ad: vanity

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be all set my friends.

Please keep in mind...this app is still in development. This isn't a general release. If you're uncomfortable with pre-release software, please wait for the future general release.

2. KN4CRD

Toolchain is based on CMake. JTSDK would likely get you started.

3. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LB9YH and KN4CRD like this.
  4. KN4CRD

Depends on the time of day, but FT8CALL has been hovering there for a while :)
    Selection_084.png
    Selection_085.png

Obviously...nowhere near comparable to the behemoth that is FT8 ;)

I'll take 0.3% though.

5. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: " If you're uncomfortable with pre-release software, please wait for the future general release."

My whole life has been "pre-release" (the road less traveled.) This is not an issue ... and now that I have my sight back, I shall continue (sidelined for the last couple years). Speaking of pre-release, have you worked 630m yet? I have, from a 30x60 ft residential backyard, reference my QRZ page for a WSPR map showing the results.

6. KN4CRD

Cool. I'm definitely interested in giving 630m a try sometime :) You might have inspired my next project...

LB9YH likes this.
  7. WB5WPA

With Xp - So far, so good. Installed okay. Initial pgm operation okay. Waterfall was running okay.

Next, will plug the SignalLink into the 706MKII and give it a live, on-air try ...

KN4CRD likes this.
  8. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Jordan for the advancement of Amateur radio, I am looking forward to trying it out best of 73's

Ed
    N7XCZ

KN4CRD likes this.
  9. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait, what? I like RTTY, and typically do maybe 4 of the larger contests each year to add a bundle into the log book, but in between those few days a year,
    show me a trace of a signal on the RTTY sub-band? I'm still listening?? Hello? So I don't understand the sound of your distress that during the downtimes
    when you guys are not using the RTTY segment (like 75% to 85% of the days in a year), that no one else should make use of that space for actual QSO activity?

The key to more new people joining this hobby is to actually have activity, not spend weeks staring at dark blue pan-adapters with nothing.
    [And FT8CALL can apparently accomplish those QSOs barefoot, at times in the solar minimum, to the same destination, where RTTY requires
    full legal+ (wink wink) to punch through.]

So if these clever guys found, or find, a mode that will get people engaged and using the bands more, ALL FOR IT, 101%. This idea of "RESERVING" a chunk
    of the severely limited precious bandwidth we have, and then not using it, but for "special occasions", is more than a little lame. Sharing the segments to
    encourage utilization, but also still encouraging respect and not stomping on top of a RTTY signal, is the right way forward. Yes, yes, I do get it, at least
    half of the people NEVER read the instructions, and don't respect the rules, not out of bully or mean-ness, but just plain careless stupidity. We're human.
    But back on topic; Still, we need to share the band segments and we need to have lots of activity. That is the way to keep it all interesting and alive.

Just another personal opinion, maybe useful, and maybe not.

Neal

KG5WR, WA6GXQ, ND6M and 2 others like this.
  10. WB5WPA

FT8Call working on RX using Windows Xp, but have an issue on TX and COM5 not keying the DTR line using FT8Call, although WSPRX can key the DTR line okay. Will order a proper Signalink cable and use the Signalink VOX instead the week after next owing to commitments next week.

NN2X is blowing my socks off over here on 40m ATTM, owing to the fact he's only a few blocks away from me ...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    KN4CRD likes this.