ad: Alphaant-1

3Y0J Bouvet Island - Almost There!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 31, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

§97.305 Authorized emission types.
    (a) Except as specified elsewhere in this part, an amateur station may transmit a CW emission on
    any frequency authorized to the control operator.
    (b) A station may transmit a test emission on any frequency authorized to the control operator for
    brief periods for experimental purposes, except that no pulse modulation emission may be transmitted on
    any frequency where pulse is not specifically authorized and no SS modulation emission may be
    transmitted on any frequency where SS is not specifically authorized.
    (c) A station may transmit the following emission types on the frequencies indicated, as authorized
    to the control operator, subject to the standards specified in §97.307(f) of this part.

17 m 18.068-18.110 MHz RTTY, data (3).
    17 m 18.110-18.168 MHz Phone, image (1), (2).

(f) The following standards and limitations apply to transmissions on the frequencies specified in
    §97.305(c) of this part.
    (1) No angle-modulated emission may have a modulation index greater than 1 at the highest
    modulation frequency.
    (2) No non-phone emission shall exceed the bandwidth of a communications quality phone emission
    of the same modulation type. The total bandwidth of an independent sideband emission (having B as the
    first symbol), or a multiplexed image and phone emission, shall not exceed that of a communications
    quality A3E emission.
    (3) Only a RTTY or data emission using a specified digital code listed in §97.309(a) of this part may
    be transmitted. The symbol rate must not exceed 300 bauds, or for frequency-shift keying, the frequency
    shift between mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz.

NA5WH and W1BR like this.
  2. G1DFN

G1DFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Today and yesterday I listened on the band for 3y0j and I was appalled by the standard of the European "operators". Many stations calling continuously (many on the guys transmit frquency) and the majority of these morons were Italian and one IT9 in particular. There was one exception onWednesday and that was a certain YT1T, whose operating was a total disgrace to the hobby. We suffered mic keyers, jamming, music played, foul language etc etc both on the transmit and listening frequency from mainland Europe and I was so disgusted i just switched off. If this is the way amateur radio is going then it is a sad way, a poor way, a morons way and I think I may just have to think wether my 40yrs as a ham has had to come to an end.

N8ZI and KR3DX like this.
  3. KR3DX

Yes Fred, but it's not just the Europeans, it's a worldwide problem. It's not just ham radio, it's society in general that has degenerated to the level of savages.

WA7JTM, K0DUC, DL6BCX and 6 others like this.
  4. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According to an email today from Bart Jahnke W9JJ Regultory Manager for the ARRL--Operating FT 8 at 18110 is not allowed for FCC licensed amateurs. The Bouvet Operating plan called for FT 8 at 18090- 18107--The frequency used is for European and at least Brazilian licensed amateurs--I doo not know about Region 3 at the moment. The US is cur out of the loop for FT 8 on 17m for Bouvet.

PY2NEA and KR3DX like this.
  5. KR3DX

6. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That happens when people make a left turn.

AE8EM, KF5VDX, W9FL and 2 others like this.
  7. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I HATE FT-8 so it's no loss for me but we have a Band Plan & I have always understood that CW & Digital modes may be used anywhere on the bands. I for sure don't trust Anything the ARRL says.

Clayton
    W4KVW

N8ZI and PY2NEA like this.
  8. KR3DX

They must be in Albuquerque:)

9. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well good for you! How many times have you and other expressed your same opinion and has it changed anything? No! And it never will.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    KO4NRT, N7XCZ and W9FL like this.
  10. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You crack me up Clayton...This hobby has so many aspects for one to enjoy--you found yours, obviously--smile, enjoy life and let others enjoy their parts of the hobby.

N7XCZ likes this.
  11. NA5WH

NA5WH Ham Member QRZ Page

While CW is....(provided you have authority to the frequency in your license), all other emission types are restricted to locations the FCC designates... Part 97 is quite clear on this. Only except to this is in case of a life threatening emergency.

12. KR3DX

Maybe this will clear up some confusion:

from W3UR:

3Y0J is not using MSHV. They are using fox and Hound, as they have said for days. Unfortunately they are transmitting on the wrong sequence (odd). There are two ways you can call them on even.

1. Use JTDX software in Hound mode and click on their call. JTDX allows you to be the Hound in either sequence. So you can call them even.

2. You can use WSJT but do not turn on Fox and Hound. You must be calling them above 1000 hz. If they come back to you then you need to quickly change your transmit frequency below 1000 hz but must be above their transmit frequencies. It’s tricky and you have to be quick but it can be done.

Bernie McClenny, W3UR

13. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a massive screw up on the DXpedition part. Think about the thousands of operators wasting hours apiece using traditional "tried and true" software only to find out the DX was in some alternate reality. I just figured this out myself a few hours ago, then downloaded and set up JTDX.

I might have got them on 30 CW an hour ago but with their weak signal, jammers and lids, it's not a definite Q. Some a$$wipe was sending digital on their CW frequency.

KR3DX likes this.
  14. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

it m must be horrible out there. i hate the cold wish them luck.

15. KR3DX

Yes, I agree. They should have anticipated that their instructions to "always use fox/hound mode" would result in chaos and confusion with far fewer stations being able to work them. This explains why there were so many stations calling on the wrong cycle, they weren't lids, they were just following the "official" instructions provided by the DXpedition organizers. If you supply explicit instructions, you should make sure that those instructions are correct and complete and won't cause any foreseeable issues.

I just received an e-mail with the following instructions for the WSJT-X program:

IMPORTANT INFO:

From "FT8 Operating Guide" by Gary Hinson, ZL2IFB. section 12.12:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    If for some reason a fox is transmitting on the odd/2nd periods, hounds
    can use control-E to force their transmissions to the Even/1st periods
    even though in WSJT-X the Tx even/1st option on the screen is greyed out
    in DXpedition mode ► As well as not being active to select the period, it
    doesn’t show the current status. Use shift-E to return to the odd/2nd
    periods, the default.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    73 & GL,
    Wayne, W0ZW