ad: Flexradio-1

3Y0J Bouvet Island - Almost There!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 31, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

The 3Y0J team have Bouvet Island in sight!

https://www.dx-world.net/3y0j-bouvet-2023/

Whilst we wait for them to safely disembark and get setup, here is a presentation on what it will look like and the challenges involved!

VK5VBR, VK5FUSE, N9TNT and 22 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not possible to understate the COURAGE these DXpeditioners are showing. There is a GOOD chance they will not be able to land at all, and a BEST chance they will only stay for 7-10 days rather than the 22 OTA. The weather and seas are a special kind of hell down there...

So be patient, please no 'assurance' contacts, and pray for good fortune and the safety of the DXpeditioners!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    WB8ROI, W0AAE, W2TB and 31 others like this.
  3. N9NY

N9NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I watched a YouTube presentation made by one of the leaders to a VK club. Talk about organized an well thought out! DXpeditions have come a very long way. Cheers and be safe to this 3Y team!
    73 Gregg N9NY

AC7S, KJ7KSX, N4FZ and 4 others like this.
  4. KP4CAR

KP4CAR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with you.

W2TB, W1BR, KJ7KSX and 4 others like this.
  5. NC8R

NC8R Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ7KSX, N4FZ, M1WML and 16 others like this.
  6. NC8R

NC8R Ham Member QRZ Page

N4FZ, M1WML, VK5FUSE and 1 other person like this.
  7. G8NOD

G8NOD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in awe of these guys. All the luck in the world. Look forward to a 75M contact. 73 G4IIA

AC7S, N4FZ, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  8. KA4JAM

KA4JAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are they only going to be operating on General frequencies? I am still a Technician.

M1WML likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Sure! They will DEFINITELY be on CW on 80, 40 and 15 and you have privileges there as well as CW/SSB on 10 of course

But you have PLENTY of time to upgrade. They're going to be there at least a week to 10 days - weather permitting - and up to 22 days if they are able to keep the original plan.

Get studying NOW and pass the next VE test in your area on Monday (or Saturday or whenever they test). Even if you don't have your official license issued, once you pass you can sign KQ4CCQ/AG (or AE)

Dave
    W7UUU

KB1MM, K8PG, N4FZ and 8 others like this.
  10. KA4JAM

I'm not taking the test until 2 months from now. I was hoping I could've passed the test a month ago, but I failed. I don't have time to upgrade, sadly.

11. NC8R

NC8R Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep an eye on 80/40/15m CW and 10m CW/SSB just like @W7UUU was saying.
    Watch the DX spots http://dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=3Y0J and wait until you see them on a frequency that you can operate on.

N4FZ, M1WML, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Well, there's certainly CW on 80, 40, and 15 but gonna be a LOT quicker to just bone up on the book, memorize the answers, and find a VE site fast - even if you were to have to drive a bit or give up something else time-wise to make it happen.

Point being: it's NOT HARD to go from Tech to General these days. 35 questions from a book that are easily memorized. MUCH faster than learning Morse or hoping the Bouvet team spends lots of time in the USA Tech segment of 10 meters SSB (not likely - maybe a short stint but don't hold your breath)

Dave
    W7UUU

M1WML, W4PG and KR3DX like this.
  13. KA4JAM

Alright, thank for that.

M1WML and W7UUU like this.
  14. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

January????

M1WML likes this.
  15. W7UUU

Well, next time YOU take a sailboat to the remotest island on earth just North of Antarctica, and plan it years ahead, you will be spot on with your schedule plans.

Dave
    W7UUU

WB9AZA, M1WML, AK5B and 8 others like this.