ad: elecraft

3Y0J Bouvet Island - Almost There!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 31, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The main issue is many Hams use WSJT-X software while 3Y0J chose JTDX.
    When switching to F/H in WSJT-X the ability to choose odd/even TX is removed, it selects the proper split and the option becomes grayed out.
    In normal mode (non F/H) the software automatically selects the proper split according to the split your intended contact is using.

JTDX is opposite and allows users to select split on their own. 3Y0J (using FTDX) selected the wrong split thus causing great confusion and screwing ops out of a contact. Those ops were chastised on the cluster, even posting their calls, all over a brain fart 3Y0J caused.

It would have been simple, and intelligent, to post what software you're going to use on their website where they list frequencies, modes and FT8 F/H. Dom from Rebel DX and many others do this to avoid issues.

I believe FT8WW also made this mistake and caused weeks worth of confusion.

KR3DX likes this.
  2. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

It was too late to edit my previous post, but I just tried the "Control-E" instructions. It didn't work for me with version 2.6.1 of WSJT-X. I should have tried it before I posted the instructions. My fault, I should have known better.

N8ZI likes this.
  3. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure this is not pirates operating on the wrong time slot in FT-8? I have observed this and their signal seems to be too strong to be Bouvet island.

KR3DX likes this.
  4. N8ZI

Great email but too late for a lot of operators. If they actually figure this out, they can try again for a Q.

5. KR3DX

There have been a lot of pirates, but it appears that the legitimate 3Y0J has been transmitting on the nonstandard cycle in fox/hound mode. What a mess.

N8ZI and W0PV like this.
  6. NA5WH

NA5WH Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is Fox/Hound mode long ago had very specific instructions and operation set drafted, specifically with a lot of things locked down, like who transmits even, to attempt to minimize QRM issues... that ANY of the other software packages let you change even/odd basically means the mess we have here.... I am really a bit surprised the operators there don't understand why it was written the way it was written and know how it is supposed to be. How can you work a mode and not understand how it is supposed to be operated?

Just like as a hound, it should not be decoding anything above 1000 Hz.... so that it can complete deep-decodes on the area the fox should be (and anyone they are actually hearing) so you can see that activity faster and with lower dB. People doing 'fake' fox/hound often don't realize that you have to move TWICE in a very short period of time to prevent qrm... when first called you are to go TO the SPECIFIC stream that called you's df... (so you better know which of the 2-5 streams that is) send your r-.. then immediately move ~+300 hz... because your "RR73" also includes a signal report for the next hound and THAT hound will automatically be moved to where you are now. This is how you can get twice the qsos of Ft8 or MSHV... it allows 1 stream to handle 2 calls at the same time.... so 5 streams can handle 10 calls, provided that the hounds can HEAR the fox they are working (which is an implicit instruction in fox/hound and is assumed, since we should all be good DXers). Of course if you can't hear the fox and are calling in the blind, this really does mess up how this works... and slows down to sub-ft8 speed. But yeah, some people think this is a set and forget mode and can just call and call...... and they become qrm and a slow down for everyone. Just like the poeple sitting below 1000 calling with a locator.... they will never be called, are just QRM.

N8ZI and KR3DX like this.
  7. KR3DX

From one of the ops on Bouvet:

We are using wsjt-x f/h and ONLY xmit on the even sequence. Max two streams.
    If you hear otherwise it's a pirate.
    73 Dave WD5COV

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    N8ZI likes this.
  8. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what I thought was true.

I you hear them xmitting on odd, they are pirates. Many have been fooled by this.

I am glad it has been clarified. Is that official?

KR3DX likes this.
  9. N8ZI

That's rather odd, since it has been occurring from their first FT8 transmissions and continues now. One can go back and read all the cluster posts on this issue.

Every time I've seen them posted and heard them running FT8, it has been bass akwards. This will be one massive nightmare when all those operators are informed they worked a pirate.

KR3DX, W9FL and PY2NEA like this.
  10. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

It really appears to me to be pirates transmitting on the odd time slot on FT8. The signals are too strong to be from Bouvet. There is also massive disinformation on the DX clusters, and Facebook comments.

N8ZI and KR3DX like this.
  11. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yea I saw a CQ from 3Y0J at -01 in Reno Nevada Ha ha ha did they put up a 100 foot tower and go QRO
    overnight?!

N8ZI, PY2NEA and W9FL like this.
  12. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

What a bummer. I have the best station I've ever had and I have hardly seen this DXpedition on the air at all. What a tremendous waste of time and resources it has been for them to go there and not make the QSOs. If I can't even see them on FT8, I sure as hell aren't going to hear them on phone.

W9FL, N8ZI and W1BR like this.
  13. N8ZI

I'm with you on that !!
    Allegedly 3Y0J took 10 SPE Expert amps, 14 transceivers, and Yagis but yet they are only using 2 radios and wire antennas?
    The SPE amps are very small and only weight about 35lbs so zero excuses not to bring them on the island.

$815,000.00 US dollars for a QRP DXpedition that not many actually hear, then charging an additional $15 per qsl card is ridiculous.

PY2NEA likes this.
  14. IK3UMT

IK3UMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't trust so much in callsings used , only a fool would use his own call for making deliberate qrm, or one should realize quickly that SPLIT isn't engaged.
    It's a psycho-sociopathic war.

On the other hand, no one picture from inside tent, no pictures of operations from camp, and last no log yet uploaded that would stop thousand callers and dupes searching for the certainty of an official QSO.
    No way for a 100$ 300ft wireless link between camp and boat ?

PY2NEA and N8ZI like this.
  15. IK3UMT

IK3UMT Ham Member QRZ Page

And what about 3Y7GIA story ?? :eek:

W0PV likes this.