ad: elecraft

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not currently.

2. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, that would be great to have JTAlert! Also, to get QRZ to upload to log FT8CALL, i have corresponded with CEO, she indicated to work with www,adif.org

Having said that, this is awesome program, this is like obtaining a Dodge Viper for free, and asking if it has XM radio!

Cheers

KN4CRD likes this.
  3. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope When ever I down load it,there is no viruses with it like there was with FT8. also I am in Vermont and on some computers when I send /VT it says I'm in INDIA . Is this going to be a freebie? or for a price? I would pay for it IF when you down load it that nasty viruses don't tag along. With WSJT-X FT8..I don't use an interface only for transmitting ( MFJ 1275 ) and decode the tones acoustically. Doing this way I have no trouble. Please keep us informed when the release date is. thank you. de ka1bsz/m

4. KN4CRD

This is free software. Free as in beer and free as in speech.

The application has been vaccinated and is up-to-date on all of its shots.

Most likely user error, unfortunately. VT is in the range of callsigns assigned to India. Adding that to your callsign is you saying you're operating from India. It's probably better to just tx "KA1BSZ VT USA" or something similar.

LB9YH likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I wonder how long it will be until the various logging organizations (QRZ, LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog, etc.) adopt this as an official mode? How long does that typically take I wonder?

Dave
    W7UUU

6. KN4CRD

A bit of time, but not an eternity. We have to petition ADIF.org to have it included in the ADIF Tables. Most of those logging orgs use those tables as the source of truth for their logs.

In the meantime, logging as FT8 w/ FT8CALL as a sub-mode, or as DATA should work fine.

7. N2LEE

N2LEE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I plan on installing FT8Call to give it a try, but regardless I applaud Jordan's creativity. Taking a technology and having a vision of how else it can be applied it where innovation comes from.

WD4IGX and KN4CRD like this.
  8. KN4CRD

Thanks. I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants...the take off angle is better up here :)

N0VFJ, LB9YH, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  9. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Why couldn't you pick frequencies not in use? Why do you have to muscle other modes out of their normal frequencies? It's not like there isn't plenty of space to chose from

1.838 3.580 and 24.920 are all PSK31. 14.080 and 21.080 are RTTY. 18.104 is JT9.

We don't need yet another mode screwing with the ones before. Those are common frequencies where everyone knows to look for those modes

NY7Q likes this.
  10. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried it last night. Pretty cool, nice work.
    Was easy as wsjt-x to configure.
    gotta read the manual, when I logged it didnt have send & rcve signal reports. But I did chat with a couple others, must have missed something
    need to get my 4 finger typing skills back as well

thanks, Bob

11. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great point - I am logging them as FT8 for the time being

12. VE3EFQ

VE3EFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Impossible to port to android? Be nice to run this mode in the bush with my tiny cell phone!

13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 came along at just the right time in the current poor solar cycle to allow
    Hams with low power and compromised antenna situations the ability to make
    some fun contacts. I see nothing wrong with this new ' tool ' in any Ham's tool box :)
    Just have fun no matter what mode / system you use :)

G3SEA/KH6

N3MLB likes this.
  14. KC8DE

KC8DE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is indeed an interesting development. FT8 was mildly interesting to me at best because it didn't seem like much more than an active beacon system. This fixes that. The only other annoying barrier is the need for an outside time source, I.E. the Internet. FT8Call sounds like a fantastic candidate for backpack radios except that there's no time source in the woods. And unfortunately, there's talk that WWV/H will be shut down (look at NIST's 2019 budget proposal).

I also concur that it should not use frequencies that other modes have occupied per the gentleman's agreement. Otherwise you might find PSK31 right on top of your QSO. Given the tiny bandwidth requirements, this shouldn't be a problem.

I'd also take care when suggesting this might eventually wind up in the phone portion of the bands. Propagation will not always be this lousy; good stewardship would go a long way in preventing future holy wars.

KC8HQX

N3MLB likes this.
  15. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have your mouse on the time update button and press when your hand held GPS ticks over to the new min. Hopefully at least a few GPS satellites survive the next Carrington flare