

8. G0LDJ

G0LDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much for your sterling efforts!:) A very interesting article. Here in the UK, I only buy from a reputable retailer, which sells secondhand as well as new; recently purchased a second hand Yaesu FT847 - a real GEM!
    Doug/g0ldj RNARS 3686 RAIBC 2450

9. KD0JJA

KD0JJA Ham Member QRZ Page

thank your for the life lesson perfectly documented. kd0jja

10. W3UG

W3UG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but the real question is, did you stay at an HI Express the night before? HA!! Love to assist you when the surgery is scheduled!

K4EZE (Jim)

11. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your article. WJ2L

12. AA7PE

AA7PE Ham Member QRZ Page

I add my thanks for a good read!
    Ken
    AA7PE

13. N1BBR

N1BBR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much Fred for you diligence!!
    You went way out of your way to help others from a predator.
    My very sincere thanks.
    Duane - N1BBR

14. KM4MAN

KM4MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am delighted you took the time to carefully expose this fraud. QRZ is doing a great job to support Hams around the world! Thank you!

15. KA6JMM

KA6JMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, I'm going to nominate you for a Maltese Falcon award. Great job!