ad: wmr-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W2PSK

W2PSK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a little confused about where to get the compiled version of this software. All I can find is source code.

Nevermind, Now the link takes me to the downloads instead of the source.

2. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W2PSK

W2PSK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm.. I click on the FT8 Call icon, the pointer spins for a moment and then nothing happens. No program. Windows 10 64 bit..

4. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a troubleshooting chatroom in the group. Post there :) or you can email me.

5. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One would think by now...

...given the immense popularity of FT8/JT65/JT9 over the past couple of years which completely revolutionized the hobby for the masses

...FT8 achieving 99.6% of all digital QSO's on Worldwide Amateur Bands this very evening

...that some of these Amateur Radio organizations which we help finance would at least submit a proposal for improved band allocation for this family of modes

...with contingency planning for additional future narrow band modes such as FT8CALL to maintain the peace with other digital modes

But no. The frequencies for these modes are prescribed by a Professor at UIUC (talented, no doubt) and the developer of FT8CALL within their software. And like cattle, we follow those frequency prescriptions and within weeks they become permanently used by the masses. If you change the frequency on your own away from that prescribed in the software, you will end up hearing static. Amateur radio is becoming cutting edge, but still very much poorly managed.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    G3SEA, N1AAE, KN4CRD and 1 other person like this.
  6. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am originator of this thread.

I see many various comments about the new mode. (FT8CALL)

Let me get back to the fact that FT8CALL is a timely and wonderful evolution of technology that now enables Ham operators to have far better chance of working DX now have a QSO AT -24dB below the noise floor

That is great full stop...!

We should be all thankful that Ham operators take time out and put in effort (Time and money) to create free and highly effective new digital mode.

Like most Hams, we desire to work DX and for me it does not matter the mode (RTTY BPSK31, CW, SSB, Thro Micro and even Olivia) none of those work as well as FT8CALL).

One can have all the contests one likes, but if the mode you are using is not able to work DX what the use?. (Unless of course you have stack antennas).

I worked today DX and had QSO with several Hams using 5 watts using a 1/4 vertical and yes a 10 wpm. I could not do this with Olivia, RTTY, CW, or the others as his signal was -23dB...

So what is the difference if you if love a particular mode but can not communicate any real distance (DX)?

FT8CALL and FT8 can work DX with ease and now have a QSO...(FT8CALL)

If we were at the peak of the sun spot cycle, most of us would be on 10 Meters SSB, and I am willing to bet the digital modes would not be that popular.

C U on the bands...NN2X

G3SEA, K8XG and N2LEE like this.
  7. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU like to work DX. YOU don't care about the mode. Remember...that is you. You can't speak for all hams. I've worked RTTY into Bulgaria...PSK31 into Europe several times... I don't measure my fun in distance. Many hams don't. We just have fun. How you have fun may be different than others. What's important is that we all share and not encroach on others and impede their enjoyment

KC8DE likes this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Downloaded the software tonight will give it a spin around the block to see how it works running a few tests now to see that all is well with the hardware and software so far no problems.

I am more interested in commending this young man for his talent than I am worrying about get off my lawn xxxxxx frequency.

9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think some are missing the point about how FT8-based modes blast out things around them. It's useless to say the bandwidth used by FT8 modes is small, when others nearby basically have to avoid having it in their waterfall at all, or it will seriously impact all signals they are trying to RX.

If someone plops an FT8 signal in the middle of a PSK area, it's like farting in an elevator.

It is not a friendly mode -- 5w or 500w, because it blows-out signals anywhere near it. I also think there should be a different area for it -- away from other digital modes.

KC8DE likes this.
  10. LB9YH

LB9YH Ham Member QRZ Page

N02Y, 14.074 is, or was Olivia/Contestia(& variants) watering hole. It was used often by Olivia ops, NETS going there often. Then FT8 came and "took" that frequency, this forced Olivia users further down to borderline PSK frequencies. Then the contest mode in FT8 came, forcing Olivia users to "move over" into PSK frequencies. I don't know why JT had to go down to 73/74, now that JT65/JT9 is almost dead. It is definatly not following the Gentalmans agreement (which actually was for the AM portion of 80 and 40m). RTTY, IMHO, has lots of room, and very seldom used other than during contests. Maybe FT8Call can find a place at the upper part of the RTTY slice?

I like PSK, Olivia and MFSK and other digital modes, and I don't like high power FT8 operations near those frequencies due to harmonics and AGC forcing other weak signals(psk etc) down due to high power FT8 ops.

KE0EYJ and KC8DE like this.